right to work law

• Thread starter seasonal helper
  • Start date

Packmule

When you get out of denial and realize the reason unions have been shrinking for the last couple of decades is due to their own corruption and bullying, then you understand why the best way to get them growing again is to empower the members to hold them accountable. Only a national RTW law can do that.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Tell us your story. How has RTW hurt working people in your state? Did workers lose their health insurance?

1. Unions that do exist here are quite weak. Most are only out to make money off the union members only. As a result nobody really wants unions as they have made a bad name for themselves.

2. Wages are always lower than in union states.

3. Without unions, employers are able to do almost what ever they want to their employees with no recourse to the employee. Things such as making them work 14 hour shifts, mandantory weekend overtime every weekend, unsafe work conditions despite the OSHA laws. Don't like it? No problem. There's the door.

4. Hire and fire shops. Basically companies that hire you for 90 days and then fire you so they can avoid giving you a raise.

Fortunately most companies here don't do this or only do it some what. However there are the few bad apples that do this to the extreme.

As for the health insurance loss, I think that is more of the so called Obama Care that is behind that and not the RTW vs Union issue.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

In RTW states Union members join because they want to. More Union involvement because members have an interest in their jobs. Union membership is close to 90% with most nonmembers being PT new hires but with in a year most decide joining is a smart thing to do. Only exception would be a few hard core right wing nuts.

Atomic_Smurf

1. Unions that do exist here are quite weak. Most are only out to make money off the union members only. As a result nobody really wants unions as they have made a bad name for themselves.

2. Wages are always lower than in union states.

3. Without unions, employers are able to do almost what ever they want to their employees with no recourse to the employee. Things such as making them work 14 hour shifts, mandantory weekend overtime every weekend, unsafe work conditions despite the OSHA laws. Don't like it? No problem. There's the door.

4. Hire and fire shops. Basically companies that hire you for 90 days and then fire you so they can avoid giving you a raise.

Fortunately most companies here don't do this or only do it some what. However there are the few bad apples that do this to the extreme.

As for the health insurance loss, I think that is more of the so called Obama Care that is behind that and not the RTW vs Union issue.
1.I mostly agree but weak unions & the ones that only seem to exist for the purpose of collecting dues and making money isn't exclusive to right to work states.
2.That's not necessarily true especially when you factor in the differences in cost of living. What is true is that incomes are growing faster in RTW states.
3. RTW plays no roll in the number of hours employees are forced/allowed to work & OSHA violations aren't union issues and should never be treated as such.
4.Hire and fire shops are in every state regardless of right to work. UPS seasonal hires are a perfect example & it is a union approved practice.

Atomic_Smurf

Just to clarify, I'm not so much a RTW advocate but feel compelled to set the record straight when I see it used as a wedge issue. For years our union leaders & Democrats have been rallying members to state houses & working then into a tissy, all the while bargaining away the future of our health insurance to Obamacare behind closed doors. RTW isn't the working man's enemy, in fact its almost inconsequential. Those who call themselves "friends of labor" while stealing from our benefit earnings(employer health plans) are.

If your not convinced just try to find a working class American that has been verafiably, negatively impacted by right to work, then try to find one that's lost his health plan to the ACA or had his premiums double over night, it won't take long. Compare the two & reflect.

16tons

I'm in a RTW state. Had a none dues paying driver get a warning letter for air left on car, 12 days after he left it on car.... (Company has 10 days to issue letter). Do you think the steward said anything??? Well maybe he had a lot on his mind, because he didn't say a word. Driver did it again, suspension (2day). Did the steward say anything? Nope. Did he represent him as state law says he has to? Of course he did, he was in the same room. (Maybe his mind was somewhere else....).

Your right not to pay dues, I respect that. But you get what you pay for(whether you respect it or not).

I'm in a RTW state. Had a none dues paying driver get a warning letter for air left on car, 12 days after he left it on car.... (Company has 10 days to issue letter). Do you think the steward said anything??? Well maybe he had a lot on his mind, because he didn't say a word. Driver did it again, suspension (2day). Did the steward say anything? Nope. Did he represent him as state law says he has to? Of course he did, he was in the same room. (Maybe his mind was somewhere else....).

Your right not to pay dues, I respect that. But you get what you pay for(whether you respect it or not).
Guess what...you dont pay dues, you are a scab! Better make friends with the boss. Because you dues paying union brothers, dont give care about you. your choice!

PT Car Washer

Had a Union steward tell me once that he has to defend a non Union employee by law. How well he defends that employee is another matter. I live in a RTW state and most PT and almost all FT are Union members.

16tons

We've made it known in our center that you'd better pay dues. Took a page outta Managment 101 and made an example outta somebody!

16tons

We've made it known in our center that you'd better pay dues. Took a page outta Managment 101 and made an example outta somebody!

PT Car Washer

Guess what...you dont pay dues, you are a scab! Better make friends with the boss. Because you dues paying union brothers, dont give care about you. your choice!
A bit harsh. From my experience most non members are in their first year of a real world job and haven't learned the need for a Union. Others are hard core right wing nuts.

A bit harsh. From my experience most non members are in their first year of a real world job and haven't learned the need for a Union. Others are hard core right wing nuts.
Why should I pay $2 for a cup of coffee and you expect yours for free? (Not you) I dont care what the law says about equal rights. It also doesnt work In the real world,either.

Atomic_Smurf

Air left on car will get you fired with or without union backing & i wouldnt expect much from the union for someone not paying dues. That being said, in my decades of service I've seen probably 30+ employees fired from UPS. ALL of them were dues paying members.