Road test for a cover driver position coming up next Tuesday I don’t how to drive a stick shift

Hot Carl

We just scrapped our last manual a couple weeks ago. Never liked driving them but now I kind of miss them. I asked a car wash guy to show me how to drive them after everyone had gone home for the night. He even came in on a Saturday on his own time and spent two hours showing me the ropes. I don’t get how they think someone can drive a package car with zero practice even if it’s an automatic. The on road giving me the test didn’t let me start in 2nd. Towards the end of my test I missed gears and tried pulling from a red light in 4th and managed to save it without stalling. Make nice with someone and ask to drive around the yard for practice. I already knew how to drive stick but those package cars are a whole different beast.
Yeah the only manuals I had ever driven were Hondas and Toyotas. When I got in the seat for my first road test I was flabbergasted at how different it was and I really struggled at getting the hang of it especially with how stiff the clutch pedal was. My knee, foot, and ankle were flat out done by the end of it. Really happy I never ended up having to take one out for a full route.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Someone is BS'ing you. They knew. The routes weren't as loose as you think they were. That is where all the 3 day rides and stop watches came in. They also did a lot more actual spying on you than they do today. Town routes sucked. They were always watching the town guys. You did have some freedom on a rural route---BUT to go fishing for an hour ---BS.
They said if they were running behind or took too much break , they made up 6 digit tracking slips to cover ass. No way to check or never would

Commercial Inside Release

Yeah, but wouldn't that hot office super be like... "Something's fishy! Is that a trout in your trousers, or are you happy to see me."

Now-a-days it would be fun to explain to the gaurd shack why you have a 38 inch pike in your pantleg.

pkgdriver

Yeah the only manuals I had ever driven were Hondas and Toyotas. When I got in the seat for my first road test I was flabbergasted at how different it was and I really struggled at getting the hang of it especially with how stiff the clutch pedal was. My knee, foot, and ankle were flat out done by the end of it. Really happy I never ended up having to take one out for a full route.
Like @UnionStrong said do it for 20 years(or more) like some of us did. yea yea I know there is more work(20%) now.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
We only take the manual “party bus” out for feeder road tests now. All of our package cars are autos. Step one, see which one you are going to test in. Step two, watch some YouTube videos. Step three, find a friend that has a manual that is available to let you drive. There is no substitute for ass in the seat.

These are the best answers anyone can give you. It’s up to you to be prepared BEFORE you test.

Levon910

God did it
We only take the manual “party bus” out for feeder road tests now. All of our package cars are autos. Step one, see which one you are going to test in. Step two, watch some YouTube videos. Step three, find a friend that has a manual that is available to let you drive. There is no substitute for ass in the seat.

These are the best answers anyone can give you. It’s up to you to be prepared BEFORE you test.
I’m ready

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Hello I recently applied to be a cover driver/preloader I have been a seasonal helper for over five years and have been wanting to become a driver for the company since the first year I was a driver helper any tips and or pointers on how to use a stick shift??? Please and thank you I’m advance
Grindem to findem