RTW- Leaving the Union.

If my kids wind up working for UPS, I will consider it my biggest failure as a parent. I'm sure that after years of seeing their dad too sore and tired to do anything, and never being at any school or extracurricular activities during the week, they'll know better.....

Lol.....like you or your kids know who their dad is....

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I forgot to ask @coolslice a pertinent question.

You "write off" your union dues on your taxes every year.... right ?

of course he does. he reaps all the benefits of being a Teamster without now paying for them.

what is the name of a person like this...............????
Screenshot_20191027-230935_Google.jpg

Unpopular post I’m sure. But I got out of union, like OP, for many different reasons. Mostly because they participated in my discharge, among MANY other grievances. I tried calling them to discuss concerns and was brushed off, most likely because our state wasn’t RTW when it transpired. But legislation passed and I immediately opted out. I refuse to pay someone to screw me. I in no way expected miracles either. Just an effort of any sort would have went a long way.
Did I consider leaving afterwards? Hell no. I was and remain pro union. I’m just anti theft. IMO they don’t want to help people that are forced to pay, at least my local anyway. Actually, there’s not much difference in representation now with the paying members. I’ve witnessed backdoor deals between the company and union that’d make you sick.
I’m jealous of people that can say they’re happy with their local.
I’m a firm believer that anyone that went through what I did would feel the same way and opted out. I’m also certain no one will admit it. But until you walk in someone’s shoes you never know how you’d act or feel.
On paper the dues are a phenomenal deal. I’d pay double for the protections and security offered. I won’t pay a cent to a local that, in coordination with the company, uses the contract only when it’s beneficial to them. Otherwise, it’s for entertainment purposes only.
As I mentioned, I often called the local over egregious concerns. People set up and fired, backdoor deals for favorite people and many other concerns. I also contacted the NLRB many times and was disappointed to find out that the only obligation the union has is to literally show up and be breathing. That’s the standard they’re held to.
So I was left with a choice to remain a member and accept they were all in, chips pushed to the middle of the table, to assist in my termination. Or, opt out, knowing I can both, represent myself as well as they did, while being able to get terminated for free too. No need to continue paying for that.
It’s odd considering my local has no excuse to not be the absolute strongest in the nation.
When I began my career I’d never been able to so much as entertain the idea I’d ever feel the way I do. I was beyond proud to be in the union and work for UPS. Time and circumstances have shifted my feelings to where I just have a job. It’s a shame.
I understand the ones that don’t feel like I do stating the union shouldn’t have to represent us. Could you all agree that the arguments you all make that we probably didn’t try to get involved to make change (not true on my part), you also have the same burden to lobby the union and/or state legislatures to make that happen?
I work with some phenomenal people, along with some horrible human beings. We all do. But there’s never been a brotherhood in my building in nearly 15 years. I hold my head up knowing I made the only decision that made sense, allowing me to sleep at night. The only opinions that matter to me are those of my family. They witnessed first hand the total disregard for me and other members.
I still remain pro union and would never cross a picket line. I grew up in what is debatably the most pro union area of the country. I support all efforts for members to better themselves and their families.
In conclusion, my theory is the union doesn’t want anything except dues. RTW only benefits me because of my personal situation. Otherwise, I’d be totally against it. I am aware of who pushes the agenda and know full well American workers are scum in their eyes. I think the union dropped the ball by only concentrating on recruiting new members, while letting the ones that were forced to pay simply languish.
If a member lost their job, the union was essentially rewarded with next man up with new initiation fees.
The union fought for exclusive bargaining too. So maybe contact them to try to change that to keep me from “freeloading”.
I still have strong relationships with the people I did prior to my departure. No one in my building respects the union whatsoever. No one. One other guy opted out, while many others are contemplating it. I don’t give opinions one way or the other. I do know that fear is the only thing keeping them paying for what amounts to nothing.
I know the pay and benefits argument is coming too. And am I beyond grateful for them? Can’t put into words how much so. I earn them too. But there’s an entire contract that was negotiated. If grievances are dropped behind people’s backs, stewards help get good people fired on a technicality that would MAYBE warrant a warning letter, and openly threatening members if they file they’ll have a target on their back , what is the point? Seriously?
My manager bragged to me one time he hadn’t had a grievance filed in the building in 2 or three years. Can’t recall exactly? But it was because of fear and the steward was onboard for his 8 hour day. Hand selected steward too. No vote took place. I don’t blame people for being scared after seeing what happened to a few of us.
As bad as RTW is for working people, it may be the only way to force unions to properly enforce the contract and look out for members. Otherwise, members will continue to opt out with the option available.
I took the job and became a member with the understanding the binding contract was legitimate and would be upheld. Just because they decide when and to who they’re going bat for doesn’t give an honest argument that someone like myself should leave for non union job. I was betrayed and am staying right where I’m at. It’s no fault of mine.
It’s a lot easier to accept the political nonsense when you’re not opening your wallet for it too. The union is who really disgusts me. I learned very early on the company is evil and could care less about anything except numbers. The union supposed to be there to offer some support. Basically I respect the company more than the union. They don’t hide who they are, like it or not.
Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to throw that out there. Hope some of you understand and maybe see it from a different perspective. If not I could care less, feel free to bash away. I’m sure everyone is intelligent enough to know no ones leaving to save $90+/- month. There’s genuine issues that lead people to that decision.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Unpopular post I’m sure. But I got out of union, like OP, for many different reasons. Mostly because they participated in my discharge, among MANY other grievances. I tried calling them to discuss concerns and was brushed off, most likely because our state wasn’t RTW when it transpired. But legislation passed and I immediately opted out. I refuse to pay someone to screw me. I in no way expected miracles either. Just an effort of any sort would have went a long way.
Did I consider leaving afterwards? Hell no. I was and remain pro union. I’m just anti theft. IMO they don’t want to help people that are forced to pay, at least my local anyway. Actually, there’s not much difference in representation now with the paying members. I’ve witnessed backdoor deals between the company and union that’d make you sick.
I’m a firm believer that anyone that went through what I did would feel the same way and opted out. I’m also certain no one will admit it. But until you walk in someone’s shoes you never know how you’d act or feel.
On paper the dues are a phenomenal deal. I’d pay double for the protections and security offered. I won’t pay a cent to a local that, in coordination with the company, uses the contract only when it’s beneficial to them. Otherwise, it’s for entertainment purposes only.
As I mentioned, I often called the local over egregious concerns. People set up and fired, backdoor deals for favorite people and many other concerns. I also contacted the NLRB many times and was disappointed to find out that the only obligation the union has is to literally show up and be breathing. That’s the standard they’re held to.
So I was left with a choice to remain a member and accept they were all in, chips pushed to the middle of the table, to assist in my termination. Or, opt out, knowing I can both, represent myself as well as they did, while being able to get terminated for free too. No need to continue paying for that.
It’s odd considering my local has no excuse to not be the absolute strongest in the nation.
When I began my career I’d never been able to so much as entertain the idea I’d ever feel the way I do. I was beyond proud to be in the union and work for UPS. Time and circumstances have shifted my feelings to where I just have a job. It’s a shame.
I understand the ones that don’t feel like I do stating the union shouldn’t have to represent us. Could you all agree that the arguments you all make that we probably didn’t try to get involved to make change (not true on my part), you also have the same burden to lobby the union and/or state legislatures to make that happen?
I work with some phenomenal people, along with some horrible human beings. We all do. But there’s never been a brotherhood in my building in nearly 15 years. I hold my head up knowing I made the only decision that made sense, allowing me to sleep at night. The only opinions that matter to me are those of my family. They witnessed first hand the total disregard for me and other members.
I still remain pro union and would never cross a picket line. I grew up in what is debatably the most pro union area of the country. I support all efforts for members to better themselves and their families.
In conclusion, my theory is the union doesn’t want anything except dues. RTW only benefits me because of my personal situation. Otherwise, I’d be totally against it. I am aware of who pushes the agenda and know full well American workers are scum in their eyes. I think the union dropped the ball by only concentrating on recruiting new members, while letting the ones that were forced to pay simply languish.
If a member lost their job, the union was essentially rewarded with next man up with new initiation fees.
The union fought for exclusive bargaining too. So maybe contact them to try to change that to keep me from “freeloading”.
I still have strong relationships with the people I did prior to my departure. No one in my building respects the union whatsoever. No one. One other guy opted out, while many others are contemplating it. I don’t give opinions one way or the other. I do know that fear is the only thing keeping them paying for what amounts to nothing.
I know the pay and benefits argument is coming too. And am I beyond grateful for them? Can’t put into words how much so. I earn them too. But there’s an entire contract that was negotiated. If grievances are dropped behind people’s backs, stewards help get good people fired on a technicality that would MAYBE warrant a warning letter, and openly threatening members if they file they’ll have a target on their back , what is the point? Seriously?
My manager bragged to me one time he hadn’t had a grievance filed in the building in 2 or three years. Can’t recall exactly? But it was because of fear and the steward was onboard for his 8 hour day. Hand selected steward too. No vote took place. I don’t blame people for being scared after seeing what happened to a few of us.
As bad as RTW is for working people, it may be the only way to force unions to properly enforce the contract and look out for members. Otherwise, members will continue to opt out with the option available.
I took the job and became a member with the understanding the binding contract was legitimate and would be upheld. Just because they decide when and to who they’re going bat for doesn’t give an honest argument that someone like myself should leave for non union job. I was betrayed and am staying right where I’m at. It’s no fault of mine.
It’s a lot easier to accept the political nonsense when you’re not opening your wallet for it too. The union is who really disgusts me. I learned very early on the company is evil and could care less about anything except numbers. The union supposed to be there to offer some support. Basically I respect the company more than the union. They don’t hide who they are, like it or not.
Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to throw that out there. Hope some of you understand and maybe see it from a different perspective. If not I could care less, feel free to bash away. I’m sure everyone is intelligent enough to know no ones leaving to save $90+/- month. There’s genuine issues that lead people to that decision.
Regardless of the wind you may encounter in here the truth stands tall and we have seen it as well up close. Not every local is this way but a little leaven affects the whole deal.
You're going to hear "Run for office" and be urged to change things on here shortly. Another target gets added to the chest to match the one on the back when you do that so count the cost.
The NLRB has been pretty much worthless (in our area) combatting the abuses of the local union so everyone has a decision to make...fight the local at the next election cycle or just keep your head down and mouth closed.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Nice manifesto.

What did you do to get fired.... and how did the Union "participate" ?

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Nice manifesto.

What did you do to get fired.... and how did the Union "participate" ?
He/she evidently got their job back. But...

I've seen it and know that it has gone on here and in another close local as well.

Is it better to totally back the union reps that are crooked because they are Teamsters (or any union) or is it better to call a spade a spade and face the wind?
There are people who perpetuate the decisiveness internally and they are also protected by "others" evidently for political reasons and everything that goes with that. This is what makes the local lose loyalty from the members who could (and used to be) great support and in a RTW state it's the fire that lights the fuse to opt out.

I know every case may have different facts but if termination isnt warranted it's crooked and it should be prosecuted.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
He/she evidently got their job back. But...

I've seen it and know that it has gone on here and in another close local as well.

Is it better to totally back the union reps that are crooked because they are Teamsters (or any union) or is it better to call a spade a spade and face the wind?
There are people who perpetuate the decisiveness internally and they are also protected by "others" evidently for political reasons and everything that goes with that. This is what makes the local lose loyalty from the members who could (and used to be) great support and in a RTW state it's the fire that lights the fuse to opt out.

I know every case may have different facts but if termination isnt warranted it's crooked and it should be prosecuted.

I'm just curious as to what happened, so that this guy is still traumatized.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I'm just curious as to what happened, so that this guy is still traumatized.
I understand. I believe, without speaking for him/her that it seems that it is more a disbelief that they were stabbed in the back that lingers as bitterness having trusted someone who was supposed to fight for you but sold you out. I can say that I understand the feeling. It is real.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I understand. I believe, without speaking for him/her that it seems that it is more a disbelief that they were stabbed in the back that lingers as bitterness having trusted someone who was supposed to fight for you but sold you out. I can say that I understand the feeling. It is real.

Any personal experiences aside....

Something happened that company took offense to, and thought it was a

dischargeable situation (which I'm more interested in). Whether or not there

was any back stabbing or not, could just be a case of sour grapes. I don't know.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.

was any back stabbing or not, could just be a case of sour grapes. I don't know.
Yep. Sour grapes abound.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Maybe they don't want to fund organized crime, violence, etc?

OP, I don't know.

That's just a stupid statement. The US Government has had an office within the Union since the mid 70's so they could watch for this(and report it). They haven't found anything major for decades. There has been some minor stuff and people have lost their jobs which is way stronger than the corporate lies and cheating from the Company.

I can’t get in too much detail due to upcoming litigation. I can say I simply went to file a grievance, which was beyond rare at my building, due to the harmonious relationship between the company and steward/BA. They then proceeded to fabricate a story that got me discharged. Upper management, HR, union and few of the stewards buds all participated.
But I got reinstated with back pay because they weren’t as smart as they thought they were. All the calls I’d made complaining about the illegal activity going on there that fell upon deaf ears were immediately justified and proven. No one from the local cared. But they know.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I can’t get in too much detail due to upcoming litigation. I can say I simply went to file a grievance, which was beyond rare at my building, due to the harmonious relationship between the company and steward/BA. They then proceeded to fabricate a story that got me discharged. Upper management, HR, union and few of the stewards buds all participated.
But I got reinstated with back pay because they weren’t as smart as they thought they were. All the calls I’d made complaining about the illegal activity going on there that fell upon deaf ears were immediately justified and proven. No one from the local cared. But they know.

So to summarize.

Management hates you.
The union hates you.
Hourlies hate you.
HR hates you.

Kinda sounds like the problem might be you. ;)