See You At The Pole!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
On Wednesday I attended the annual "See You At The Pole" (http://syatp.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=23) event at my younger Daughters' public school. Because of this event I arrived WAY earlier than normal to work. After changing into my work shoes, I had conversations with a lot of the guys I hardly see anymore. I usually arrive at work with just enough time to change out of my gym clothes, grab my DIAD and pouch and listen to the PCM.

While gabbing with people, my center manager became part of the conversation. After awhile, he asked why I was at work so early. I told him that I had just come from my Daughters' school, which had the (SYATP) event. He said, that's interesting, maybe we should do something like that here. He then set Friday at 8:15 as the meet time for the event, out in the parking area. Those that want to participate can gather and pray for our company, our people/families and for the upcoming peak season because, as he put it, nothing is guaranteed to us, not tomorrow, not our lives nor our jobs.

My question, though I really just wanted to mention what was going on in our center, is, do any of you participate in celebrating your faith at work?

unionslug

I have nothing to do with work other than the usual crap we have to put up with. They dont care about us, I return the favor. Just pay me and I'll be on my way. I save the important things of life with my family, friends, and community.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have a small group of drivers that sometimes get together for prayer in the morning before the PCM.

rod

Retired 22 years
I used to pray that I wouldn't get caught doing some of the dumb crap everyone does when they 1st become a driver and want to make MAR. I feel sorry for you guys (and gals) now----it appears you can't get away with anything. I can't even remember what MAR stands for now. Minimun Acceptable ??????

I stopped going to the faith gatherings as it was too hard to keep dodging the lightning strikes, tripping over the supervisors who were turned to pillars of salt, and the constant berating from our division manager, the one with the goofy looking 666 birthmark on his forehead.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
On Wednesday I attended the annual "See You At The Pole" (http://syatp.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=23) event at my younger Daughters' public school. Because of this event I arrived WAY earlier than normal to work. After changing into my work shoes, I had conversations with a lot of the guys I hardly see anymore. I usually arrive at work with just enough time to change out of my gym clothes, grab my DIAD and pouch and listen to the PCM.

While gabbing with people, my center manager became part of the conversation. After awhile, he asked why I was at work so early. I told him that I had just come from my Daughters' school, which had the (SYATP) event. He said, that's interesting, maybe we should do something like that here. He then set Friday at 8:15 as the meet time for the event, out in the parking area. Those that want to participate can gather and pray for our company, our people/families and for the upcoming peak season because, as he put it, nothing is guaranteed to us, not tomorrow, not our lives nor our jobs.

My question, though I really just wanted to mention what was going on in our center, is, do any of you participate in celebrating your faith at work?
If it was just some drivers meeting up (as in Scratch's example) I don't think it's any big deal. Having management organize a prayer meeting on company property seems a little odd to me. As long as I didn't feel pressured to attend I wouldn't care, but I can see where some people might view it as exclusionary. Work is just a place I go to get get paid.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I had to look up SYATP. I guess it started in 1990. Having no young ones around, I hadn't heard of it. That's one way to get around Madelyn Murray Ohare's legacy!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to pray that I wouldn't get caught doing some of the dumb crap everyone does when they 1st become a driver and want to make MAR. I feel sorry for you guys (and gals) now----it appears you can't get away with anything. I can't even remember what MAR stands for now. Minimun Acceptable ??????

Moving On After Retiring?

UPSSOCKS

I stopped going to the faith gatherings as it was too hard to keep dodging the lightning strikes, tripping over the supervisors who were turned to pillars of salt, and the constant berating from our division manager, the one with the goofy looking 666 birthmark on his forehead.

That's good stuff... +1

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
LOL
If it was just some drivers meeting up (as in Scratch's example) I don't think it's any big deal. Having management organize a prayer meeting on company property seems a little odd to me. As long as I didn't feel pressured to attend I wouldn't care, but I can see where some people might view it as exclusionary. Work is just a place I go to get get paid.
MGMT aren't allowed to be people of faith? Ditto, are they not allowed to gather with like minded individuals while not on the clock? There really was no pressure. People were informed and the people that were interested went and the others didn't. I like your style, because you know this and you know that and you've chosen what you want to follow. There are so many people that want to "play" in both fields.

One of the guys that didn't attend said that he didn't think that work and religion (God) should be mixed together. Other's were talking about see you at the "STRIPPER'S" pole and other's were like, whatever, which is fine.

Pray where ever you want to just don't do it on company time.
If you notice, I've hardly ever responded to you directly, so I hope you enjoy this post. Unfortunately you are very wrong here. You are quintessentially telling me that I may not "think" while I'm on the clock and fortunately YOU cannot control that. Unlike some religions, this "thing" I have with God is based on faith, not works, so I don't need to face any particular direction, jump up and down or throw dust on my head. I can chat with God Almighty, all day long, and there's not a darn thing you, or any "real" mgmt/person can do about that. Now do you see why I don't need a cell phone or radio?:happy2:

UPSSOCKS

If you notice, I've hardly ever responded to you directly, so I hope you enjoy this post. Unfortunately you are very wrong here. You are quintessentially telling me that I may not "think" while I'm on the clock and fortunately YOU cannot control that. Unlike some religions, this "thing" I have with God is based on faith, not works, so I don't need to face any particular direction, jump up and down or throw dust on my head. I can chat with God Almighty, all day long, and there's not a darn thing you, or any "real" mgmt/person can do about that. Now do you see why I don't need a cell phone or radio?:happy2:

Let me say it in another way. If you want to be a Holy Roller, then by all means roll away... If praying at work doesn't result in a work stoppage. Pray all day. However if your religious charades cause production to decrease, even GOD won't be able to save you.

Status
Not open for further replies.