RIP - Muhammad Ali

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was about to post the video of him lighting the torch at the '96 Olympics in Atlanta. You can see him shaking in it, I'm amazed he lasted so long.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
card5_1452600847.jpg

What made Ali so great was his fearlessness OUTSIDE of the ring. Only a handful of athletes in any era would give up everything for their beliefs.

Future

Victory Ride
I was about to post the video of him lighting the torch at the '96 Olympics in Atlanta. You can see him shaking in it, I'm amazed he lasted so long.
Almost 30 yr long brother .... His father has been going through.... We refer to him as Homer....been going on this trail past 15 yrs ... He is close to his beginning with God

trickpony1

Pat Tillman declining a multi-million dollar NFL offer. Becomes Army Ranger, killed by "friendly fire" in the middle east. (another story).

PT Car Washer

Pat Tillman declining a multi-million dollar NFL offer. Becomes Army Ranger, killed by "friendly fire" in the middle east. (another story).
Pat Tillman was a real American hero. Cassius Clay was nothing more than a draft dodger during war time while other young Americans were dying in the jungles of Vietnam. Later to make millions fighting for himself. That is my memory of the man.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
card5_1452600847.jpg

What made Ali so great was his fearlessness OUTSIDE of the ring. Only a handful of athletes in any era would give up everything for their beliefs.
This is what I remember about Ali.
A man of principle that cared.
Another hero of mine was Jimi but he never got around to sacrificing his personal goals for his brothers and sisters.

PT Car Washer

This is what I remember about Ali.
A man of principle that cared.
Another hero of mine was Jimi but he never got around to sacrificing his personal goals for his brothers and sisters.
Or he sacrificed his personal goals to save his butt. Just the way I remember the man. I agree he was a good talker. He could sell ice cubes to Eskimos.

Oh Shoot

As far as Muhammad Ali goes, the man is dead. Hopefully he made right with his creator before he passed. Since for some reason his "draft dodging" has become a topic of discussion, let's discuss it. He refused it. If you want to say he was a hero for refusing an unrighteous war, then you also have to admit that all the others that fought were heroes for fighting. Most people didn't fight because they believed the Vietnam war was a righteous conflict. They agreed to go over and have their buddies' asses. To watch over them and make sure it was one soldier safer for their pal. If Muhammad Ali wasn't bad for refusing the draft, the others were at least better men for protecting each other; something that seemed to slip his "righteous" conscience.

MAKAVELI

As far as Muhammad Ali goes, the man is dead. Hopefully he made right with his creator before he passed. Since for some reason his "draft dodging" has become a topic of discussion, let's discuss it. He refused it. If you want to say he was a hero for refusing an unrighteous war, then you also have to admit that all the others that fought were heroes for fighting. Most people didn't fight because they believed the Vietnam war was a righteous conflict. They agreed to go over and have their buddies' asses. To watch over them and make sure it was one soldier safer for their pal. If Muhammad Ali wasn't bad for refusing the draft, the others were at least better men for protecting each other; something that seemed to slip his "righteous" conscience.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As far as Muhammad Ali goes, the man is dead. Hopefully he made right with his creator before he passed.
He seemed a serious person about his relationship with God ... the same God of the Jews and Christians.

As far as Muhammad Ali goes, the man is dead. . Since for some reason his "draft dodging" has become a topic of discussion, let's discuss it. He refused it.
If you want to say he was a hero for refusing an unrighteous war, then you also have to admit that all the others that fought were heroes for fighting. Most people didn't fight because they believed the Vietnam war was NOT a righteous conflict. They agreed to go over and have their buddies' asses. To watch over them and make sure it was one soldier safer for their pal. If Muhammad Ali wasn't bad for refusing the draft, the others were at least better men for protecting each other; something that seemed to slip his "righteous" conscience.

Since I grew up in this era and was almost drafted for Vietnam and knew dozens of Vietnam soldiers before and after the conflict, I feel I must challenge this belief. No one I knew felt this way before they went to Vietnam but definitely after they got there.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I've read several bios of this great man. may be hard to believe but he was like an iceberg . .... 10% shown to the world and 90% below the surface. Ali was a terribly complex man. He had tremendous humor as well as humility . He was tremendously generous but could also be tremendously cruel. He had unshakeable beliefs but could also be unfaithful.

He has inspired , astounded, disgusted , angered, and many other descriptives , billions of people.

The world has suffered a huge loss and he will be missed.