Robot Workers

tim_upser

Anyone see the video of the robot unloader on the front page? What's the probability of UPS implementing such a device to replace loaders/unloaders/sorters etc..? Do you think they would go that route or keep people doing the work?

I've been there about 2 1/2 months and I'm doing sorting now, just thinking about my future with the company. I'm looking to stay long-term.

NI3

In current operations, it is necessary to place the packages with label facing legibly.

With advancement and standardization of RFID though, I think it makes a lot of tasks more automation friendly. Since they're not orientation it can be electronically read and mechanically sorted. In addition to weight, its possible to integrate RFID into new boxes at one point allowing them to be pre-programmed with dimensions allowing the system to know weight, special instructions (hazmat, fragile, liquid, etc) and dimensions.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The pace these robots were moving at would be a welcome change at my building. If they flowed like that, you'd actually be able to retain new hires, thus eliminating the need for more robots. Win-win.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The robots would have to start on the bottom of the seniority list.
[video=youtube;REvmhBO99I4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REvmhBO99I4[/video]

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If a computer scans a pkg for 4th St and PALS it to 14th St and a robot loads it on the wrong truck, who gets the warning letter?

rod

Retired 22 years
Just about every position at UPS (management included) could be automated- except the drivers----they still haven't figured out how to teach a monkey to drive. Beware when they do.

bluehdmc

If a computer scans a pkg for 4th St and PALS it to 14th St and a robot loads it on the wrong truck, who gets the warning letter?

The geek who programmed it!

Just about every position at UPS (management included) could be automated- except the drivers----they still haven't figured out how to teach a monkey to drive. Beware when they do.

When you see the Chiquta banana truck outside your hub.............

On a more serious note I heard they were going to start rolling in an automated sorting system, Denver airport has one that uses lasers to read the bar codes on luggage tags. When they first used the system when the airport was new it had all kinds of bugs. Apparently the bugs have been worked out and it's used as a "Modern Marvels" example. I believe they already use something similar in Louisville.

When I heard they were going to start this type of system the reason was that each time a package is touched in the hub it costs $.13 up from $.06. Also unless the programming geek screws up, there should be literally no missorts. Also no breaks, sick time, vacations, etc, etc. I don't know who the managers will yell at though.

There also gearing up for an automated dispatching system for feeders, although that's not supposed to start until after peak. In the larger hubs the IVIS will have all the incoming and outbound load information, (doors, trailer #'s,etc) without picking up the phone.

Welcome to the future.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

Get a truck trunk monkey.....

[video=youtube;Rx6WB5YJia8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx6WB5YJia8&feature=fvwrel[/video]

BlackCat

It would be sweet if they (the computer) could weigh and adjust the true weight of each package and bill accordingly. Say goodbye Pottery Barn..

brett636

I'd imagine the technology for that robot still needs to mature some and the price of implementation needs to come down. Right now UPS is filling those unloading positions for $8.50/hr. in most states with no benefits and somehow my guess is that robot probably costs more per hour to operate when you consider the millions in implantation costs, maintenance, etc. If the starting part time wage goes up drastically I would expect them to begin looking heavily at these robots, but not until then.

NI3

I'd imagine the technology for that robot still needs to mature some and the price of implementation needs to come down. Right now UPS is filling those unloading positions for $8.50/hr. in most states with no benefits and somehow my guess is that robot probably costs more per hour to operate when you consider the millions in implantation costs, maintenance, etc. If the starting part time wage goes up drastically I would expect them to begin looking heavily at these robots, but not until then.

The pension contribution cost is something like $8.50/hr for PT employees according to some leaflets that the local was passing out around here.

Gross payroll amount maybe $8.50/hr for PT package handlers but I think the average cost per worked hour is more than double that. Then there's the hourly cost for the supes to yell and nag at them.

bluehdmc

Then there's the hourly cost for the supes to yell and nag at them.

That's very expensive, think of how many less supes they would need since yelling and nagging at a robot won't work. That in itself might pay for the robot.