Roth 401k question

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Am i missing something here?

With a contribution of 10% on $1000 a roth and traditional both will deduct $100.

With a roth you pay federal tax on the $1000. Lets say 15% so $150.
With traditional you only pay federal tax on $900 so $135.
You're not missing anything, I was posting before I finished my coffee...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The amount that is withdrawn from my check each week for my 401k is mathmatically the percent that i chose of my gross pay. For example if made 1000 and put in 10% my withdraw is gonna say 100. Well when i log into prudential it says i have a roth 401k. Should it not be taking 10 percent of my net income since that is actually after ive paid tax? Did i miss something?
No

Brownslave688

It's absolutely amazing that people will spend more time researching a vacation than their entire future.
I've been obsessed with saving for retirement since I was about 20/21. In my mid 30's I still have plenty of friends that never give it a second thought.

I've been obsessed with saving for retirement since I was about 20/21. In my mid 30's I still have plenty of friends that never give it a second thought.
Even if you only save a couple of bucks while you are younger. That can really pile up over the decades. Especially if you increase your percentages and make more money during your career.

Brownslave688

Even if you only save a couple of bucks while you are younger. That can really pile up over the decades. Especially if you increase your percentages and make more money during your career.
And there's something mentally to starting that saving.

Start young and you'll never miss that money if you know it's going there.