Searching and or Bumping OLD threads!!!!

thebrown1

Now I have heard a lot recently about people using the search function to find appropriate threads or information and this may work most times. My concern is if the post is OLD 7+ months then should they bump the old thread or make a new relevant thread?

Personally I think they should just make a new thread if their specific issue or question is not answered.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Now I have heard a lot recently about people using the search function to find appropriate threads or information and this may work most times. My concern is if the post is OLD 7+ months then should they bump the old thread or make a new relevant thread?
Personally I think they should just make a new thread if their specific issue or question is not answered.

I say threads with no activity for 12+months be purged. You're right sometimes the info is way outdated and no longer relevant. It's just a waste of space and time reading through all the posts / threads to get some answers.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Just let the person ask, who cares if it's been posted before. Answering the persons question takes just as much effort as complaining that they should have used the search feature.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I say threads with no activity for 12+months be purged. You're right sometimes the info is way outdated and no longer relevant. It's just a waste of space and time reading through all the posts / threads to get some answers.

I have suggested this on many occasions and still think it is the best way to get rid of dormant threads.

Their would be 7 million new threads titled.
I got the interview,when do I start? When do I go full time? Where can I buy brown socks? and so on.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
There is the catch. If you purge dormant threads then how can someone look back to see if the information is pertinent or not. If a question is posed that has all ready been discussed then the OP is made to feel like an idiot for asking a question that has been discussed. Search the forum some will say. Well if that information has been purged how can they do that.
Just answer the question

jaker

trolling
I love how many new threads we get in this season from seasonals

All happy to be hired and get mad when we tell them you will be laid off afterwards and they don't believe us because HR told them something else

J

jibbs

Old threads shouldn't be purged because the same questions are asked every year.

And the same answer always given: people say UTFSE right before entirely answering a person's question.

Kind of makes it seem like a symbolic statement more than anything else. An "I'm better-at-the-internet-than-you"-kind of moment, if you will.

I always thought that if people were really irritated by duplicate topics, they'd simply not bother themselves by paying the thread(s) no mind. Or maybe report them. Jumping in just to say "search, you idiot" before answering does nothing but boost one's ego and perpetuate what some of you see as a problem on this forum.

(Not saying you do that, oldngray, just something I've noticed on the whole.)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I love how many new threads we get in this season from seasonals

All happy to be hired and get mad when we tell them you will be laid off afterwards and they don't believe us because HR told them something else
Exactly...why would we KNOW anything?? We just work here!

thebrown1

I would think that someone with enough knowledge and common since would write up a sticky for these type of questions. That way new comers and old have a common place to look for information. That way it can be more along the lines of check the sticky at the top of the forum.