Saving Christmas

vantexan

“With the new locks, the Panama Canal is able to handle vessels with overall length of 366 m (1201 feet), 49 meters beam (increased by the Canal Authority effective 1 June 2018 to 51.25 meters, to accommodate ships with 20 rows of containers) and 15.2 meters draft, and cargo capacity up to 14,000 twenty-foot equivalent”
Oops, you beat me to it.

Serf

I would agree except most retailers rely on the Christmas season to make they’re profit for the year. This is going to stress them even more than they are, some will probably go bankrupt. More drag on the economy. Eventually it will touch everyone.
People are going to have to feel pain and despair before this gets better.

Serf

My brother works for the South Carolina Port Authority and he was saying this is one of the main issues, as well the price that is charged for a ship to even go through the canal. Then there is also the factor that most ports are shorthanded already. I love DeSantis, but it isn't that easy to just reroute large, overloaded shipping vessels.
I read an article about a year ago from some real hippie company that was all about bringing back Sail Cargo. Ie using 50-250 foot sailboats following the old trade wind routes mapped out centuries ago and saving the oceans eco system from the severe damage just 1 tanker does.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

vantexan

This is the perfect xmas gift for those special some ones who still allow former president trump to occupy their brains.

I might order that!