Recently hired at a hub

OfficerZulu

So I was recently hired at a UPS facility and I'm still in the 40 day probation period. I keep hearing that UPS will always promote from within and that the pay may not be the best now but it will go up if I stay there and keep signing the bid sheets.
The question is, is there any truth to that? Or is that just something they like to tell new hires to encourage them to work harder and motivate them?
My FT supervisor told me if I was interested I could start training to be a PT supervisor immediately and to just let him know.
Is this legit at all? At this point I'm still in my first week.

I've worked at a UPS facility before this one in the past and Im currently a manager with a McDonald's restaurant. Is that why they want me for a PT supervisor position or am I being taken for a ride?

Box Ox

I've worked at a UPS facility before this one in the past and Im currently a manager with a McDonald's restaurant. Is that why they want me for a PT supervisor position or am I being taken for a ride?

They're 100% taking you for a ride. They ask nearly everyone if they want to be a PT supervisor before they get enough time under their belt to know better than to accept the "promotion." If it were actually a desirable position they wouldn't be asking you to sign up during your first week.

OfficerZulu

They're 100% taking you for a ride. They ask nearly everyone if they want to be a PT supervisor before they get enough time under their belt to know better than to accept the "promotion." If it were actually a desirable position they wouldn't be asking you to sign up during your first week.

I don't really mind if it's a less than desirable position tbh. Imho the $19.00 starting pay and increased hours make up for it.
If I tell my supervisor I'd like the position realistically how long until they make me a PT supervisor?

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't really mind if it's a less than desirable position tbh. Imho the $19.00 starting pay and increased hours make up for it.
If I tell my supervisor I'd like the position realistically how long until they make me a PT supervisor?
The real question is "how long will you remain a PT sup. Big turnover there just as there is with the hourly. At this stage of the game I would say run as fast as you can to a trade school and forget ANYTHING UPS.

OfficerZulu

Not really sure lol. Big question is why is there such a huge turnover rate when the pay is at $19.00? I mean as a manager for McDonald's that's nearly double.

trickpony1

Not really sure lol. Big question is why is there such a huge turnover rate when the pay is at $19.00? I mean as a manager for McDonald's that's nearly double.

As a manager of McD's do you blow smoke up a new employee's pant leg and tell them you see potential and they should be a PT supe?

There's your answer.

Box Ox

That's exactly what a former preloader gone PT supervisor who was hired days after I was once said when I told him not to do it. I could see the pain in his eyes the first day I went FT driving and saw him on the belt. If only he'd just waited a little longer. He' stuck as a lower paid sup.....

Sheikyrbouti

From my limited experience, just made my 30 days last week, it’s not hard to move around. Hired in for day unload but signed a bid sheet for pt driver after my first week. I just took the DOT physical this morning to start driver training. Anything has to be better than unloading trucks all day lol.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
From my limited experience, just made my 30 days last week, it’s not hard to move around. Hired in for day unload but signed a bid sheet for pt driver after my first week. I just took the DOT physical this morning to start driver training. Anything has to be better than unloading trucks all day lol.
you will learn how to email it

Indecisi0n

So I was recently hired at a UPS facility and I'm still in the 40 day probation period. I keep hearing that UPS will always promote from within and that the pay may not be the best now but it will go up if I stay there and keep signing the bid sheets.
The question is, is there any truth to that? Or is that just something they like to tell new hires to encourage them to work harder and motivate them?
My FT supervisor told me if I was interested I could start training to be a PT supervisor immediately and to just let him know.
Is this legit at all? At this point I'm still in my first week.

A red flag should go up when thry are asking you to be management when you are still in probation. They don't fully know how good of a worker you are and you still have no clue what your doing but they want you to manage other people?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A red flag should go up when thry are asking you to be management when you are still in probation. They don't fully know how good of a worker you are and you still have no clue what your doing but they want you to manage other people?

He’s special you can see it in his eyes