Safety issue being ignored

Dumbo

We have a trailer that we back up to drop our NDA. We are not allowed to enter the trailer because we don't have the "clearance". So if your truck is bricked out and you need to unload air, you need to back up, leave a gap, and then stand in the gap between your PC and the trailer to unchain your door and open it. So meanwhile there are other PCs backing up just a few inches from your PC.

I always was under the understanding that you never stand between a vehicle and a dock. I mean that's safety 101 when it comes to yards. One time I witnessed a manual PC stop and then roll back against the trailer because it wasn't in gear properly. If someone would have been behind it they would have been crushed to death.

I have asked several times, several managers and our safety committee for some simple platforms that you could step on to unchain your truck and open it. We actually have some in our building against our belts. It seems ridiculous that this is even an issue. It is just a matter of time before someone gets crushed behind the PC. All it will take is the right kind of ice or another PC hitting yours when they back up and pushing it into you.

I'm getting tired of this company spouting the same safety jargon like wear a vest and then ignoring very obvious safety issues. I'm getting tempted to call OSHA on these idiots.

Last edited:

Dumbo

I also think it's hilarious you need to have a clearance to enter the :censored2:ing trailer. Umm ok I drive around all day with 10s of thousands of dollars in my truck but I can't walk into the trailer so I can jump down onto my bumper and not get crushed because I don't have your special little fake clearance. Lol

iowa boy

We have a trailer that we back up to drop our NDA. We are not allowed to enter the trailer because we don't have the "clearance". So if your truck is bricked out and you need to unload air, you need to back up, leave a gap, and then stand in the gap between your PC and the trailer to unchain your door and open it. So meanwhile there are other PCs backing up just a few inches from your PC.

I always was under the understanding that you never stand between a vehicle and a dock. I mean that's safety 101 when it comes to yards. One time I witnessed a manual PC stop and then roll back against the trailer because it wasn't in gear properly. If someone would have been behind it they would have been crushed to death.

I have asked several times, several managers and our safety committee for some simple platforms that you could step on to unchain your truck and open it. We actually have some in our building against our belts. It seems ridiculous that this is even an issue. It is just a matter of time before someone gets crushed behind the PC. All it will take is the right kind of ice or another PC hitting yours when they back up and pushing it into you.

I'm getting tired of this company spouting the same safety jargon like wear a vest and then ignoring very obvious safety issues. I'm getting tempted to call OSHA on these idiots.
Is this just a plain UPS trailer or a trailer with air cans in it and someone loading the air cans?

Is there someone watching the trailer while you unload your package car or are you unsupervised when loading it?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

That’s insane

Dumbo

Is this just a plain UPS trailer or a trailer with air cans in it and someone loading the air cans?

Is there someone watching the trailer while you unload your package car or are you unsupervised when loading it?
It's a trailer with air cans with 5 doors to back up to. Trucks are close enough to have to fold mirrors in. Unsupervised. Just a few kids taking the air from you. You are at risk of being crushed until you unchain open and physically stand inside your truck.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
It's a trailer with air cans with 5 doors to back up to. Trucks are close enough to have to fold mirrors in. Unsupervised. Just a few kids taking the air from you. You are at risk of being crushed until you unchain open and physically stand inside your truck.
You’re right that’s an accident waiting to happen. We have an actual freight door to back up to with last minute air. I wouldn’t risk getting crushed!

Dumbo

Stop as soon as you get to the building then unchain your truck prior to pulling up to the trailer.

Simple.

My fob doesn't always unlock my rear door right away. The chain isn't the issue. It's an unsafe practice and one day someone will be crushed behind a PC. I don't care how long it takes. You never stand between a dock and a vehicle. Period.

Where are the kids standing?