Retirement Question (newbie)

lldad4

Hello All, Newbie here. Hopefully, someone can send us in the right direction.

Husband worked for Overnite/UPS Freight for 29 years. Husband had catastrophic injury in March 2013. Was STD for 6 months, then LTD until Aug 2015.

LTD required him to apply for SS disability. Was approved in July 2015. We were not notified until late August 2015. By that time, he had returned to work for about 2 weeks (hard to keep a good man down). Return to work failed - new physical problems.

Officially 'retired' from the company in Aug 2015. Currently receives a disability benefit of about $250/month.

Flash Forward to today - he's 52, has been on SSI since July 2015. We're trying to find out if he can apply and start pulling his UPS Freight pension. (Either full pension or disability - not sure of anything).

HR says no. He has to wait until he's 55, since Freight division does not have a service pension.

Hope I'm saying all that correctly.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Talk to his Business Agent at his union local. He should have correct info.

Dean E. Spaans

Hello All, Newbie here. Hopefully, someone can send us in the right direction.

Husband worked for Overnite/UPS Freight for 29 years. Husband had catastrophic injury in March 2013. Was STD for 6 months, then LTD until Aug 2015.

LTD required him to apply for SS disability. Was approved in July 2015. We were not notified until late August 2015. By that time, he had returned to work for about 2 weeks (hard to keep a good man down). Return to work failed - new physical problems.

Officially 'retired' from the company in Aug 2015. Currently receives a disability benefit of about $250/month.

Flash Forward to today - he's 52, has been on SSI since July 2015. We're trying to find out if he can apply and start pulling his UPS Freight pension. (Either full pension or disability - not sure of anything).

HR says no. He has to wait until he's 55, since Freight division does not have a service pension.

Hope I'm saying all that correctly.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.