Re-Entering Labor Union after going to Management

N

NewSup

Hi. I was recently "promoted" to become a PT Supervisor after spending 7 months as an unloader. I am in college right now working towards a finance degree, so I thought the best choice for my career was to become a PT sup. I was wrong. I was very happy with my job as an unloader, I was a very hard worker, got along great with my PT and FT sups, and loved the benefits and money for school. However, I made a HUGE mistake by going into this hell-fest.

My first 3 days were spent watching a sup for a load pad who had no interest in training me do his job, then after that I was on my own. No training, no feedback, and it was nearly impossible to get any help from my overworked fulltimer. A month into this I find myself looking happily upon lower paying jobs with less benefits.

Is there anyway to re-enter the union after going to management? I don't want to ask my fulltimer as it'll probably look pretty bad on me.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
My understanding 2 1/2 years ago when I was considering a p/t position in management was you'd have to quit and be re-hired. The opinion is pretty mixed on here about getting re-hired. If its the same building and shift...probably not.

Slowestdriver in America

Drive to stay Alive
Hi. I was recently "promoted" to become a PT Supervisor after spending 7 months as an unloader. I am in college right now working towards a finance degree, so I thought the best choice for my career was to become a PT sup. I was wrong. I was very happy with my job as an unloader, I was a very hard worker, got along great with my PT and FT sups, and loved the benefits and money for school. However, I made a HUGE mistake by going into this hell-fest.

My first 3 days were spent watching a sup for a load pad who had no interest in training me do his job, then after that I was on my own. No training, no feedback, and it was nearly impossible to get any help from my overworked fulltimer. A month into this I find myself looking happily upon lower paying jobs with less benefits.

Is there anyway to re-enter the union after going to management? I don't want to ask my fulltimer as it'll probably look pretty bad on me.
Ask the center manager the local policy. I was pt sup and when I left they told me it is almost imposssible to go back to hourly. I did, though. But it was because I did it for a year and a half and had a spotless record.

cental34

Take it from someone who's done it, you'd have to quit and be rehired, and I don't even know that's how it goes. I was like you: a damn good worker, enjoying the job and in college. Got promoted. I didn't mind the supervising job. It was gooid pay and good benefits for a college student, but I was offered another job that I felt I couldn't turn down. Well, that job didn't work out, so I came crawling back. They rehired me, and from what I heard my full-time supervisor went through hell to make sure I was in unload. So, here I am. Now trying to go back into supervising. I've had some people tell me, I was supposed to be rehired as a supervisor, as the official rule is you can not go back to being an hourly. Although HR and management assures me I'm where I'm supposed to be.

I do recall from the first time I was promoted that you have a 2 week window to step down if you wish to, and you'd be allowed to go back to being an hourly, but I guess you're passed that, eh?

Talk with HR. Maybe you could see about being rehired.

trickpony1

"Although HR and management assures me I'm where I'm supposed to be.".

Do you think they could be any more condescending?

I'm surprised they didn't force you to get a scarlet letter (of their choosing) tattooed on your forehead to show everyone that you have broken ranks with the elite.

mofbombshell

"Although HR and management assures me I'm where I'm supposed to be.".

Do you think they could be any more condescending?

I'm surprised they didn't force you to get a scarlet letter (of their choosing) tattooed on your forehead to show everyone that you have broken ranks with the elite.

well said sir

HazMatMan

I don't know what UPS says or offers most of these new kids but they seem to think being a supervisor is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Supervision is not for everybody, but it seems UPS does not care, I have seen people become supervisors after only a few months of working, what could you possibly learn about the operations in a few months? Most supervisors work anyway, so I guess they got a slight raise don't have to pay union dues and have no job security, hey, if that's your cup of tea then I say go for it.. And by the way I am not in management and this is only my opinion, please do not come attacking me please, I've been there for 18 years and have seen a lot.. To answer your question, part time sups can become full time drivers...