Robots Edge Closer to Unloading Trucks in Amazon-Era Milestone

Cardb0ard.

Beer and more beer
Amazon will get rid of all their employees for robots so therefor they will offer low prices on shipping which will end UPS and FedEx.
UPS is going broke

Non sequitur

Amazon is currently inheriting the same negative label that wallyworld is passing on. Maybe new China deal will give Alibaba a bigger space in this market? Essentially cutting out the middle man.

ManInBrown

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The federal govt will put a cap on how much automation by robots companies will be allowed to use. There’s no way they’re allowing companies like UPS to use only robots and self driving vehicles. The effects would be catastrophic. Unemployment would be ridiculous. I could see 50 years from now maybe it could happen. And people are steered away from the current jobs and told those jobs don’t exist anymore. So you need to learn this now instead. Nothing will happen for at least 50 years. The govt can do whatever the friend they want. They’ll tell companies what they can and what they can’t use, and to what extent.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The federal govt will put a cap on how much automation by robots companies will be allowed to use. There’s no way they’re allowing companies like UPS to use only robots and self driving vehicles. The effects would be catastrophic. Unemployment would be ridiculous. I could see 50 years from now maybe it could happen. And people are steered away from the current jobs and told those jobs don’t exist anymore. So you need to learn this now instead. Nothing will happen for at least 50 years. The govt can do whatever the friend they want. They’ll tell companies what they can and what they can’t use, and to what extent.
The government is already controlled by robots

Rutherford B Hays

gun accipere, et abire cannoli
I'll open a jar of pickles for 5$
giphy (55).gif

AwashBwashCwash

Labor is a resource like any other and all automation is doing is creating a surplus of it. A surplus of labor benefits everyone in society so long as people are still able to acquire the provisions of life, which is why you often see automation and UBI mentioned in the same discussion. Having robots do menial labor frees up humans to do more meaningful labor.

Automation + sustainable birth rates + UBI = paradise on earth.

Oh wait, we imported millions and millions of illegal aliens who :censored2: out 20 kids each all for the sake of having a slave labor underclass, whoops!

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
The federal govt will put a cap on how much automation by robots companies will be allowed to use
go take a hard look at the agriculture industry. the govt did not get involved the the implementation of the combine and many other pieces of automated technology/machinery that eliminated thousands and thousands of jobs. the unloaders and scanners who get eliminated can go get jobs in a robot factory.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
go take a hard look at the agriculture industry. the govt did not get involved the the implementation of the combine and many other pieces of automated technology/machinery that eliminated thousands and thousands of jobs. the unloaders and scanners who get eliminated can go get jobs in a robot factory.
... until they lose their jobs in the robot factory to robots.

InsideUPS

Labor is a resource like any other and all automation is doing is creating a surplus of it. A surplus of labor benefits everyone in society so long as people are still able to acquire the provisions of life, which is why you often see automation and UBI mentioned in the same discussion. Having robots do menial labor frees up humans to do more meaningful labor.

Oh wait, we imported millions and millions of illegal aliens who :censored2: out 20 kids each all for the sake of having a slave labor underclass, whoops!

It's only a matter of time before humans destroy humanity unless we manage population growth. Population increases while the standard of living decreases for many.....thanks in part to a U.S. welfare system that rewards people for having children and not working.

Yes.....the millions of illegal aliens as well as so many of those seeking asylum is tragic and needs to be controlled. We as Americans cannot save the world alone by accepting endless streams of people from irresponsible countries.

Population Clock

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 9.34.49 AM.png

A little OT but an interesting side note: Recently went to the Cayman Islands where the shorelines were literally covered in plastic waste material and/or sargassum.
Humans Have Created a New Natural Disaster

I visited the Cayman Islands 40 years ago (scuba) when the reefs, etc. were in pristine condition. Ironically.... a billionaire named Kenneth Dart owns 25% of the island which is an interesting and ironic story in itself. Dart as you some of you may know makes plastic cups, lids, etc.. Dart also renounced his American citizenship to avoid paying taxes. Kenneth Dart - Wikipedia

Labyrinthian

@InsideUPS They have population control in check very well. It's amazing that with all this technology, food prices only going higher and higher. Seems we need to stop working on garbage like unloading robots and focus on tech that helps us spend less of every paycheck and not to help corporations like UPS get robots. Even with robots you know you aint payin less to ship.

Non sequitur

You have the right to refuse. Design a life not a living. Has Amazon begun training a percentage of their people for robot maintenance, repair, and programming? The government should do service announcements warning of the impending doom of corporate monopolies.

1000RR

Yeah because legal citizens dont have more kids than they can afford