Request to stay in one area?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

What's everybody got against unload? Easiest job at ups except probably smalls.
Unload is the job all the high seniority guys want in my center. Almost impossible to do it wrong.
If you want to stay in 1 area that you're good at, then perform to the best of your ability at that position. Do as told until sups notice that you're actually good at that specific area or position.
Exactly. Your sup may be testing what you are good at. You'd be surprised at what people turn out to be good at. I've had some smart people that couldn't figure out the simplest things and some dumb people who were all stars at the tough stuff. If we move you around we can see where you fit in perfectly and maximize returns from your work. You'll settle in somewhere eventually.

J

jibbs

A preload manager is "upper management"? More like entry level management.

Dude, you should know I'm not the most semantically perfect mother :censored2:er in the world.

Upper management in this case was being used synonymously with the "higher-ups" in reference to my part-time supervision, and "higher-up" literally meant anybody in a position of authority over those part-time supervisors.

Pooter

I'm sick of swinging! >:(

Who can I talk to so I can stay in one area??

Preload is best once you gain your own trucks.

PT Car Washer

Dude, you should know I'm not the most semantically perfect mother :censored2:er in the world.

Upper management in this case was being used synonymously with the "higher-ups" in reference to my part-time supervision, and "higher-up" literally meant anybody in a position of authority over those part-time supervisors.
Not trying to be a jerk to you. Just pointing out that a preload manager is the bottom of the food chain at UPS. They know that they can get spit out at any time for any reason.

Shonuff

Unload is the job all the high seniority guys want in my center. Almost impossible to do it wrong.

Exactly. Your sup may be testing what you are good at. You'd be surprised at what people turn out to be good at. I've had some smart people that couldn't figure out the simplest things and some dumb people who were all stars at the tough stuff. If we move you around we can see where you fit in perfectly and maximize returns from your work. You'll settle in somewhere eventually.

@FrigidAdCorrector: I hate tootin my own horn, but what happens when I am equally good at all positions I have worked? What I see happening is that I'll get one supe from one area to ask me to help out, then another supe from another area take me away, then THEIR supervisor will take me to work another area, only to be taken away by the first supe, claiming that his area is more important. I even invented a rule: "If its a supe, I follow whatever the last order was, unless its the supe's manager, which overrides all other requests". It just seems like the supes dont communicate or work together thus the result is there is always some other supe trying to finagle my labor into their area. This is at least what it appears to be from my point of view as well as others in my position. If management truly wants to see where I fit, wouldn't it make sense to keep me in an area for a period of time to conduct a proper assessment of my work first before moving me?... rather than have all the supes bounce me around like its a free for all?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I hate tootin my own horn, but what happens when I am equally good at all positions I have worked? What I see happening is that I'll get one supe from one area to ask me to help out, then another supe from another area take me away, then THEIR supervisor will take me to work another area, only to be taken away by the first supe, claiming that his area is more important. I even invented a rule: "If its a supe, I follow whatever the last order was, unless its the supe's manager, which overrides all other requests". It just seems like the supes dont communicate or work together thus the result is there is always some other supe trying to finagle my labor into their area. This is at least what it appears to be from my point of view as well as others in my position. If management truly wants to see where I fit, wouldn't it make sense to keep me in an area for a period of time to conduct a proper assessment of my work first before moving me?... rather than have all the supes bounce me around like its a free for all?
If you're kind of a jack of all trades, master of none you may end up going where you are needed. I don't have the problem of multiple sups on my sort, so I'm not sure I can help you very much there. The OMS tries to butt in, but I've told them to shove off. It seems to me your sup needs to determine who is in charge of his employees.

Shonuff

Small sort was where all the good lookin' wemmin worked in my hub....at least I think they were wemmin. lol.

HaHa...I always try to keep it in perspective with the women I work with. Yeah they are hot, but only OFFICE HOT cause its kinda slim pickings anyway compared to the selection from the outside world. Kind of like after a few beers, every girl's rating goes up a few points...

beer-goggles.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
HaHa...I always try to keep it in perspective with the women I work with. Yeah they are hot, but only OFFICE HOT cause its kinda slim pickings anyway compared to the selection from the outside world. Kind of like after a few beers, every girl's rating goes up a few points...

View attachment 27666
It's amazing what you'll find attractive at 4 am with nothing else around.

The lesbian I worked with that looked like Bieber had the hottest girlfriend of us all. Lol

Box Ox

"Is there a way to request a preferred area to work in instead of being moved around all the time?

No. My experience is that if you're good, you'll be rotated regularly. Whatever area has had shortcomings or complaints, you'll be there to take the pressure off.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I must be getting old because there is a gorgeous Russian receptionist on my route and all I can think of her saying "Must get Moose and Squirrel."
latest-1.jpeg

Shonuff

No. My experience is that if you're good, you'll be rotated regularly. Whatever area has had shortcomings or complaints, you'll be there to take the pressure off.

@Box Ox: Looks like you are right Box Ox. Judging from the group that I started out with, there is a strong correlation between the workers that consistently hustle, and the elevated chance of being rotated to areas that are always short on people. Conversely, the other "workers" in our group who obviously slack off (ie: using cell phone every few minutes in between loads, disappearing every so often to "use the bathroom" or "get a drink of water", and have no general idea which bay a package goes to), they stay in the same area assigned to flip packages so the labels stay up. Sometimes life just doesn't make sense. My only consolation is my philosophy and outlook that the hard work I put in makes me grow stronger while they grow weaker. I'm just going to work right, put the time in and hope some higher up management will spot some value in me and eventually help me move forward, when that time comes.....or is that wishful thinking?