Rumor going around..

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
We usually don't have layoffs here. The sups usually go down the seniority list each day to see who wants a day off. That usually brings the staffing down to par. When it doesn't (rare) the extra drivers usually push a broom, wash extra package cars, shuttle misloads, etc., to get eight hours. Some just work hours only but I worked the local sort a few times to get the full eight. Management doesn't seem to like it when drivers bump inside. I don't care what I have to do because the pay is the same but there is really no overtime for laid off drivers. As long as I get to drive at least once a week (to avoid the reduction in pay) I'll be happy.
The reason management wouldn't like drivers bumping hub employees is because typically a driver makes 3X(or more) the payrate of an average hub employee. All of a sudden the hub operations get a whole lot more expensive to operate. LONG LIVE THE UNION!!!!:happy2:Seniority rules

Overpaid Union Thug

The reason management wouldn't like drivers bumping hub employees is because typically a driver makes 3X(or more) the payrate of an average hub employee. All of a sudden the hub operations get a whole lot more expensive to operate. LONG LIVE THE UNION!!!!:happy2:Seniority rules

That would make since but here they let us push a broom and other things to get our 8 hours instead of having to bump inside. By doing that they end up having the part-timers making between $8.50-$10.50/hr AND the drivers making $24-$28/hr on the payroll the same day. If they had us bump inside they'd actually save money. It doesn't matter to me as long as I get paid.

I'mTheMan

You know, I have to be honest but honestly, I don't like the feeling of "layoff" been floating around across the country. If we're going to get DHL's volume then why UPS all the sudden have to jump on it and start laying off people but as it does every year, they layoff new hires only that helped thru peak and it should've been fine right there. Our union is going to have a big headache on this many things and it'll be very very difficult to pull this off to make UPS to do the right thing with the contract but UPS's are ment to be broken promises and contract as they always do in many years. Even though can't really imagine being layoff from 2 to 4 months or till volumes returns. As for me, it is been 4 months that I've been layoff from 22.3 combo full time at the airport and moved me to the hub and even to this now, I still never forgive and still angered to the company laying 31 of us off while we do have the normal volumes since then and even now, we do still have the volumes to work with because we do still have good business around here and good customers who still trust with the company. Hopefully for the best, things should turned around at anytime.

redshift1

You know, I have to be honest but honestly, I don't like the feeling of "layoff" been floating around across the country. If we're going to get DHL's volume then why UPS all the sudden have to jump on it and start laying off people but as it does every year, they layoff new hires only that helped thru peak and it should've been fine right there. Our union is going to have a big headache on this many things and it'll be very very difficult to pull this off to make UPS to do the right thing with the contract but UPS's are ment to be broken promises and contract as they always do in many years. Even though can't really imagine being layoff from 2 to 4 months or till volumes returns. As for me, it is been 4 months that I've been layoff from 22.3 combo full time at the airport and moved me to the hub and even to this now, I still never forgive and still angered to the company laying 31 of us off while we do have the normal volumes since then and even now, we do still have the volumes to work with because we do still have good business around here and good customers who still trust with the company. Hopefully for the best, things should turned around at anytime.

Volume is definitely down, even in the affluent areas, like here in southern California. Unless the economy rebounds UPS will out of necessity cut staffing throughout the country. Best thing now is to focus on the future and maintain your company seniority.

drewed

Shankman
Even if we picked up ALL the domestic volume from DHL it would barely make up the 3% we re down..... we're looking at something in the ball park of a 70-30 ups to fdx split so id expect some cuts in some areas but in that turn we could also see additional positions in others

browndevil

Volume is definitely down, even in the affluent areas, like here in southern California. Unless the economy rebounds UPS will out of necessity cut staffing throughout the country. Best thing now is to focus on the future and maintain your company seniority.
OK I will add to the rumor mill. I am hearing 30% reduction of staff. 15% mgmt 15% hourlies. I have another theory as well. We have been around 101 years, we will be putting out a lot of smaller trucking companies out of business because it is just cheaper to ship through an established shipping company like us. Drivers, trucks , buildings and planes already in place. I have already seen smaller Costco orders come through our system JMHO:happy2:

redshift1

What ever the percentage of layoffs it will probably mirror the percentage of lost volume. This will be a logistical nightmare for IE to implement.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
OK I will add to the rumor mill. I am hearing 30% reduction of staff. 15% mgmt 15% hourlies.

I heard another rumor that there will be 100% reduction:
15% Corporate Mgt, 15% Operations Mgt, 20% I.E., 20% Feeder Drivers, 15% Package Drivers and 15% Inside Part-time.

gded

God bless seniority. Foe u younger guys us veterans have been there. I can remember the strikes. Live day by day week by week month by month. You'll make it.

gded

God bless seniority. Foe u younger guys us veterans have been there. I can remember the strikes. Live day by day week by week month by month. You'll make it.
even a roller coaster has to go to the bottom if he wants to get to the top again

rushfan

Hoax:
My thought's exactly. They're only rumors! I've asked for some definite information, and have been told they're rumors. I can see reductions due to the after holiday rush, but we shall see.

Here the rumor is they want to cut 10 feeder runs. There is no way, at least out of my center, it would be feasible. We take volume to the small centers from our hub sorts. They would have to make a distant center make "pure" trailers, taking the burden from us, and placing it on them. It wouldn't be a good call.

It's just one of the many "flavors of the month" at UPS.