Retire/quit and go back part time different local

Potato

I’ve been with UPS for 21 years, 12 part time, 9 fulltime in Local 177. So I may need to move out of state, I was curious on if I retire/quit my current local and move can I get rehired at a different building without losing pension for those 21 years of service? Or does UPS not allow people that “retired” back in the company? I’ve been with the company since I was 18 so it’s all I know unfortunately. Also, does anyone know where to find information on a hardship transfer? My situation may potentially apply, but got conflicting answers from UPS and the union. Thanks

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I know two drivers that moved to another state. They had to quit and hope to get rehired. They both lost their raises and seniority, they had to start again as new hires. They kept their pension credits, this was in the Southern Supplemental.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know two drivers that moved to another state. They had to quit and hope to get rehired. They both lost their raises and seniority, they had to start again as new hires. They kept their pension credits, this was in the Southern Supplemental.
That is usually how it works. Only rarely have I heard of direct transfers.

542thruNthru

200-14.gif

542thruNthru

I’ve been with UPS for 21 years, 12 part time, 9 fulltime in Local 177. So I may need to move out of state, I was curious on if I retire/quit my current local and move can I get rehired at a different building without losing pension for those 21 years of service? Or does UPS not allow people that “retired” back in the company? I’ve been with the company since I was 18 so it’s all I know unfortunately. Also, does anyone know where to find information on a hardship transfer? My situation may potentially apply, but got conflicting answers from UPS and the union. Thanks
To my knowledge there is no longer any contractual language for a hardship transfer.

You will need to call your pension office and speak with them to see if you will keep your pension and if it's transferable if you stay in the same pension. Some areas PT years are under the UPS pension so you may need to call a couple places.

You have a lot of homework to do and no one here will really be able to help you because there are too many different pensions across the country and we also don't know where you are trying to go.

Also you should know your healthcare will change drastically because 177 is part of the Western Teamsters healthcare unlike the rest of the country.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Always remember to get your Teamster Union Withdrawal Card.
Which is given by the Union, upon request of the member within 90 days of taking leave from the employer.
As long as you are in good standing, all dues are paid to date.
Failure to request a Withdrawal Card will make you responsible for a re-initiation fee.

BeachBoy

A loophole may exist. Transfers are possible if you are moving for school. Theoretically, you could enroll for a class in your new location. You would lose building seniority.
Potentially, the company would even reimburse you with their tuition assistance program.
Worth looking into, at least.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You would need to check your contract. Plus are you moving out of local union zone? That is from Western to Central States for example.

I would also ask HR in both locations but make sure they show you the writing. NEVER trust a verbal statement.

I had a hardship transfer due to spouse's health. Had to start at bottom of bid seniority but kept all retirement benefits.
Better to transfer than quit and start over.

It's up to YOU to do the homework and NOT trust any answers unless they can back it up from the contract.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You would need to check your contract. Plus are you moving out of local union zone? That is from Western to Central States for example.

I would also ask HR in both locations but make sure they show you the writing. NEVER trust a verbal statement.

I had a hardship transfer due to spouse's health. Had to start at bottom of bid seniority but kept all retirement benefits.
Better to transfer than quit and start over.

It's up to YOU to do the homework and NOT trust any answers unless they can back it up from the contract.
7725C822-55EA-4415-9A8B-249BA23A2578.png

Brown Buddy

UPSnBrowns
Can you sign up for school and use that to transfer 😆