Retirement...contract talks

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Getting past my years at UPS, but if it was me starting over, I'd demand all monies currently going into the pension plan be contributed to a 401k. Instead. Get it out of the company's, Teamster's and the government's hands. Add in your personal contribution and it would be huge, private and much safer.
i agree but it depends on the individual and their financial intelligent quotient. the thing that has always bothered me is that the government thinks it knows what's better for you than you do. and that goes for the teamsters and ups as well.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
We have have a few guys retire recently. They will have a nice little pension to live off from. Some of them even make more money retired than they did when they were working.

I thought I would risk some independent thinking.

It seems the union focuses on raises. While I admit that a raise is nice let us face the facts. Just how much can a guy that juggles cardboard and schedules make an hour? Are we nearing that wage. Sure, there are no others that truly compare to what we do every day. There are some that try but none can come close. No offense intended to our competitors but they are posers.
UPS can try to say that any monkey off the street can do what their drivers do everyday. We all know the reality. Some can handle the stress while others cannot function under the pressure to perform. Some can handle the physical labor while it is easier for others to sit behind a desk.

Quite frankly...I don't think I need a raise. What I would like to see is a focus in the next contract to guarantee my retirement. I still have many years until I can see that day. I want to know that I have something there waiting from me after the years of sacrificing my body, my family time and some of my freedoms to UPS. I just don't want my retirement in any shape or form to be on the bargaining table other than to be augmented(i.e. extended healthcare). It seems that every contract we concede something to UPS that we held dear. And now that it is gone it will never come back.

How can we as union members get our voices heard when it comes to topics we want on the bargaining table during contract talks?
When the CEO can make millions in salary, and more millions in bonuses, they can afford to pay more to those that sling the cardboard.

By The Book

I retired from 177 and that move to put part of their raises should of been a no brainer for all Locals. By not having a choice the results are now showing up
I advocated back in 2002/2003 to divert half of new raises to pensions to shore them up......this idea has been around and now it's in play in a lot of locals.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I advocated back in 2002/2003 to divert half of new raises to pensions to shore them up......this idea has been around and now it's in play in a lot of locals.

We have diverted several of our split raises to the pension.

Didn't help.

Got a letter in the mail today. We are at 48.9% funded, which is up from 45.8%.

Accrual rate was cut in half to 1.3.

Cuts are coming.

By The Book

We have diverted several of our split raises to the pension.

Didn't help.

Got a letter in the mail today. We are at 48.9% funded, which is up from 45.8%.

Accrual rate was cut in half to 1.3.

Cuts are coming.
It needed to happen that far back, and with realistic expectations for returns on investment. They also needed to do the math forward to see if they were going to be able to give out what they said. Out west it's a 1.2 accrual rate at 91% funded if that shows you how aggressive our cut was. It's been that way about 7 years now. I think they were about 10-12 years behind on the wage diversion,imo.