Screwed out of vacation

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
There shouldn't be any trading period, it violates the whole principle of bidding in seniority order. I would absolutely file on it if I heard about whether it involved me directly or not.
You file on a driver that needs a certain week off and finds a driver to switch with him ,lol, if I was the driver that needed that week you (having nothing to do with it)and me would be having some serious talks

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You file on a driver that needs a certain week off and finds a driver to switch with him ,lol, if I was the driver that needed that week you (having nothing to do with it)and me would be having some serious talks
Wouldn't be the first time :wink2:

rod

Retired 22 years
There shouldn't be any trading period, it violates the whole principle of bidding in seniority order. I would absolutely file on it if I heard about whether it involved me directly or not.

I guess we would have to agree to disagree. I did my time at a small center (23-28 drivers) and we all tried to work with each other as much as possible. Bidding on a specific route or picking vacations in seniority order is not to be messed with BUT once the vacations have all been picked (by seniority order) it hurts nobody if a couple of guys want to switch a week of vacation

Re-Raise

I guess we would have to agree to disagree. I did my time at a small center (23-28 drivers) and we all tried to work with each other as much as possible. Bidding on a specific route or picking vacations in seniority order is not to be messed with BUT once the vacations have all been picked (by seniority order) it hurts nobody if a couple of guys want to switch a week of vacation
What if I bid a route and then gave it to a lower seniority driver?

I know that is a pretty drastic comparison , but one of the guys came up to me after I traded a summer week with a lower driver and he said he had been hoping to get a week off in the summer for years. I understand his point.

Stonefish

I know that is a pretty drastic comparison , but one of the guys came up to me after I traded a summer week with a lower driver and he said he had been hoping to get a week off in the summer for years. I understand his point.

Seniority if they don't have it they will at some point it's all about seniority

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Like Re-Raise said, once you say it's ok to wheel and deal after the bid where does it end? Bidding a route just to switch with a lower seniority guy later so that someone between you on the list doesn't get it? I've seen that tried. What if a senior driver bid all the summer weeks and then offered to "trade" them for a $100 a piece? Would that be ok? I know you worked at a small building but it's unreal the things drivers will do to try and game the system. The simplest solution is to not allow trading. Seniority gives you the right to bid, but once you make your decision that should be it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
images762PH7LV.jpg

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Since we are not at that week yet, the week is open if you have more seniority. Simple clerical error. Sucks for the other guy but that's life.

rod

Retired 22 years
Like Re-Raise said, once you say it's ok to wheel and deal after the bid where does it end? Bidding a route just to switch with a lower seniority guy later so that someone between you on the list doesn't get it? I've seen that tried. What if a senior driver bid all the summer weeks and then offered to "trade" them for a $100 a piece? Would that be ok? I know you worked at a small building but it's unreal the things drivers will do to try and game the system. The simplest solution is to not allow trading. Seniority gives you the right to bid, but once you make your decision that should be it.

All I can say is I'm glad I worked with a bunch of guys and gals who were willing to trade a vacation with someone who needed it worse. There was no "selling" vacations---you just traded. I once traded a week off in July to a young driver for his week in Feb. when a sudden chance came up for me to go with friends to Mexico. I was happy and he was more than happy to get a prime summer week off. I never said anything about trading bid routes. Trading vacations was discussed in the open (usually before the am bs) so anyone had the opportunity to switch if they wanted to. It went like this---"anyone want to switch vacations with me for a week off in ?". Management never had any problem with it as long as it wasn't a last second deal.

RealPerson

Specifically asked for a certain week of vacation on my vacation form, was denied, said it was already full. Then found out someone with less seniority was given that week. Can anything be done?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Did you sign up for your weeks during the correct time????
I guess I am assuming you have to do this in your region.
We have to select our Vacations in December, and only so many people can select per week, then
down the list...