Rumor going around..

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Rumor going around..

There is a rumor going around at my HUB that after peak season UPS will lay off people with less then 2 years seniority.

I don’t get that really. Most people on my line have been there less then 6 months. Most of the chargers have been just hired. I would think they would look towards the ones with the worse performance then seniority.

Been pre-loading for about 8 months now, and my sup says I’m probably one of the most accurate and quick loaders in the building. I asked my sup about this rumor and he said he didn’t know of or heard anything about that. I am sure they know and are not allowed to talk about. The first sign would be a hire of new people, pay them less and no benefits or paid for college.

Your thoughts?

PAUPSER

We was told today by our center manager that corporate is laying off 30% of our workforce, starting in 2009 and we should be accept to be laid off between 2 to 4 months.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We was told today by our center manager that corporate is laying off 30% of our workforce, starting in 2009 and we should be accept to be laid off between 2 to 4 months.

The name of this thread is "Rumor Going Around" so most anything goes.
If volume and stops are down 30% then that may be right.
I have heard somewhere in the 10% volume down over last year but nothing like 30%.
Only thing I can say is I hope you are wrong.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Rumor going around..

There is a rumor going around at my HUB that after peak season UPS will lay off people with less then 2 years seniority.

I don’t get that really. Most people on my line have been there less then 6 months. Most of the chargers have been just hired. I would think they would look towards the ones with the worse performance then seniority.

Been pre-loading for about 8 months now, and my sup says I’m probably one of the most accurate and quick loaders in the building. I asked my sup about this rumor and he said he didn’t know of or heard anything about that. I am sure they know and are not allowed to talk about. The first sign would be a hire of new people, pay them less and no benefits or paid for college.

Your thoughts?

Its done by seniority

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Same Old Blues (J. J. Cale) (4'00)
Have you heard that rumor that's goin' around
You got a man, way across town
It's the same old story, tell me where does it end
Yes I heard the news, it's the same old blues again​
When I wrote you a letter, you must have read it wrong
I stood at your doorway but she were gone
I took a lot of time 'n let your telephone ring
It's the same old blues, it's the same old blues again​
When you gave me the business, you [.?.] I didn't mind
'cause I got a lot of patience 'n I got a lot of time
It's the same old story, tell me where does it end
Gonna find me a mountain, gonna hide it out
Ain't talkin' to you 'n I ain't comin' out
Yes I heard the rumor, tell me where does it end
Oooooh, oh baby baby
What you make me do
I don't know where I am
It's the same old blues, same old blues again
Whoooooooah, oh oh oh . . .​

ih8tbrn

Banned
And yet you stick around.

What's your point brother? I go to work everyday and work beside people that should be in the soup line or else they only show up every third day yet there is no accountability. Their only claim to fame was to fly under the radar long enough to get their "seniority". BTW, I've read the endless threads on these union debates and I know that nobody is changing their views based on some random threads on a forum. The simple fact is that there are some people that need to be fired. That's all......carry on.

A

anonymous6

I spoke with a very high ranking manager who told me it may not be as bad as people are saying as UPS is gonna pick up a majority of DHL business.

preparation is a year round job. we are ready.

Big Duke 6

What's your point brother? I go to work everyday and work beside people that should be in the soup line or else they only show up every third day yet there is no accountability. Their only claim to fame was to fly under the radar long enough to get their "seniority". BTW, I've read the endless threads on these union debates and I know that nobody is changing their views based on some random threads on a forum. The simple fact is that there are some people that need to be fired. That's all......carry on.

The company hired them and the company allowed them to attain there seniority. Take your opinion to the H.R. rep. and tell him or her to hire individuals that are going to best represent the company the way you see it.Better still why aren't you the H.R. rep? Make an impact in your workplace and put your letter in, and become that person who will make sure their are no more deadbeats working at UPS.

What'dyabringmetoday???

My very own Christmas stalker. Perhaps you should ask Santa for a life or, at the very least, an independent thought.
Get over yourself. You send barbs at anyone you please, but when you get one you are being stalked. This is just an internet forum. Don't take it so personally. With the amount of posts you have racked up, I would seriously take a look at who needs to "ask Santa for a life". I guess this is your life. Oh, and sorting your truck prior to start time. Again, Merry Christmas.:funny:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The company hired them and the company allowed them to attain there seniority. Take your opinion to the H.R. rep. and tell him or her to hire individuals that are going to best represent the company the way you see it.Better still why aren't you the H.R. rep? Make an impact in your workplace and put your letter in, and become that person who will make sure their are no more deadbeats working at UPS.

Very good point, how's about it, ih8tbrn?

gandydancer

.... Most of the chargers have been just hired.?
LOL. Wonder why that is.

I would think they would look towards the ones with the worse performance then seniority.?
...or they would fire the most expensive (most seniority). But they can't.
.... The first sign would be a hire of new people, pay them less and no benefits or paid for college.
No. Would have to lay off the "new people" before you. And hire you back before hiring any "new people".

Braveheart

I have been told there will be layoffs for sure. Full timers will bump part timers. Part timers will be laid off. We have to go get those DHL accounts!

The word is about 10-20% of the drivers will be laid off. It will change week to week as vacations go up and down. The volume levels will help some days and hurt on others.

LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS!!!!

Overpaid Union Thug

We usually don't have layoffs here. The sups usually go down the seniority list each day to see who wants a day off. That usually brings the staffing down to par. When it doesn't (rare) the extra drivers usually push a broom, wash extra package cars, shuttle misloads, etc., to get eight hours. Some just work hours only but I worked the local sort a few times to get the full eight. Management doesn't seem to like it when drivers bump inside. I don't care what I have to do because the pay is the same but there is really no overtime for laid off drivers. As long as I get to drive at least once a week (to avoid the reduction in pay) I'll be happy.