Scheduled days off have to be approved by the manager?

AwashBwashCwash

I'm in the opposite situation as OP, I keep trying to use my option day and my sup keeps putting it in the computer as scheduled day off.
I've used the same option day like 3 times now.
Every time I say I'm using it again he says "I really think you're out of option days man" and I just reply "nah I'm not check the computer."
Kind of curious to see how much mileage I can get out of that one option day before he figures out how to code it properly.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Here’s a better idea ,,, if the particular day is that important!!!
Tell no one , friends managers or sups ,,, pick up the phone and bang in !!!
Just don’t abuse the sick days !!!

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
In a previous thread I mentioned how I notified the manager that I was going to take the day off and he objected. I took the day off any way and the next day they issued a warning letter saying I was verbally warned before.

I didn't know anything about what option days were and whether or not I had ran out of them. I just knew that it was my right to schedule off in advance. The union steward told us we had to have a manager's approval as well.
pretty early in the year to be getting a warning letter for attendance , I’d say your about as good as @Birdblue ...FIRED

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
In a previous thread I mentioned how I notified the manager that I was going to take the day off and he objected. I took the day off any way and the next day they issued a warning letter saying I was verbally warned before.

I didn't know anything about what option days were and whether or not I had ran out of them. I just knew that it was my right to schedule off in advance. The union steward told us we had to have a manager's approval as well.
you have to have days on the books the way I understand.
your attitude is going to get you fired.

Azodiac92

You can't just unilaterally decide that you have the day off.
If you want a scheduled day off you need to ask and get management approval OR you can use an option day if you have one. It's not "your right" to schedule off in advance, it's subject to management approval. You realize that they hired you to work, right?

You can check your option days on upsers.com btw.

I asked several supervisors including a trainer before the incident and not one said we have limited days available. This wasn't even discussed during orientation.This particular supervisor allowed me to schedule off multiple times and never warned me that I might not want to use to many days.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You need to give a weeks notice for an optional day ,, for a sick day , you call at least one hour before start time

542thruNthru

I asked several supervisors including a trainer before the incident and not one said we have limited days available. This wasn't even discussed during orientation.This particular supervisor allowed me to schedule off multiple times and never warned me that I might not want to use to many days.

I know what you mean!

We should be able to schedule as many days off as we want.

Also a supervisors job is to hold our hand and make sure we know the rules.

Gosh this place is so unfair!!

Go to a union meeting and ask some questions.

Have you even worked here long enough to have paid time off?

542thruNthru

I know right! The workplace should be more slave-like!

Tell me about it!

Thank god we don't have something that informs us of our right. It could be like a little book or hell even on the internet.

We could put like words in it and even a index to make it easier to find what we're looking for.

Then we could read these words from left to right and know what our rights are. Then maybe just maybe we could use this thing against management.

But gosh! What would we call such a thing!!

AwashBwashCwash

Yeah, and then what happened next?
Oh that's right, you got written up.

Where have you worked that allowed you to unilaterally schedule an unlimited number of days off?
I'm really curious how you came to have this expectation.

MattM

Seems simple

you ask. They say yes or no

if you really need it off, three options. Call in. Call in sick. No call no show. Did they say you NCNSed? How has your attendance been?

we have people who call in once a week who don’t seem to last. A few call in sick once a month. No biggie.

Are you late for work? Did you explain why you may need the time off? If it’s for an appointment, give them plenty of notice

We’ve had brand new hires get 5 scheduled days off for a planned vacation. It’s all about how you ask and the timing, and if it’s a week that’s open with spots.