RtW / voting question

UPSER353

ill probably be flamed, but can i still join the union if i been working here for about 7 years, i started out with this as a summer job, so my union rep told me dont bother. I feel like I owe them now for all they have done. Will I have to back pay all those dues? will they get mad at me for not joining sooner?

2Down2Many2Go

ill probably be flamed, but can i still join the union if i been working here for about 7 years, i started out with this as a summer job, so my union rep told me dont bother. I feel like I owe them now for all they have done. Will I have to back pay all those dues? will they get mad at me for not joining sooner?
Better late than never, and I doubt you would owe back dues.

542thruNthru

No they won't make you pay back dues. Some RTW locals also waive the initiation fees as well.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Now your starting to see why we have a union and pay dues. Sure 1200 bucks a year seems like a lot of money until you get the wife or gf knocked up and the medical bill comes saying 200 bucks instead of 20,000. I don't work in a RTW state and if I did I would still think what you are saying right now. The union has its pros and cons but for the most part they give us way more compared to what they take.

Its_a_me

Contract sucked, but $42 an hour makes the job better any way you shake it.

I didn't realize that everyone forced to pay union dues makes or has the ability in a few years to make $42 an hour....

...oh that's right---they don't. Most union members on the payroll make much less as part-timers and part-timers significantly outnumber full-timers.

RTW is a management technique to break the union and when full-timers don't look out for part-timers in a contract (such as when the union negotiated starting and existing wages so low the company acts upon themselves to raise wages above contract negotiated wages through attendance bonuses or higher starting pay)....management already won.

Want to get rid of RTW: make the contract much better for the part-timers so that they see a benefit to their union dues the way full-timers do....or be prepared to say the union is a shell of what it used to be.

I didn't realize that everyone forced to pay union dues makes or has the ability in a few years to make $42 an hour....

...oh that's right---they don't. Most union members on the payroll make much less as part-timers and part-timers significantly outnumber full-timers.

RTW is a management technique to break the union and when full-timers don't look out for part-timers in a contract (such as when the union negotiated starting and existing wages so low the company acts upon themselves to raise wages above contract negotiated wages through attendance bonuses or higher starting pay)....management already won.

Want to get rid of RTW: make the contract much better for the part-timers so that they see a benefit to their union dues the way full-timers do....or be prepared to say the union is a shell of what it used to be.
When I started PT I made similar wages as FT after 90 days. 50 cents an hour difference. Most new guys will call me a liar but true. That was to protect and expand FT jobs. We also enforced the contract and sups did not do Union work. Period.

Brownsocks

Just a dog

Full-timers do try to lookout for part-timers and the majority of us voted no on the last contract. The problem lies with part-timers not even looking out for their own best interest by taking a minute out of their day to vote.
I'm sure most pt workers at other companies would love it if their companies offered free healthcare and a pension.*

2Down2Many2Go

Full-timers do try to lookout for part-timers and the majority of us voted no on the last contract. The problem lies with part-timers not even looking out for their own best interest by taking a minute out of their day to vote.
I'm sure most pt workers at other companies would love it if their companies offered free healthcare and a pension.*
FYI The full-timers that voted no...... didn't do it for part-timers.

Its_a_me

When I started PT I made similar wages as FT after 90 days. 50 cents an hour difference. Most new guys will call me a liar but true. That was to protect and expand FT jobs. We also enforced the contract and sups did not do Union work. Period.
It's not necessarily the starting wage...it's the progression. That making similar wages as FT is the issue.

Part-timers now start at 15.50...that's up from 8.50 less than a decade ago when I started (which was the same for some drivers that were retiring--that's how bad it was for years). Four years later the wages will grow (without Cola by 0.70, 0.75, 0.80, and 0.90 an hour).

Full-timers start at 16 but within 4 years are at $30 plus an hour or whatever top rate for 22.3.

You can't have a union built on part-time labor. RTW is the natural result of the two or three-tier (depending on how you look at it) wage system in a union. Once the union gave into a majority part-time labor force they signed their own obsolescence.

Satuirus2000

Any suggestion for how to get full timers to show up to vote? Voting participation pathetic for fulltimers.
Yeah, I'm not sure why it's always framed as part timers are the ones who don't vote on this site. The voting numbers were abysmal all around so a majority of part and full timers all chose not to vote.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's always framed as part timers are the ones who don't vote on this site. The voting numbers were abysmal all around so a majority of part and full timers all chose not to vote.
Its easier to feel better about yourself when you have someone else to blame for all of your problems.

Trailer monkey

Yes, contracts should always be better for part-timers, but they see plenty of benefits for what they pay in dues. Zero premium health benefits equal to fulltime alone is enough, not even counting anything else

Its_a_me

Yes, contracts should always be better for part-timers, but they see plenty of benefits for what they pay in dues. Zero premium health benefits equal to fulltime alone is enough, not even counting anything else
Mean's nothing to an 18-26 year old that can stay on their parents health insurance. And since UPS wages are similar to fast foot without the physical demands...you get labor shortages that existing part-timers have to make up and PT sups working claiming they are short people.

So hence the contract is not enforceable and the PT'ers see a weak union that does little to benefit them--especially enforced through market rate adjustments where new hires get bonuses that surpass or come close to their earnings despite having been at UPS much longer. Which means no pushback to RTW legislation or not paying union dues.