Returning to work post injury

Up In Smoke

I'm proud to say this employee received the full attention of the Union his dues afforded him. My understanding is that you are still working after 40 years and that's a remarkable feat. I am sorry you have family medical issues which delays your retirement. This employee was/is in a similar position and wanted desperately to work to 65 (11 more years). The company has no compassion for their employees and the commitments that they have. This employee was willing to take any position, even returning to part time, to keep the benefits coming. We wrote letters to our Congressmen, the DWD and the ADA, but the company felt that any movement would open the flood gates for future accommodations. What is so troubling is a person can burn their crotch with coffee and walk away with millions, but if that person was an employee, workers compensation would have paid for the medical and cut them loose.

I'm proud to say this employee received the full attention of the Union his dues afforded him. My understanding is that you are still working after 40 years and that's a remarkable feat. I am sorry you have family medical issues which delays your retirement. This employee was/is in a similar position and wanted desperately to work to 65 (11 more years). The company has no compassion for their employees and the commitments that they have. This employee was willing to take any position, even returning to part time, to keep the benefits coming. We wrote letters to our Congressmen, the DWD and the ADA, but the company felt that any movement would open the flood gates for future accommodations. What is so troubling is a person can burn their crotch with coffee and walk away with millions, but if that person was an employee, workers compensation would have paid for the medical and cut them loose.
I wish I had union representatives like this here. It may have gotten me no closer to returning but I’d at least feel like I had better representation this whole time. Ive had many coworkers express their displeasure with the union’s handling of my situation. I can barely get them on the phone. I’ve had one face to face meeting in almost 9 months (getting a second on Monday). No one up there communicates with each other so anyone I talk to is completely unaware of anything that’s went on prior to having that conversation. They constantly need the same questions answered and the same paperwork sent to them over and over. It’s been a frustrating mess on top of everything with the company. We’ve seemingly exhausted all other options such as ADA and any possible accommodations. I’ve been willing to take any job, other classification or even willing to move to other centers over an hour away to where it was possible. The company has not been willing to do anything at all in any way, shape, or form. This is why I posted the original post and am now at the point where I have to decide does the union negotiate this out for me or do I continue with an attorney (or which would be the better option). My business agent claims they haven’t had to handle anything like this before and I’ve personally never seen or heard of one here in almost 22 years of service.

quad decade guy

I wish I had union representatives like this here. It may have gotten me no closer to returning but I’d at least feel like I had better representation this whole time. Ive had many coworkers express their displeasure with the union’s handling of my situation. I can barely get them on the phone. I’ve had one face to face meeting in almost 9 months (getting a second on Monday). No one up there communicates with each other so anyone I talk to is completely unaware of anything that’s went on prior to having that conversation. They constantly need the same questions answered and the same paperwork sent to them over and over. It’s been a frustrating mess on top of everything with the company. We’ve seemingly exhausted all other options such as ADA and any possible accommodations. I’ve been willing to take any job, other classification or even willing to move to other centers over an hour away to where it was possible. The company has not been willing to do anything at all in any way, shape, or form. This is why I posted the original post and am now at the point where I have to decide does the union negotiate this out for me or do I continue with an attorney (or which would be the better option). My business agent claims they haven’t had to handle anything like this before and I’ve personally never seen or heard of one here in almost 22 years of service.

I've asked before, how did you so badly break your leg? What in the world happened? And yes, I think it makes a difference. With all respect, depending on how this happened, why would the company want you back in any way? You, can't do the job. UPS does not "accommodate" anyone for anything and that includes our customers. So, do you think UPS owes you something? It doesn't seem so according to the law(or you wouldn't be here). There is a w/c process set in place for all this. Right? You think you were dq'd in feeders because of a conspiracy? Again, feeders can be a glorified package car. You have to be 100% or there are going to be problems. And that's why you are here.....you are going to be a "problem" in the future-guaranteed....with all respect. You said "the union negotiate this out for me" didn't that already happen("The company has not been willing to do anything at all in any way, shape, or form")("exhausted all....")?So, why DO YOU think this is happening the way it has? Lastly, do you feel you are entitled to "accommodations"?

quad decade guy

What does life owe any of us? With all respect. For example: my wife has breast cancer. Life is like this.....she is considering a double mastectomy(instead of just one that actually has cancer) because we have great insurance that we probably won't have later. To me, that is a bizarre choice. But there it is. Can you imagine if I got fired today or God forbid anything else like that? Stroke? What would I be owed? I'm curious, you said "through no fault of his own".....well, then who was it? In the end, can't he just go get another job? Take retirement(pension) and go to work? There are many options.....and why would he want to work at UPS? They don't want him there. With all respect.

Up In Smoke

What does life owe any of us? With all respect. For example: my wife has breast cancer. Life is like this.....she is considering a double mastectomy(instead of just one that actually has cancer) because we have great insurance that we probably won't have later. To me, that is a bizarre choice. But there it is. Can you imagine if I got fired today or God forbid anything else like that? Stroke? What would I be owed? I'm curious, you said "through no fault of his own".....well, then who was it? In the end, can't he just go get another job? Take retirement(pension) and go to work? There are many options.....and why would he want to work at UPS? They don't want him there. With all respect.
This employee was one of three employees struck by a falling piece of equipment at our facility.