Recording Phone Calls with Management

oldngray

nowhere special
The company overreaches with the contractual language regarding "recording devices".
In my opinion, that language is intended to protect the company from employees recording information or images that could be considered "proprietary".
In the OP's example, I don't foresee any trade secrets being disseminated between an On-Road Supervisor and a driver while contemplating an on-road instruction.
The company, on many occasions, produce pictures and videos to make their case against a union employee.
Why should we not be afforded the same resources in exposing a member of management who isn't playing by the rules?

They company feels it has the right to record anything they want yet try to ban employees from doing anything similar. Very definitely a double standard. If I was on the phone with UPS now I wouldn't care what UPS wanted. What are they going to do? Fire me? :rofl:

I don't know why.
It would be my position that the call was mutually agreed to by both parties, unless management specifically instructed the employee not to call anymore.
I have never been discouraged to call my management team with a concern or problem, actually to the contrary.
How could this construed as stealing time, if that's your point?

P.S. Calling me Ace is accurate, as I had my first hole-in-one about a month ago.
I wasn't talking about stealing time I was talking about recording conversations while on company time if you're at your house you can record any conversation you're having with them but if you're on the clock at UPS you can't record anything. Congratulations on the hole-in-one by the way.

Ps it's become apparent that my grammar and spelling are not up to par and I would like to point out that I'm using the voice recorder to text while posting on this site at this very moment and that's why that's not going to help me in that matter anyway.

Sorry for any confusion fraternally yours Mr. Bojangles

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Uh....

The OP's post, concerned being "harassed" via cell phone. (company calling them)
Uh....

That isn't what the OP's post states.
Nowhere do they imply who called who, nor do they reference being "harassed"?

If that is "the way you roll".... have at it.

There are drivers, that don't play the company game.

-Bug-

I "roll" with the circumstances at hand, at the moment.
The company has demonstrated a "selective" ability to reproduce DIAD text messages.
While always able to produce a hard copy of DIAD messages when they are incriminating to the driver, they routinely claim that "others" cannot be retrieved.
My phone records are mine and lend credibility to my claims that I communicated with management.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The company has demonstrated a "selective" ability to reproduce DIAD text messages.
While always able to produce a hard copy of DIAD messages when they are incriminating to the driver, they routinely claim that "others" cannot be retrieved.

The company is full of smilet .... when they say that.

Everyone knows that.

Use the Diad text messaging and take pics. Never call them.

-Bug-

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
So, there are some really easy apps out there (like Record My Call) that will automatically record your conversations.

I live in a "one-party" state, which means that as long as one party in a conversation is aware of the recording, it can be recorded legally. If you are in a conversation, you obviously have your own consent, so you can record all your own conversations.

I'm not sure about how that works with employers, or if the game changes for some reason. Do any of you do this?

It's not exactly unheard of for management to tell you to do something over the phone so that they don't have record of it in the DIAD (usually when telling you to do something unethical or against methods), or deny that a call was made, or deny what was said, etc.

I would only keep these calls to use as an absolute last resort in case my job was on the line. Can anybody comment on whether this is an offense itself? I know cameras and recorders are no-no's in the hub, but what about recording my own phone conversations, especially as a driver with my on-car sup?

My first question is Why would you follow any instruction that is immoral, illegal or unsafe? Never do this!! If you feel they are telling you to do something outside the methods that could result in you getting in trouble later, ask them to put in writing that you are instructed to do it. If they will not, don't do it!!

My second question would be why are you using your cell phone? Every communication I have with the center is thru the DIAD!!

After that I would say your probably asking for trouble recording anything to do with UPS!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Everyone knows that.

-Bug-
Isn't taking pictures of the DIAD message using a "recording device" while on the clock?
How is that any different than recording a phone call?
Also, I can take a picture of my DIAD message before I send it, but I can't prove I actually sent it.

Isn't taking pictures of the DIAD message using a "recording device" while on the clock?
Also, I can take a picture of my DIAD message before I send it, but I can't prove I actually sent it.

You can in video mode.

When mgmt calls and you answer just say that canned msg you hear on every customer service call.
"Phone calls may be recorded for quality assurance"

Now every one is aware.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Everyone knows that.

-Bug-
A few weeks ago...I was out as a helper...and shocking...the OC screwed up my hours on my paycheck. When brought to his attention....he looks up my hrs on a computer. He insisted I was wrong.....So...he logs into another computer...and I watched him pull up said driver's diad info...it showed all info....and even had a pull down screen for incoming/outgoing messages...all diad messages are retrievable.....they are FOS.

oldngray

nowhere special
A few weeks ago...I was out as a helper...and shocking...the OC screwed up my hours on my paycheck. When brought to his attention....he looks up my hrs on a computer. He insisted I was wrong.....So...he logs into another computer...and I watched him pull up said driver's diad info...it showed all info....and even had a pull down screen for incoming/outgoing messages...all diad messages are retrievable.....they are FOS.

They can track every time a driver farts.

wayfair

swollen member
If you have a conversation with management and it gets uncomfortable, call your steward and let them know ASAP or have one close to you

We've had pictures of diad messages presented at hearing and panel. It you take the pic on a recorded breat at Burger King you are good.

When I get msgs that are questionable I photograph them all the time and mgmt is aware.
Cool but if I as a labor manager I'd ask you if you were on break when you were taking pictures of messages. If your say no we'd have problems depending on the circumstances. I've seen it happen. I'm sure you are the kinda guy that can sit out and wait for months without pay but most can't. Some will say they can but in the real world balls shrivel up quite quick.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Here's a sorta related question. I used to take pics of DIAD messages a lot. I informed my steward of that and he told me it wasn't necessary. He told me, ATL has records of all messages and that, even if they were deleted locally, they're still on record and the union has access to them at anytime.

Is he correct? If Bug recommends taking pics, I'm thinking maybe not.

Sent using a Potato

Ouch

I don'tkknow about the latest did but the last one had a speaker. Wonder if they could hear us cussing them out while driving down the road? :censored2:

kingOFchester

Why the pissing contest over recording the conversation? Simple solution here gang, When the OP gets a call from management, here is how to answer the phone "Hi, I am informing you that my phone records all conversations."

Sup/manager will not instruct you to do anything shady knowing you record. They can not go after you for using a recording device. You started out the conversation stating what your phone does. It isn't UPS property or a requirement for employment. At this point it is the same as a sup sending you a text message to your phone. They are now aware that the call is being recorded just as their text would be recorded if sent to your phone.

Move on.

Last edited:
Cool but if I as a labor manager I'd ask you if you were on break when you were taking pictures of messages. If your say no we'd have problems depending on the circumstances. I've seen it happen. I'm sure you are the kinda guy that can sit out and wait for months without pay but most can't. Some will say they can but in the real world balls shrivel up quite quick.

When I have dispatch telling me to break the law, do something unsafe, etc, and I take a pic of the screen and then take it directly to the on road mgr upon my return then labor is not going to come into factor on it.