Satellite route

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I wished it were this way here, the last guys fought it but the union (once again) backed down form UPS. Our local don't have the strongest BA's.

This is probably due to the simple fact that you live in a right to work state and I dont.

ol'browneye

Sober makes some good points about real costs and savings. I have been satelited for 13 years now and over the years more routes have been added to the satelite site. At one point we had 8 routes here, enough for our own little center. One has been eliminated lately due to the volume even though it could probably be put back in if they returned us all to our normal dispatch!

We used to have an on-car supe that threatened to move us back to the main center if we didn't get our cars loaded faster, run better, blah, blah, blah. He thought that would scare us since all 3 of us at the time lived close to the sat ctr. I finally told him "Look, if UPS wants to move us back there is nothing we can do about it. And we all used to make the drive every day before, we can do it again. Finally, on paper, as long as this sat ctr is saving UPS a dime, they won't move us. You know that and I know that. So threaten all you want, you can't move us yourself and you know it!" That was the last we heard of that.

My point is, if the operation shows that it is saving UPS any money at all, they will leave the satelite centers in. We all know how UPS likes to micro manage every little thing and they always seem to do their homework before making any moves. They wouldn't do it if it was costing them money. (Yeah I know there a lot of things that seem like a waste of money at UPS but I don't think this is one of them.)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This is why as a 20 year driver I still deliver retail stores and factories and pick up a 40 stop industrial park. It seems like all the retirement country routes either get spanked with late pickups or threatened to become a satellite route.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Im telling you that the satelites are a beautifull thing, there is no management looking over your shoulder and if you are good at managing yourself they work seemlesly. As in anything else they are what you make them to be. Someday I would be willing to say that any route that is over 30 miles away from the building will be considered for sateliteing. Besides you can punch out early completely guilt free, with no prying eyes to dodge as your driving home for the day.

Im telling you that the satelites are a beautifull thing, there is no management looking over your shoulder and if you are good at managing yourself they work seemlesly. As in anything else they are what you make them to be. Someday I would be willing to say that any route that is over 30 miles away from the building will be considered for sateliteing. Besides you can punch out early completely guilt free, with no prying eyes to dodge as your driving home for the day.
That may all hold true, until telematics is in full swing.

ol'browneye

Our mechanic told us that in order for the telematics info to download from the pkg car, it has to come within 10 miles of the main center. We are not live yet anyway but seeing we are 40 miles from the center, we are safe from telematics for now!

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
They all ready watch over you with GPS trplnkl but I do agree that the management team needs to want this to suceed as well. I believe that the vast majority of the managers understand that its a "quid pro quo" world. So they need to scratch our backs as much as they want the same from us. But with that said it would only take one a-hole supe to gum up the works. However I still stand behind the satelite idea 100%. Like I said I feed ours in my center and I see first hand everyday how it can work. Dont get me wrong there are tough days but no position in UPS will shield you from them. So if you can get on a satelite route and it makes sense commute wise, then go for it. You will never look back.

During the mid 90s I was working in a sat ctr 40 miles from the home str, we had 8 routes. All but one of the rtes were extended out of the sat ctr. Our feed was a 27ft(?)trailer, the feed driver also ran the one non-extended rte. We had the full set up for the DIAD boards, a computer, telephone and both men's and women's restrooms. After 6 years they brought back all but one of the rtes(one of the extended) and now feed it with a TP60. We had two other sat ctrs at the same time. Both of them have been cut back on rtes also.
I would never bid another sat rte unless I wanted to live in the town where it was located. We bid rtes every two years, so one could loose their rte on the next bid(the rtes are not protected).

satellitedriver

Im telling you that the satelites are a beautifull thing, there is no management looking over your shoulder
BS, they watch closely.
and if you are good at managing yourself
I am
they work seemlesly.
As in anything else they are what you make them to be.
True
Someday I would be willing to say that any route that is over 30 miles away from the building will be considered for sateliteing.
Nah
Besides you can punch out early completely guilt free,
Most drivers do that daily.
with no prying eyes to dodge as your driving home for the day.
They are putting GPS/ telematics in our personal vehicles?

McLeod

Im not a big fan of them either, but we have a few where the driver is very happy. One driver went from a 70 minute commute to a 5 minute commute, so his net hours away from home are actually less even though his start time is later. They also enjoy being away from the building, the PCM's and the general corporate BS. They go weeks or even months at a time without seeing a supervisor.
This is huge!! I don't have to hand out tissues to the morning to those who get the sniffles because A) stop count is through the roof...yet they still seem to be the first to punchout! B) Whining because they don't like the route they are covering today! So not having to see management and A&B is why I like my area.

with no prying eyes to dodge as your driving home for the day.
They are putting GPS/ telematics in our personal vehicles?
Nah, they are bypassing our personal vehicles and implanting telematics/gps in us.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Nah, they are bypassing our personal vehicles and implanting telematics/gps in us.
LMAO........someone said the exact same thing last night while I was clocking out. They'll start making it a condition of hire, implant a gps chip in our brain.

You don't have one yet?
My wife thinks I was implanted 23yrs ago.
I hear her, in her sleep, saying, "I know there is a Pod around here somewhere.":happy-very:
LOL, I'm sure as most women she has a sixth sense that works better than GPS.
A couple of guys went out hunting once and got lost in the woods...the deep woods. The one guy that was married told the other not to worry. All thay had to do was break out the whiskey bottle, tell some dirty jokes, start having some fun and his wife would show up to take them home.