retired driver

ninefive

i
Hi; just retired 7 weeks ago and the co. still owes me vacation weeks, why is it taking the co. so long to pay me. also because of the delay of my vacation pay my pension can't start till the weeks get posted for my union. What can be done, would love to have some help with this.

upsgrunt

From where I'm from it is automatic that you will have to file a grievance to get that vacation pay. Don't know why; it is just the way it is. If just one person doesn't fight for money that is owed to them UPS is just that much ahead- and I am sure there are some that just let it go.

rod

Retired 22 years
I swear every person that retires is treated like its the first retirement that UPS has had to deal with. For every person that has had a smooth transition into retirement there are 10 horror stories. Come on UPS---get your act together. These employees have given you probably 30 years of ball busting service. The least you can do is give them what they deserve upon retirement.

upsgrunt

I'm equally dumbfounded by the people who won't fight for what is essentially 7 or 8 thousand dollars of THEIR OWN money that they EARNED.

raceanoncr

Just talked about that very thing yesterday at lunch with a couple more retirees. They both retired w/vacation left. Got their pension right away, vacation checks followed. Pension has nothing to do w/vacation. Vacation is something you earned the year before and is, or, rather, should not be, counted as earnings against your pension for this year. Oh, I know, now some will say on here that your VACATION checks will be counted as earnings when it comes time for your tax year. Sure.

I also retired about 7 wks ago. Pension never even asked about vacation left. Just started checks (by direct deposit, of course) the first day of new month. Since I had used up most of my vacation caring for my mom before her death, I only accrued about the equivalent of about 5 days of work towards next years vacation. Anniversay date was 20th, retired on 25th. About a week later, a non-direct deposit check arrived in the mail for about $300, gross, about a day earned and marked as vacation.

ninefive

Just found out from Attorney Generals office in my own state. The time is 7 days there suppose to pay and if they don't it is a crimal offense.

raceanoncr

Have you call the building to see if it is there? Sometimes they hold it if you haven't turned you uniforms in.

HA! Funny! In my case, I had to force them to take my uniforms. I didn't want any of that stuff here. They said clerk was too busy to take, box up and send back in. Too bad!

Also, had to tell them to take my ID. Didn't want that either. "You mean you aren't going to visit from time to time?" "NO".

rod

Retired 22 years
HA! Funny! In my case, I had to force them to take my uniforms. I didn't want any of that stuff here. They said clerk was too busy to take, box up and send back in. Too bad!

Also, had to tell them to take my ID. Didn't want that either. "You mean you aren't going to visit from time to time?" "NO".

They wouldn't take my uniforms either and I had a bunch of them. They did burn well at my retirement party bonfire though.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Just found out from Attorney Generals office in my own state. The time is 7 days there suppose to pay and if they don't it is a crimal offense.

Call your former sup or manager. You are probably still listed as an active employee. If so, they need to terminate your employment in GEMS and send in an entitlement payoff request in Time and Labor. Its a manual process. If they forget (which happens often), you won't get paid off and your benefits continue to be paid by the company.

helenofcalifornia

And if the checks are in the office, you would think management would give him the courtesy and call and tell him. I would have burned up those telephone lines after the first day of finding out my pension wouldn't start until my vacation checks were given. Might be a union issue too if other drivers have received pension checks without first receiving all their vacation checks.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We give the Local a retirement date and they take care of all the details. On your last day, the company gives you your accrued vacation checks.

Braveheart

File and ask for 1 pay penalty for each different check per week until paid. That will get them paid quicker. I had a friend collect almost a thousand dollars that way.

I just called the union BA and told him I had not gotten my vaca checks, an hour later I got a call from the center manager to come to the building to get the checks that had been setting there for two weeks. When I asked him why he didn't call me, he said he thought the union would let me know they were there. I still don't know why he would think the union would know this. When going to get the checks, I took my old uniforms in, dropped them in the center manager's floor, got the checks and let the building.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just called the union BA and told him I had not gotten my vaca checks, an hour later I got a call from the center manager to come to the building to get the checks that had been setting there for two weeks. When I asked him why he didn't call me, he said he thought the union would let me know they were there. I still don't know why he would think the union would know this. When going to get the checks, I took my old uniforms in, dropped them in the center manager's floor, got the checks and let the building.

It is a shame that employee's who have devoted much of their adult lives to this company get treated this way.

The one thing that confuses me is why UPS has to cut paper checks to pay for these vacations. I can see doing it this way for those who did not have direct deposit but if the employee was on direct deposit why not continue this for their vacation checks? Is it done this way to ensure the retiree turns in their uniforms?

wkmac

It is a shame that employee's who have devoted much of their adult lives to this company get treated this way.

The one thing that confuses me is why UPS has to cut paper checks to pay for these vacations. I can see doing it this way for those who did not have direct deposit but if the employee was on direct deposit why not continue this for their vacation checks? Is it done this way to ensure the retiree turns in their uniforms?

I agree about the direct deposit and unless I'd given them specific instructions otherwise, they should continue that route. However, let's be realistic, we mean even less to them at that point so a hard check that sits also allows that money to sit and every day it does it's a little more interest in the bank. Pennies here and pennies there will add up to dollars so where's the incentive to payoff quickly?

I'm in my 30th year now and with my area no longer under Central States and now under UPS, as I understand the process, you can not retire with any outstanding unused vacation which is the same standard as management. However, in also talking with a number of managers, getting some good ideas if I want the fat vacation check. One manager suggested that if I'm going to retire, and as much as it sux, to work through peak and set up the new vacation year to sell back all your vacation and to sell back all option days. Once the new year hits and the money is in the pocket, walk away at your will. If I do go this year or whenever, my anniversary date is so close to the end of the year that a 7 more weeks makes little difference. If I have to actually do the whole vacation cycle anyway going out the backdoor, it was also suggested I pick the end of February and count back 6 weeks or even 7 if I want to include the option week and start my vacation so that it ends with at least one work day left in the current month. Time this so that the next week your first retirement check get's deposited.

Come in for that last report after vacation as this seems a new requirement too as I understand it, clock in, go get a cup of coffee, fart around 45 minutes and then tell your supervisor he sux, your tired of looking at his ugly mug, cuss out anyone else you think worthwhile and head for the barn!
:happy-very:

I have to say the more I think of it, I like that last idea but I wonder why?
:wink2: