re organization of OTR. sleeper runs?

xracer

Dill, at the time, I wanted NOTHING to do w/sleepers. Didn't have anything to prevent me, just didn't want it. WWWEEELLL...after a couple years of these low to NO senior drivers dropping down 6-figure W-2s, I said, "Why not?"

Just how much are sleeper drivers making would have to be a big improvement to make me consider switching if they were to offer a sleeper route out of our center, which they have talked about before but never materialized. I have no problem making just under 100k and could clear that if I desired but prefer to stay on days instead and we have one driver in our center that made over 108k this year.

xracer

I call BS...On the pkg driver at 105.000 NOT POSS!!!

Saw his last paycheck stub was $108,342 and change. He works 59.99 hours every week and takes any extra work offered, when it is Sunday work money is a lot better, pretty sure that he cashes in his sick days and rovers and has been known to come in and work on his vacation. If I had not seen the final check of the year I might have called BS on it also, but I assure you that it is completely true.

lazydriver

When I did sleeper team in 1998 the rate was 54 cents a mile and some of the eastcoast drivers were close to 100K. When the run was canceled, I was hoping to follow the work to Columbia SC or Jacksonville Fl. but they would not let me, They only offered a transfer to Philadelphia Pa. It's difficult trying to sleep in a moving bed and you do have to hustle to get the loads in on time.

rushfan

I heard SLC wants to get rid of mileage runs from Wamsutter. They want to put the loads on the train from Denver.

I heard SLC wants to get rid of mileage runs from Wamsutter. They want to put the loads on the train from Denver.
They just cancelled 5 wamsutters here in Denver. I know they would probably like to put everything on the rail, but, language in the contract prohibits too much put on the train. Also, if volume slows so much as they have to lay off too many feeders, they are suppose to take volume OFF the rail to create jobs. Anyway, Colorado and Wyoming are the worst driving conditions in the country! IMHO. Most of Denvers major accidents are in Wyoming. The wind, the wind, and snow and ice. Once you hit I-80 West bound you've entered a frozen hell!

rushfan

I've heard of ground blizzards on I-80 and ice. Not fun driving in that sh**T. I did hear there is language in the contract that prohibits using the train too much. IMHO Union Pacific will promise the moon to UPS to get the loads in time to SLC. In the past they did, and didn't come through-meaning missed packages etc.

There was one mileage guy who is a legend in our area. He would coast down hills without his tractor in gear. The IVIS report says he was going 100. Also another blew an engine when attempting to put the tractor back in gear. Those guys are nicknamed "Bill Gates". They would run SLC-Wamsutter-SLC in 8 hours, then bump guys from pulling "rails", CPU's, and extra work. They easily made 120 K a year.

They would run SLC-Wamsutter-SLC in 8 hours, then bump guys from pulling "rails", CPU's, and extra work. They easily made 120 K a year.
Same thing here. They come back and run a pig or 2 at 45 bucks an hour. It's like, "hey, save some scraps for me"! You guys already make 100k plus!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I know of a few of the Columbia SC sleepers that break 100K. It's not all that hard to do now, even in just feeders. I was well on my way until I was bumped off my Atlanta run. I was pulling down over 1k a week take home, and on the new run, it's back to 700. Gee I miss that run.