Relief Driver skipped

Lately i have been having an issue not being called into work in seniority order. I am a relief driver and people below me are being called in first and I've been getting stuck with the late crappy jobs. My shop Steward said there's nothing I can do as long as I am working more hours the the people below me. Is this true?

They might be available for work before your 10hrs is up that’s only reason I would see them calling them in before you. Even though you have more seniority than the other relief drivers

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Lately i have been having an issue not being called into work in seniority order. I am a relief driver and people below me are being called in first and I've been getting stuck with the late crappy jobs. My shop Steward said there's nothing I can do as long as I am working more hours the the people below me. Is this true?

Your Steward is correct, and also incorrect, unless your building has a policy of choosing open routes by seniority.

As long as they are working someone under you, they have to work you, but you are not guaranteed more hours than them.

You are guaranteed 8 hours if you work, but are not guaranteed to get the best route, or the route getting the most hours.

Extra work does go by seniority, but a route, even those that may get more OT than others, is not extra work.

I also believe in seniority and the benefits that come with it. Ask your Sup why they are not calling you first, and if they aren't, ask them if they could call you first, due to your seniority.

But ask nice, because they may not necessarily have to.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Your Steward is correct, and also incorrect, unless your building has a policy of choosing open routes by seniority.

As long as they are working someone under you, they have to work you, but you are not guaranteed more hours than them.

You are guaranteed 8 hours if you work, but are not guaranteed to get the best route, or the route getting the most hours.

Extra work does go by seniority, but a route, even those that may get more OT than others, is not extra work.

I also believe in seniority and the benefits that come with it. Ask your Sup why they are not calling you first, and if they aren't, ask them if they could call you first, due to your seniority.

But ask nice, because they may not necessarily have to.
This is how it has always worked in my experience here as well, but am interested in your opinion as to why that is the case???

While it makes complete sense to me on the delivery end, where "a fair day's work, for a fair day's pay" makes it impossible for the Union to recognize the Company's standards, and subsequently their delivery dispatching.

....it conversely makes "zero sense" when it is time commitments on late pick-ups that keep routes out well past others???

Seems to me, at least within a loop, grieving inequitable distribution of OT as a result of pick-up time commits should be feasible???

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Seems to me, at least within a loop, grieving inequitable distribution of OT as a result of pick-up time commits should be feasible???

Feasible? Maybe.

Realistic? No.

What happens when a pick up time changes, or a customer cancels their pick up?

Or when a new pick up is added?

Or when splits are pulled?

Or when these two routes are particularly heavy today?

Do the drivers get to change routes? Or tell the Company which route to put the pick up on based on seniority?

And how many loops are in each building and how many building are there?

I know, I answered your question with a question.

Simple answer, it would be a cluster fu**