Rules for signing a bid

johnny_hotdog

So we are gonna have about 4 routes in my center coming up for bid in the next few months. I was curious if there are any rules for signing a bid. I am in the central and I don’t see much listed about this in the union book. A couple people have told me that if you win a bid for a route you get a trial period like 45 days to decide if you want to keep the route. Also I was told that if you win a route you cannot bid another route for at least 12 months. Is there any truth to this? Any other rules one should know?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have never heard of a 45-day trial period. I won a bid last Friday but I turned it down yesterday morning. I'm trying to go back to a country route. We rebid all the routes in my Center this Spring. I'm fourth on the seniority list out of 75-80 drivers.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have never heard of a 45-day trial period. I won a bid last Friday but I turned it down yesterday morning. I'm trying to go back to a country route. We rebid all the routes in my Center this Spring. I'm fourth on the seniority list out of 75-80 drivers.

I think its a local agreement or maybe past practice. My center allowed you 30 days to decide if you wanted your new route.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I know I will probably get in trouble (again) but I will ask this anyway:

Why are you so reluctant to retire?
Mostly I like to make money, simple as that. Wife is legally blind and I have been the only wage earner the last twenty years. I do have assets in the 200K range that I would like to increase.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am in the central and I don’t see much listed about this in the union book. A couple people have told me that if you win a bid for a route you get a trial period like 45 days to decide if you want to keep the route.

Unless your Local has some sort of practice allowing this, there is no

trial period. You bid it.... you bought it. The only way around this, is if you take

your name off the bid sheet before it comes down. Look at the time stamp.

Also I was told that if you win a route you cannot bid another route for at least 12 months. Is there any truth to this?

"Employees are limited to three (3) bids per year."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

There is one stipulation, within that 1 year period and the 3 bids.... you can't bid

back to your original route or a previous bid.

-Bug-

barnyard

KTM rider
I am in Central also. In my building, you can try out a route for 10 days. You can only win one bid per year, so if you are trying a route that you won and decide you do not want it, you cannot sign another route bid for a year.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
Sign every bid posted. Even if someone above you signs it, sign anyway. They could turn it down. The worst that can happen is you say no if it gets to you.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sign every bid posted. Even if someone above you signs it, sign anyway. They could turn it down. The worst that can happen is you say no if it gets to you.
Nearly always a good idea unless the local supplements differ with bidding and intentions.

recently had that happen..#2 seniority, secured bid. Also in 2006, tried to go FT, #3 senior PT, top two failed road test.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
No trial period here.

You have to withdraw your bid before the bid goes down or you take it, if you are the most senior.

If you do not like it, you can bid back to your old route when it is put up.

Problem is, someone with more seniority may want it.

3 bids per year, but that is 3 "won" bids per year.