Recent On Call

AB831

Actually, FedEx management has always said that ontime pickups are more important than ontime deliveries.
That makes sense. There's so many extenuating circumstances for why a delivery could be late. There really aren't many acceptable ones in the customer's eyes for why a pickup driver can't make it to them on time.

MassWineGuy

I misspoke in my original post. The customer uttered the three magic words any courier pressed for time wants to hear: Can you wait?

MassWineGuy

I have had more than a few customers, both regular and on calls, express astonishment when I told them that no, I cannot wait two minutes. They seem incapable of seeing the big picture of what happens if I wait a few minutes for several customers.

vantexan

DHL is hardly much of a presence in the US anymore. Not many people would even think about using them since they ceased domestic operations 12 years ago.
They're the world's biggest shipper. Hard to break into the U.S. market, but they lead just about everywhere else.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My favorite response: You have 3 minutes, and the clock is ticking!

I'd usually wait around unless they told me they'd just put it in a dropbox or it was going to be a significant wait. The exception was when they'd call in an oncall at the very last minute (during rush hour) with an hour window, and I'd get there only to find that it wasn't ready, they hadn't even started putting it together, and they didn't think we'd get there until right before the close time. That was when I had a pickup route.

When I was a swing I didn't do much waiting regardless.

AB831

I have had more than a few customers, both regular and on calls, express astonishment when I told them that no, I cannot wait two minutes. They seem incapable of seeing the big picture of what happens if I wait a few minutes for several customers.
I always would think to ask the mailman to wait two or three minutes while you run back in the house and see where he is when you return. No one would actually ask that, so why do customers think it's different for us?