requesting new package car?

canon

They're crushing all the sprinters in our center. All of em have less than 300k. They say the repairs are just to costly. Which is a good thing because not one of them had a side door that would stay shut. No better feeling than rolling along at 55mph and hearing that door fly open, then checking the mirror just in time to see your handcart somersaulting down the road behind you....:cursing:

To be replaced by what? Do u know yet?

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Well, I requested a new truck, and actually got it. Well, sorta. I'm a rarity. I tow a TP60 behind a P1000. I use it for pickups only. Here came the problem when they converted it over for my route (when I won the bid on this route, they took the P700 off and took the prelim drivers off and gave me a trailer to compensate). They just grabbed a standard GMC P1000 and bolted on a makeshift hitch to it. Still had the GM 4.3 V6 in it. Now, a p1000 full of packages (I have a heavy pu route, with pieces and weight) and the TP60 is FULL as well. I was burning up motors FAST. And mechanics thanked me for making them last as long as I did. Come to find out, across the belt from me, a guy had an older diesel p1000 that he HATED that had a hitch assembly already installed (factory installed that is). Because of the hitch assembly, was a tad higher stepping then the old P1s (if you can believe that). So some new P1's where coming in. So arranged a trade (with mechanics blessing after convincing the powers that be it would be in best interest). Gave him a brand new all power p1 low ride. I got an 89' international p1000 (they put a brand new powerstroke in it before I got it). I'm up to 217,000 miles on it now (it was originally used to tow bulk air from local hub to airport, so put very little miles until it came to our center I was told). Funny that since I've had this setup (for about 2 years now) have had ZERO mechanical issues at all (knocking on wood). Only problems I've had was coverdrivers. Most won't let the glowplugs warm up before starting up car. Then, you get the messy coverdrivers who leave your car in shambles when you're gone (only thing I hate coming back from vacation).

Here's a pic of my original truck and trailer (haven't gotten around to getting a current picture of my newer package car).
upstrucktrailer.jpg

Thankfully, the car I have now is the first year of the power steering. Woohooo. This truck above was the last of the "basic" cars (it's an 88' GMC). But my international has power everything, delay wipers, and one helluva heater. Don't miss this car above AT ALL!!!!!!!

If you can show a reason why you need a new car, you may get it. I had a valid reason (like wearing the truck out WAY prematurely), so got my swap. It's not brand new, but I love the "new" car to death. Plus, it's mine and I have it personalized (with my kids pics and pictures they've drawn for me taped up inside the roof over the wiper motors).

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Woods,
Kellys (to non-new englanders its a roast beef place on Reveer beach, but now in Saugus also) sounds like a whic-ked good ideaah. But after Octoba da hot babes head south. Speakin of the 'Sox, have you evaa sat in the green monstaaah seats? (left field at wall at Fenway). I have. It was pourin rain but was whicked good experience.:thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
wiced pissa going to see the sox baby those yankees suck especially a/frod & jeetah! i took two dates CARLAAH and BRENDAAAH no monstah seats back then !!

jlphotog

Even a Doctor stating in writing on the UPS TAW Program form that I need to be driving a power steering vehicle to avoid aggravating an injury did not get me a new PC. So I am still driving my P5.

By the way this particular P5 will not stay in second gear. I have written this up on the DVIR numerous times over the past few months and told my supes that this problem has nearly caused an mva. Yet I still have this 1988 pos P5.

over9five

Staff member
"...and told my supes that this problem has nearly caused an mva."

Then why drive it? YOU have the right to refuse to operate unsafe equipment. YOU just said it almost caused an accident. Take a stand. Monday I want you to refuse to drive that package car.

jlphotog

Monday I want you to refuse to drive that package car.

Yes mommy. :wink:

We have a very unique situation here. We don't have enough drivers to cover all the routes and we don't have enough PC's for all the drivers we do have. I could carry all those packages on my back, but I'm afraid that would aggravate my injury even more than standard steering has.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
To be replaced by what? Do u know yet?

P570, looks like the new 667 models only shorter. If you haven't seen the P667 yet, it looks like a 700 only it has single wheels on the rear axle and rear doors that slide open. Pretty good truck, automatic and power steering, only thing is; i think they stole the tires off some lil girls 10 speed bicycle. Theyre like 8 inches wide and God forbid you take that thing off the paved roads. They will sink like a stone. Oh and the turning radius is worse than that of a Nimitz class carrier. Bit it is better than a P10 or worse, a widowmaker (P500):thumbup1:

over9five

Staff member
"..and we don't have enough PC's for all the drivers.."

So you will continue to drive an unsafe package car that "has nearly caused an mva."

I hope you don't run over some child tomorrow. I think you should stop worrying about the company not having enough cars. Grow some, refuse to drive it. I bet they'll be able to get you another car. In the meantime, please don't drive on my street.

If you would like to give me your car and center number, I will call Corporate now for you.

Dutch Dawg

I live near one of the manufactures of package cars. Let me tell you how giddy with delight they are to build them. Not only are they one of the fastest vehicle builds that come through their building due to the spartan accompaniments. They also almost guarantee the prospect of future business due to shorter expected life span as cheaply as they are now spec'd out.

Cementups

Box Monkey
P570, looks like the new 667 models only shorter. If you haven't seen the P667 yet, it looks like a 700 only it has single wheels on the rear axle and rear doors that slide open. Pretty good truck, automatic and power steering, only thing is; i think they stole the tires off some lil girls 10 speed bicycle. Theyre like 8 inches wide and God forbid you take that thing off the paved roads. They will sink like a stone. Oh and the turning radius is worse than that of a Nimitz class carrier. Bit it is better than a P10 or worse, a widowmaker (P500):thumbup1:

The 666's are much better. The 667's handle like crappy in inclement weather as well. and the mirror location is tooooooo low.

W

westsideworma

Woods,
Kellys (to non-new englanders its a roast beef place on Reveer beach, but now in Saugus also) sounds like a whic-ked good ideaah. But after Octoba da hot babes head south. Speakin of the 'Sox, have you evaa sat in the green monstaaah seats? (left field at wall at Fenway). I have. It was pourin rain but was whicked good experience.:thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Kelly's is branching out, theres one in Meffa (Medford) and Natick (well Framingham actually) as well now. However, Reveer beach is still the best as its still open after last call :wink:

Griff

A nice handful of the guys that have 18-20 years or more are getting new trucks in our center. 85% of them are the 1400's (international, power steering, automatic), most of these are being thrown on routes where P-800's were used??!!?