San Diego lawsuit

moreluck

golden ticket member
I saw 2 lawyers arguing this on TV......I think it all comes down to collective bargaining.....you don't just move someone, there's seniority issues.

If the guy has PTSD, that means he is too traumatized to do his job, not that he can do his job, only elsewhere.

The company is just following the contract........by not moving him. That's what every union member wants.

Indecisi0n

I saw 2 lawyers arguing this on TV......I think it all comes down to collective bargaining.....you don't just move someone, there's seniority issues.

If the guy has PTSD, that means he is too traumatized to do his job, not that he can do his job, only elsewhere.

The company is just following the contract........by not moving him. That's what every union member wants.

He has a medical condition now. He should be allowed to bump someone under him and take someone elses route.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Can't really draw any solid conclusions from that article. I would think this would be an instance where the company and the union would have to reach an agreement on his accommodation but can't tell from reading the article why that hasn't happened or who, if anyone, is at fault.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think this would be a case where an inside 22.3 job should be created with no loss of pay, benefits or pension credits. I can't imagine spending every day working in fear.

UPSGUY72

The Dr gave him a note that says he needs to work 50 miles away from the area was in before ?? I wonder if that 50 miles was going to be closer to his house or farther away ??? UPS did move the guy off his route to another one but apparently he didn't like that route.... So he quit... I wonder if the new job the ex driver got is near the local of the crime ????

Big Babooba

I think this would be a case where an inside 22.3 job should be created with no loss of pay, benefits or pension credits. I can't imagine spending every day working in fear.
I agree. The company could IF they wanted to. Years ago, we had an employee who was medically disqualified from ever driving a commercial vehicle. The company created a position for him. After he retired, the job was eliminated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds plausible.
Now the Teamsters do not have to pay that pension.

I re-read the article hoping to see how long he had been employed w/UPS but that information was not provided. Keep in mind that we are vested after 5 years so he will receive a partial pension when he turns 65.

Your compassion is noted.

I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to watch a murder take place, hold the victim in your arms as he died, and know the person who did the shooting saw you. UPS should have done something to accomodate this guy. This is not just your ordinary, "I don't like my route anymore," complaint.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't get it....in the Union threads, everybody says that UPS should follow the contract period the end.....no gray areas. Everything is black & white.
And now it's like well, the poor guy this and the poor guy that....you can't have it both ways.

UPSGUY72

I still don't think that wouldn't be ok with this person... It appears he want to be moved to another building I would have to bet that the other building is closer to his house.

UPSGUY72

I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to watch a murder take place, hold the victim in your arms as he died, and know the person who did the shooting saw you. UPS should have done something to accomodate this guy. This is not just your ordinary, "I don't like my route anymore," complaint.

If he was in your area and they decided that he was going to be moved to your route and your where going to be moved to his old route I bet your thinking would be a little different...

Anyways they did move him but it still wasn't good enough.. How do you medical prove that moving 50 miles away will lesson a persons PTSD why not write up as should drive a package car anymore and maybe he would have gotten an in said job. Like I said I bet the there was a building 50 miles away that the driver lives closer too...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I re-read the article hoping to see how long he had been employed w/UPS but that information was not provided. Keep in mind that we are vested after 5 years so he will receive a partial pension when he turns 65.

Your compassion is noted.

$200 a month is much better than $3000.

Just tit for tat ... I find self-centered viewpoints amusing.
You have posters all over this post saying what UPS should do but if they did, it would be against the terms of the UPS/Teamster contract and some dipstick driver would file a grievance.
I can't say I'm not hypocritical at times but I think I can definitely say I'm less hypocritical that some of the posters on this thread. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Compassion? Self-righteous wringing of our hands doesn't do anything for this person.

W

want to retire

Let's just get down to it, shall we? The guy works in the hood. Pretty dangerous place. OK. UPS does not care one iota about the driver or anyone else. WE MUST DELIVER PACKAGES! I'm surprised he wasn't fired for stealing time! Just as I was told to do something illegal(move an expired trailer)(and told to go to the office)(because I refused), mgt. will do ANYTHING TO MAKE THE NUMBERS. I do think the driver has choices. Keep his route or quit. Medical mumbo jumbo aside. I do believe the situation was traumatic-sure. The driver is a hero. BUT-do you screw dozens of folks to accomodate him? Create a position? Yes, you could. But, you open this door(and UPS will not).......As an example: I'm pretty far down on the Feeder seniority list. Let's say I get layed off and have to go back to package(and would be at the very bottom).........I would end up very likely delivering in a place like this. I would quit. I make a $100k and wouldn't have insurance based on my age. Tough? You bet. As I see it.