Rots of Ruck if a Strike Happens

MassWineGuy

Don’t know about your station, but if UPS drivers strike, my location will be totally overwhelmed. Nearly half of our vehicles are out of service permanently. We’re short-staffed. And lots of people are off on vacation in the coming weeks. Should make Peak look like a ghost town.

Might be an optimum time to tell couriers their jobs are ending.

FedupExpress

Many couriers at my station are actually praying to God UPS strikes, these couriers believe we will get all there freight.

I highly doubt it,

There's Amazon, DHL, GHL, post office, and countless other options.

Maybe ground

Express is basically an expensive hammer to your late package.

purpder

Don’t know about your station, but if UPS drivers strike, my location will be totally overwhelmed. Nearly half of our vehicles are out of service permanently. We’re short-staffed. And lots of people are off on vacation in the coming weeks. Should make Peak look like a ghost town.

From what I heard Fedex was not taking additional frieight if UPS goes on strike. They set a deadline months ago for customers to switch over. They know we suck as it is and can't handle the UPS volume

It will be fine

Many couriers at my station are actually praying to God UPS strikes, these couriers believe we will get all there freight.

I highly doubt it,

There's Amazon, DHL, GHL, post office, and countless other options.

Maybe ground

Express is basically an expensive hammer to your late package.
UPS has 37% of the market share. FedEx has 33%. It wouldn’t take much to flip those and make FedEx the dominant carrier in the US. RPS definitely gained more than 2% after the 97 strike.

There’s no scenario where losing market share increases compensation. However unlikely we all think it may be, there is a scenario where increased volume increases worker compensation.

NC man

Fed can only take so much so don’t worry about it. Only so many hours in a day, bring back what you can’t deliver. Same as peak on some days.

El Morado Diablo

Fed can only take so much so don’t worry about it. Only so many hours in a day, bring back what you can’t deliver. Same as peak on some days.

We were told they were only expecting a 15% increase. We laughed at that estimate. We were told we would deliver stuff a day late until we had time to catch up if we have to. We were also told they would only take the packages inside of the dropboxes. If customers pile stuff on top and around them we will be told to leave them.

El Morado Diablo

We tried to do the right thing and concentrate on our customers the last time UPS went on strike. We still ended up buried under a mountain of freight, far more than Peak in our area. Late freight arrivals, new customers doing everything they could to get us to accept their packages, etc, etc.. I don't know why management is painting it like it volumes won't be any worse than Peak this time around. E-commerce wasn't even a thing in 1997.

As others have said, as of right now they won't let you schedule any time off in August.

ManInBrown

UPS has 37% of the market share. FedEx has 33%. It wouldn’t take much to flip those and make FedEx the dominant carrier in the US. RPS definitely gained more than 2% after the 97 strike.

There’s no scenario where losing market share increases compensation. However unlikely we all think it may be, there is a scenario where increased volume increases worker compensation.
Your numbers are hilarious. What you posted is revenue. Not amount of packages moved. Lol. If you take a pie, UPS handles about 70% of package freight. The rest fight over the scraps. 37%-33% lolol

It will be fine

Your numbers are hilarious. What you posted is revenue. Not amount of packages moved. Lol. If you take a pie, UPS handles about 70% of package freight. The rest fight over the scraps. 37%-33% lolol
1. You are dead wrong.
2. You think UPS handles 70% of all package volume, only to capture 37% of the revenue and the volume FedEx handles are scraps? How do you square that? My guess is you didn’t think too hard about it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Maybe you will get lucky out there?

mQJ6AA.gif

bacha29

Did you notice how quiet it was overall last week regarding the UPS/IBT talks? If it remains quiet again this week I think that it bodes well for the widely speculated 11th hour settlement industry analysists are expecting.

FedupExpress

I'm not sure Fed can take any, maybe an Extra 1k-2k

Maaaaaybe...

Who's going to take all the extra stops? the few part timers that are left?

The retirees, the students, or The guys who aren't going on road because it's "too light".

Ridiculous now you have to work 12s for UPS 🤣

It would be a great time to give everything to ground though.

Keep dreaming, there will be no strike.

!Retired!

We tried to do the right thing and concentrate on our customers the last time UPS went on strike.
Have you seen some of the posts on the FedEx Employees Facebook page? That was a different time. A time when drivers cared about their customers and doing the right thing. Today's courier, and generation in general, don't care.

FedupExpress

Like FedEx cares
There's a few people who care... They are fighting an uphill battle against the people who don't care.

I care to a certain point, I do a good job because it helps me sleep at night.

At some point though you just become a babysitter or a clean up artist.

they should be rewarding those who try their best and care, but
the problem is favoritism, family ties, etc.

We have a ratio of like 2/3 good personable managers who seem like they genuinely care about employees vs like 8 others who are just total :censored2:s.

as much as I do like the job
I am looking to get out sometime soon.
I don't want to continue destroying my joints, knees, and everything else until old age either.

One guy retired after 35 years recently, I am surprised they didn't wheelchair him out.

His back was done, completely Quasimodo.

For now it's ok...I shovel the bull:censored2: and get through the day.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
From what I heard Fedex was not taking additional frieight if UPS goes on strike. They set a deadline months ago for customers to switch over. They know we suck as it is and can't handle the UPS volume
In an email sent Thursday to the company’s global sales and pricing teams, FedEx said that pricing offers with large customers must be signed on or before July 17 or the offer will be withdrawn. The company will honor commitments to large customers who plan to onboard after July 17.

The company will bring on new small to midsize customers as it assesses network capacity. Third parties should shift business immediately as volume shipped during the week of July 17-21 will determine how much capacity will be allocated to them, FedEx said.

They are really going to go after small businesses. A significant chunk of volume that they gained from the last UPS strike was from small businesses. It can amount to a decent level of volume that pays good rates.

bacha29

In the meantime, somebody must be getting ready. Across the river from my house there is a Penske terminal. Normally if you saw two unrented trucks on standby that's about all they would have.

Yesterday I looked over and counted 25 15 footers, a 20 footer and a box truck.

Can't say for certain but you can't rule out truck rental companies gearing up in preparation for a big run on rental trucks to step in and haul house box freight starting on 8-1.