Retirement?

bailey2227

Hello:

I've been told that the retirement for a part-time package handler is better than what it would be for a full-time driver. I don't understand how this is possible? Also, I would like to understand how the time you work as a part-time handler converts to your time as a full-time driver. Does all the time you work as a part-time handler count towards your retirement once you become a driver.

I really don't know a whole lot about the UPS retirement system. Can someone please explain how many years you have to work in order to be eligible for full retirement (and if that is combined full-time and part-time experience)?

Last edited:

Fnix

dont even worry about it till you have 25 years in. A guy at work has 20 years in and says he can retire now but wont get medical until 25 years. Hes a shifter and helps in preload, gets 8 hours a day.

mikestrek

Hello:

I've been told that the retirement for a part-time package handler is better than what it would be for a full-time driver. I don't understand how this is possible? Also, I would like to understand how the time you work as a part-time handler converts to your time as a full-time driver. Does all the time you work as a part-time handler count towards your retirement once you become a driver.

I really don't know a whole lot about the UPS retirement system. Can someone please explain how many years you have to work in order to be eligible for full retirement (and if that is combined full-time and part-time experience)?
GOOD QUESTION? Your not alone. Ask anyone at UPS a pension question and you'll get a different answer. NOBODY knows, Not Management, Not your local union. I,ve been with the company now 23 years (4 P/T, 19 friend/t) and I still don't know. The longer you've been with the company the more embarresed you feel to ask a pension question, "Why don't you know after all these years?" I'm still on the hunt for the right people or person to ask a simple pension question. Sorry I couldn't help you but I guarantee you I will post some information on this forum as soon as I find out.

P/S IF ANYONE (AND I MEAN ANYONE) KNOWS ANYONE THAT CAN ANSWER A PENSION QUESTION, PLEASE SHARE.

laborer

Try writing to UPS Corp. for your pt years. Here's the adds I have:

CS:
James G. Harmon
Pension Processing Dept.
9377 W Higgins Rd.
Rosemont, IL 60018-4938

UPS:
Carla McDonald
Pension Plan
Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta, GA 30328
(404) 828-4036

Here's a sample letter our local gave us to send to inquire about our pension plans:

To whom it may concern,
I am a participant in this pension plan. Please inform me of what accrued benefit I am entitled to as of present, including any partial pension benefit owed under the reciprocity agreement between Central States and the UPS pension plan.
Also, please provide me with an explanation of how the partial or combined pension benefit is determined under the reciprocity agreement.

mikestrek

Try writing to UPS Corp. for your pt years. Here's the adds I have:

CS:
James G. Harmon
Pension Processing Dept.
9377 W Higgins Rd.
Rosemont, IL 60018-4938

UPS:
Carla McDonald
Pension Plan
Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta, GA 30328
(404) 828-4036

Here's a sample letter our local gave us to send to inquire about our pension plans:

To whom it may concern,
I am a participant in this pension plan. Please inform me of what accrued benefit I am entitled to as of present, including any partial pension benefit owed under the reciprocity agreement between Central States and the UPS pension plan.
Also, please provide me with an explanation of how the partial or combined pension benefit is determined under the reciprocity agreement.
Good information Laborer. I'll check it out.

helenofcalifornia

In our area (Norcal) for every 2000 hours you work (and for drivers that would be almost a year and part timers twice that) you earn $180 towards your pension. So 10 years (or what ever time frame it takes) of 2000 + hours of service at UPS would accrue you $1800 a month in a pension. (Less taxes) It used to be that no matter what age you retired at you wouldn't have to pay for health but now at age 50 you have to pay $150, age 55 $100, and age 60 $50. a month. And your age plus years of service = 80 means you can qualify and retire on what you have earned. I have no idea about that other pension from Western States that has minimal money in it. I should but I don't. I go see the retirement guy that visits the Teamsters office about every two years just to check up in things.