route biddng? (on topic please)

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You are considered a regular CRR even as a wheel/4x10 coverage.

When bidding for a regular CRR route(4x10 coverage is considered regular), you outrank any swing driver.

I think the system sucks, I understand having to weight different job classifications, but there needs a fix. We had a 1yr CRR outbid a 20+yr swing, for a RTE.

That being said they(FDX) will do whatever they want, we had 3 rtes filled by off the street hires, with no BID taking place for them, people protested, but nothing happened, these spring chickens stepped into a couple of the most desirable routes in the station
Some “people company” huh?

SmithBarney

No one said swings can't bid, but they are considered out of job classification, just like if a CSA wanted to be a CRR, all other CRRS would rank higher since they are in job classification. This is not new,

Preventable

No one said swings can't bid, but they are considered out of job classification, just like if a CSA wanted to be a CRR, all other CRRS would rank higher since they are in job classification. This is not new,

That seems kind of silly, its basically the same job except slightly harder. I understand the bureaucratic reasons behind it, but not giving a full time swing the same priority for a full time courier route seems more unfair than the alternative. I could see a much better argument for giving full timer higher priority for a full time route, but I think my station treated them equally too (as long as there wasn't some sort of reduction in staffing happening)... I think handlers trying to switch were placed on the bottom for any sort of driver job but I am not positive... Most of our green horns got hired on as PT drivers and we had a stable roster of long time handlers weirdly enough.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
That seems kind of silly, its basically the same job except slightly harder. I understand the bureaucratic reasons behind it, but not giving a full time swing the same priority for a full time courier route seems more unfair than the alternative. I could see a much better argument for giving full timer higher priority for a full time route, but I think my station treated them equally too (as long as there wasn't some sort of reduction in staffing happening)... I think handlers trying to switch were placed on the bottom for any sort of driver job but I am not positive... Most of our green horns got hired on as PT drivers and we had a stable roster of long time handlers weirdly enough.
The whole concept was to keep swings as swings, because the more difficult nature of the position made it harder to fill the vacancy. It's in keeping with the corporate philosophy of giving even more work to those who already demonstrate the ability to do a difficult job.

DeliveryException

I guess it has changed in the past few years. This was around 8 year ago. I was a part time swing for a year or so. We had a full time swing position open up with the full time upgrade. I bid expecting to get it but a regular part time courier beat me out on the bid. I argued that I was already in the position just not full time yet. Didn't matter. Oh and we were hired on the same day did courier class and defensive driving at the same time. Basically he had a lower employee number by a few and he got it. Just another time where HR did absolutely nothing to help.

Preventable

I guess it has changed in the past few years. This was around 8 year ago. I was a part time swing for a year or so. We had a full time swing position open up with the full time upgrade. I bid expecting to get it but a regular part time courier beat me out on the bid. I argued that I was already in the position just not full time yet. Didn't matter. Oh and we were hired on the same day did courier class and defensive driving at the same time. Basically he had a lower employee number by a few and he got it. Just another time where HR did absolutely nothing to help.

8 years ago CEV points would have been a thing... not sure if that is still followed in any sort of capacity, but back then I feel like the full timer would have had the better argument.

Nolimitz

Still no bids posted for any "open" routes. 3-4 that I know of. Been doing this retirement route now since just before peak 4 days a week. What a cluster friend

cancan

There are no real rules for route bidding. The only real reference to it is in the PBP manual and stations rarely follow it to the letter.
Stations do not even technically need to bid routes if they don't want to.
Swings can bid on a route and get it if either no couriers want it or everyone that did want it turned it down.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There are no real rules for route bidding. The only real reference to it is in the PBP manual and stations rarely follow it to the letter.
Stations do not even technically need to bid routes if they don't want to.
Swings can bid on a route and get it if either no couriers want it or everyone that did want it turned it down.
Of course there are rules. If no one in your station holds management to those rules, that’s on y’all.

Subramaniam's Myth

Its Fed-Ex flexible rule's. Meaning they can use the cloak of Operational Needs. You know just like Fred changed the mandatory retirement at 75..so he can still work..its flexible.