Resigned after almost 17 years of service!

EXNOHEN

I just resigned after almost 17 years of service, with the last 11 in management. My only regret is that I didn’t leave any sooner. I haven’t felt this good in a very, very long time. I’ll finally be able to be a father to my children and spend time doing some things that I would like to do before I’m too old and run down. UPS management doesn’t believe in family no matter what they say. The pay is extremely overrated and there are far more companies that treat they people better from both a working environment and compensation perspective.

We’ve had 7 full-time management employees leave since January. That is almost unheard of. You could literally go years without any management employee quitting years ago. Now it has become common place. It doesn’t look good for the company and it doesn’t seem like they are trying to doing anything about it either. It’s happening in every district throughout the country right now. They better act quickly before it’s too late

Drivers, don’t ever believe that supervisors make more than you. If you are considering going into management, think again!!!!! There were many days that I wished I would have stayed a union employee. Good luck to all of you and I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday!

A

Anonymous Manager

I just resigned after almost 17 years of service, with the last 11 in management. My only regret is that I didn’t leave any sooner. I haven’t felt this good in a very, very long time. I’ll finally be able to be a father to my children and spend time doing some things that I would like to do before I’m too old and run down. UPS management doesn’t believe in family no matter what they say. The pay is extremely overrated and there are far more companies that treat they people better from both a working environment and compensation perspective.

We’ve had 7 full-time management employees leave since January. That is almost unheard of. You could literally go years without any management employee quitting years ago. Now it has become common place. It doesn’t look good for the company and it doesn’t seem like they are trying to doing anything about it either. It’s happening in every district throughout the country right now. They better act quickly before it’s too late

Drivers, don’t ever believe that supervisors make more than you. If you are considering going into management, think again!!!!! There were many days that I wished I would have stayed a union employee. Good luck to all of you and I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday!

Can you throw out some numbers on how much management makes?

NO ONE

Good luck to you (wait you just hit the jackpot) after 17 years of putting up all the bull:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, each and everyday. In my district the same is going on, morale is very low and I would expect more to leave. Again good luck and something for thought I have never spoken to any fulltime management person that has left the company regret their decision. :peaceful:

ihadit

Good luck to you (wait you just hit the jackpot) after 17 years of putting up all the bull:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, each and everyday. In my district the same is going on, morale is very low and I would expect more to leave. Again good luck and something for thought I have never spoken to any fulltime management person that has left the company regret their decision. :peaceful:
Come to think of it I don't know anyone, hourly or management, who regrets leaving. Its a shame we all wait so long! Put that question in your ERI Scotty and act upon it!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
My only regret is that I didn’t leave any sooner. I haven’t felt this good in a very, very long time.

You're not the only one to regret not leaving sooner. I regretted leaving Big Brown the first time but the second time.....I RAN from the building! And I know what you mean about feeling better than you have in a long time. The weekend after I quit, I slept like a newborn babe for the first time in 9 months. Within a week, I felt semi-human again. Another two weeks and I was thinking, "Is THIS how other people feel--relaxed, at-ease, etc?? WOW!! This feels GOOD!" I started a new job on Monday and I'm telling you....what a difference 6 weeks out of Big Brown makes. I'm OFF until 8 a.m. Monday morning and when I do go back, I'm OFF at 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. On Friday, I'll work about 5 hours and its WELCOME TO THE WEEKEND!! I was only a lowly part-timer but the BULL:censored2::soapbox::soapbox::censored2: I got was just not worth it, particularly being accused of missorting when the Hub Simulation supe knew better from the scanning system (I forget the term for it now). After that accusation, I thought about it for about 2 hours and decided I was done. I yelled for my p/t supe and told I wanted to talk to the ft'er before I left that day. No regrets, no second thoughts, no questions about this having been the right thing to do. You'll be just fine, Exnohen. -Rocky

browned out

We had a full time preload sup walk off the job in the middle of his shift. And we had an oncar open up his own business. I have seen Both these guys since and they look like they had that 500 pound BIG BROWN gorilla taken off their back. They wish they had left sooner.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
We had a full time preload sup walk off the job in the middle of his shift. And we had an oncar open up his own business. I have seen Both these guys since and they look like they had that 500 pound BIG BROWN gorilla taken off their back. They wish they had left sooner.

Walk OUT??? D*MN!! Your on-car isn't the first I've heard of starting his own business. I've seen people that have retired from high-pressure or high-stress jobs and the before and after are almost incomparable in terms of how their face is, etc. They become very pleasent to be around, too. -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
not enough to get jam in the butt everyday.

LOL....I know a p/t supe and he told me he'd been getting packages shoved up his butt for the last X amount of time (about an hour, I think). I forget how many but he gave me a rough number of how much had been jammed up there in the previous hour (heavy flow to a load or the dock in general). -Rocky

finaddict

In my 20yrs I have watched the best managers and friends leave UPS. These are folks I would bend the rules for or go the extra mile becaue they stand behind thier employees. I still see a few of them and not a one regrets leaving. What a shame. I'm sure it's the same everywhere. To alot of great managers and friends....I sincerely wish you the best in life. To those that fill thier shoes....Grass aint any greener is it?

Griff

This sounds about right. I talked to a center manager that I bumped into about 6 months after he quit. He said when he walked out of the guardshack for the last time it felt like 10 tons was lifted off his shoulders. None of the drivers that I talk to frequently, which is quite a few, would ever consider taking the bait and going into management. This is part of the reason why all the new management types have no driving experience, they cant pull anyone away from driving anymore. Hope you find a better job or whatever it is you're looking for, good luck.

L

Litmus Test

In my 20yrs I have watched the best managers and friends leave UPS.

That's one problem - "best" managers aren't your friends. Best "friends" aren't managers. When that gets to be the case the management herd needs to be culled.

You're the hired help and nothing more - and you're paid a premium for it. Live with it.

The initial poster seems to be a loon.

He claims 6 years hourly and 11 in management. That math doesn't work anywhere. Six years to figure out your career path? While only occupying space and burning time? BS.

Not anymore. Not here. You better figure out a Teamster life is repulsive and unsatisfying within a year - preferably within four months.

Testing now is specifically designed to disqualify you BEFORE you get in the program. That's to cut down on your "best managers" scenario.

The general consensus in certain parts of the country is that UPS is going to lose approximately 60% of its management structure in the next eight years due to retirement alone.

My personal understanding is that they intend to take 15 - 18% of vehicles off the road during that time period. Do the math.

Management will decrease through attrition. Do you have a "Jobs Program?"

I didn't think so. Teamster "drivers" are going to go the way of carhaul and freight in the small package division within the decade. Watch and see.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
That's one problem - "best" managers aren't your friends. Best "friends" aren't managers. When that gets to be the case the management herd needs to be culled.

You're the hired help and nothing more - and you're paid a premium for it. Live with it.

He claims 6 years hourly and 11 in management. That math doesn't work anywhere. Six years to figure out your career path? While only occupying space and burning time? BS.

Not anymore. Not here. You better figure out a Teamster life is repulsive and unsatisfying within a year - preferably within four months.

Testing now is specifically designed to disqualify you BEFORE you get in the program. That's to cut down on your "best managers" scenario.

The general consensus in certain parts of the country is that UPS is going to lose approximately 60% of its management structure in the next eight years due to retirement alone.

My personal understanding is that they intend to take 15 - 18% of vehicles off the road during that time period. Do the math.

I didn't think so. Teamster "drivers" are going to go the way of carhaul and freight in the small package division within the decade. Watch and see.

I'll agree with you on a manager not being able to be a best friend Litmus but not everyone is willing to give up a personal life to be in management. My wife drove a package car for 14 years and was in management for 7 years. She was only too happy to accept the buyout when it was offered several years ago and has never looked back.

I have had the opportunity to talk with lots of management people (because of her) without them having to say what was expected knowing I could be trusted to not spill my guts. I have found very few that are happy in their jobs. The ones that have quit or retired are too happy to be away from the pressure cooker.

Good luck to you. Maybe you can convince yourself that you are happy in your work. At least an hourly can go home at night and be able to sleep without worrying about their job security or the butt chewing they are going to receive on a daily basis.

Pasaholic

Dear Exnohen,
Good luck, look im not in managment but even I understand UPS is not inbusiness to worry about you or your family, they are a company and profit is the goal.
Did you notice the long hours and pay before you went into stupidvision?
I know ups sucks sometimes but good luck finding a better job with no degree.
stupid!

Griff

I'd like to give a howdy hello to a voice that represents the majority of management at UPS. As if you would actually say this to anyones face in real life, I don't think so. If we are hired help, what exactly are you? What makes you more of an asset to UPS than a driver who, ya know, does basically everything for the customers. The last thing this company will get rid of is its drivers. We will be here long after you get pink-slipped by the real movers and shakers at UPS, you're just a pretender.

P.S. -- The entire segment about management fading and UPS then taking 15% of vehicles off the road....thanks for the laugh, guy.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I know several drivers who have gone in management and most all of them have quit. I never fell for that one since I like where I live, and most are sent somewhere they hate. Many get divorced and age in dog years. They try to tell you how happy they are but you can see right through them. When you see them after they have left , some say I should have stayed a driver. It is really sad.

rod

Retired 22 years
I hear the fat lady singing- tough times ahead for UPS. Even though it's a GREAT paying job (not talking part time) with GREAT bennies, a person still has to put up with so much Corporate crap, both hourly and salary, that something eventually has to give. Let's all hope the chosen ones in the Ivory Tower come to the realization that their "plan" isn't working. But we all know that by then they will have fled that scene with their personal millions