Road test for a cover driver position coming up next Tuesday I don’t how to drive a stick shift

clean hairy

Are you sure they’re going to test you on a stick? Our center recently stopped making that part of road test even though we still have a manual or two lurking.

It kinda sounds like you think you’re going to hop in the truck and learn how to use the clutch on the fly. Sorry but learning stick is a frustrating experience at first for almost everyone. You need to hit your most patient friend that owns a stick and have them show you the ropes for few sessions. Also you’re gonna need to give that friend a fancy 12 pack at the very least.
And pay for new clutch for their vehicle....

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I love when a customer gets a glimpse of the inside of the truck at like 1500 and they’re like “wow that is so many packages!”
The only people that knew how :censored2:ed we were was the first receivers. The ones when you open the overhead and the packages tumbled out. If you can open it.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
But we also didn't have cell phones or a back up camera or a magic box that told us where our next stop was - how many packages you had for it
That’s would’ve been freaking awesome! Have fun trying to find me or asking me to help out later! I thought these old heads were full of crap when they told me how you could bring fishing pole with and fish for an hour without management knowing!

UnionStrong

That’s would’ve been freaking awesome! Have fun trying to find me or asking me to help out later! I thought these old heads were full of crap when they told me how you could bring fishing pole with and fish for an hour without management knowing!
They could only leave a message at a pick up for you to call the center. Lot of gaps. 😂

oldngray

nowhere special
They could only leave a message at a pick up for you to call the center. Lot of gaps. 😂
As long as you got the job done in reasonable time and didn't get too many complaints they left you alone. Your dispatch was set in the morning and everyone usually did their own work.

UnionStrong

As long as you got the job done in reasonable time and didn't get too many complaints they left you alone. Your dispatch was set in the morning and everyone usually did their own work.
Exactly. It got steadily worse as technology advanced, never made it better.

rod

Retired 22 years
Someone is BS'ing you. They knew. The routes weren't as loose as you think they were. That is where all the 3 day rides and stop watches came in. They also did a lot more actual spying on you than they do today. Town routes sucked. They were always watching the town guys. You did have some freedom on a rural route---BUT to go fishing for an hour ---BS.

UnionStrong

Someone is BS'ing you. They knew. The routes weren't as loose as you think they were. That is where all the 3 day rides and stop watches came in. They also did a lot more actual spying on you than they do today. Town routes sucked. They were always watching the town guys. You did have some freedom on a rural route---BUT to go fishing for an hour ---BS.
They had to be sneaky, no electronics to spy with. All that route tracing :censored2: didn’t exist.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Today's automatic transmission gets better fuel economy than standard. You won't be seeing manual transmission any more.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

We just scrapped our last manual a couple weeks ago. Never liked driving them but now I kind of miss them. I asked a car wash guy to show me how to drive them after everyone had gone home for the night. He even came in on a Saturday on his own time and spent two hours showing me the ropes. I don’t get how they think someone can drive a package car with zero practice even if it’s an automatic. The on road giving me the test didn’t let me start in 2nd. Towards the end of my test I missed gears and tried pulling from a red light in 4th and managed to save it without stalling. Make nice with someone and ask to drive around the yard for practice. I already knew how to drive stick but those package cars are a whole different beast.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I have not seen a stick shift in my career. Not that I could not drive one, they just are not here.

last season I did helper, the driver beat the piss out of it. threw gears down at high acceleration, lugging the gears, even push-starting it downhill. having a fun time with it because we all knew they were disappearing soon.
They were fun in the winter. The last one I spent time in you didn’t even have to use the clutch. Could just slam it into gear. These old guys must have knees of steel if I spent more than a week in one my leg was dead.