seasonal employees

Why do they take $150 initiation fee out on these employees before they are union? Not even knowing if they are keeping them. If this happens and they have 30 days in before labor day are they considered union?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Why do they take $150 initiation fee out on these employees before they are union? Not even knowing if they are keeping them. If this happens and they have 30 days in before labor day are they considered union?

Short answer: because locals in closed shop states can.

Juicing seasonals for initiation fees is an awful ****ty practice. Hell, juicing regular part-time employees for $150+ in initiation fees is still pretty low. If a guy gets hired off the street into feeders or package car, then hitting them up for it isn't a big deal because they'll be making $18/hr out the gate and top out at over $33/hr with a guaranteed 40 hour work week. But nailing a PT new hire making ~$10/hour at 20 hours or less a week just makes us look bad.

My local waives initiation fees for all newly hired PT'ers and charges a $20 initiation fee for post-seniority PT'ers signing union cards. You should consider raising the issue and trying to start a motion from the floor at your next union meeting if your executive board isn't responsive.

Last edited:

BMWSauber1991

Top dog union representatives have to go on vacation to the Bahamas somehow, why not take it from people they don't even have to give benefits to?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I don't agree with that practice ,but I don't agree with Freeloaders and Scabs in RTW states not having to pay any dues yet still getting Union Pay/Benefits .I guess it balances out