Retirement...contract talks

If you gross $1500 one week you would get $90 at the 6%.

The next week you gross $1400 that would be $84

The next week you gross $1600 that would be $96

That is 6%

twoweeled

Please anyone that is reading this know that what I have bolded is 100% false.

This is where you are lost. That's is not the definition of a 6% 401k match. I repeat that is not how a 401k match works.

I tried.
depression_featured.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That is 6%
I've told him half a dozen times.

It's obviously not being grasped.

twoweeled

That is 6%
You are correct! Thank you. Would you please share with the less fortunate Brownslaves?

Brownslave688

You are correct! Thank you. Would you please share with the less fortunate Brownslaves?
You're the one not grasping this. Not me. My wife's employer matches at 6% that's the exact wording in the contract.

Please with your math explain to me how that 6% match turned into a 10k contribution?

This is out of your gross earnings so if you gross $100,000 at the end of the year your match would be $6,000
You could put in $6,000 and your match would be $6,000.

You could put in $18,000 and your match would still be $6,000.

But if you only put in $4,000 your match would only be $4,000.

Brownslave688

Normally I'd just let you bet wrong and that would that but this people's retirement you are messing with.

I'm not the smartest man in the world but I know retirement stuff very well.

You are the only person who uses YOUR definition of a 401k match. To everyone else in the world it means something else.

Right, but the subject is really what is 6% of the maximum contribution into the 401K. Which I've been approximating that was $18,000 for 2015. So,,, we're now arguing what is 6% of 18,000? I said it's about $1080. Brownslave feels that's wrong. Damn, am I wrong? I hope not.
I didn't read all the posts, but nothing is based off the $18,000 max. The $1080 is irrelevant.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
He thinks a 6% match means they match 6% of what you put in.
It's this way. If you make $100 and it set to pull 3.5% a month, they'll match the 3.50 you put in. If you have it set to pull 10% they'll match only up to the 3.50.

The match amount could be higher, I haven't touched my 401k since going FT, I'm trying to get rid of all my student loans before I worry about retirement.

Brownslave688

It's this way. If you make $100 and it set to pull 3.5% a month, they'll match the 3.50 you put in. If you have it set to pull 10% they'll match only up to the 3.50.

The match amount could be higher, I haven't touched my 401k since going FT, I'm trying to get rid of all my student loans before I worry about retirement.
They match 100% up to 3.5%.

Is that how you'd word it?

By the way 3.5% is a pretty :censored2:ty match.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
They match 100% up to 3.5%.

Is that how you'd word it?

By the way 3.5% is a pretty :censored2:ty match.
Yes exactly.

Eh. Not really on the :censored2:ty. That's about average. I have a better match % than my parents and they're execs.

And quite honestly, I'm not completely against the whole system. I'd rather take a 3.5% match and be able to control it myself than put it in the hands of some guy running a pension fund.

Brownslave688

Yes exactly.

Eh. Not really on the :censored2:ty. That's about average. I have a better match % than my parents and they're execs.

And quite honestly, I'm not completely against the whole system. I'd rather take a 3.5% match and be able to control it myself than put it in the hands of some guy running a pension fund.
Yes I'd much rather have control of the money.

I meant more 3.5% is :censored2:ty compared to what they put in our pension on our behalf.