Seeing in the dark

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Swing driver. Was sent to help a fellow driver in the blind. Apparently they can't afford street lights. Anyways, damn the DIAD V is too damn bright. But the flashlight function works great.

The flashlight function on the DIAD V leaves a lot to be desired. The problem is that if you turn it on, the screen is also on. Since the LED for the flashlight is on the bottom of the DIAD, whenever you use it the screen is facing towards you and the glare it gives off is almost blinding. You are almost better off just using the screen as a flashlight, it puts out as much light as the LED flashlight does and you can aim it downward and not have any glare in your eyes. I dont need a flashlight to find addresses, but I do need one to illuminate dark stairways and porches at night.

soberups

3 cell MAG. I like to reach and see things (rural rte - no lighting) or reach out and touch things if necessary. :happy-very:

A D-cell MAG light is not actually a flashlight. It is a heavy-gauge 4 lb. aluminum war club with a light bulb stuck on one end.

soberups

If UPS wanted me to have a flashlight they would give me one. I walk up and look at the address, and if its wrong I walk to the next house. Then, repeat.

While I understand the sentiment, I would rather not blow a knee out tripping over something that I couldnt see in the dark.

soberups

I like walking down long rural driveways in the dark, waiting to be gored by a rogue, rutting whitetail buck.

I havent filled my deer tag yet.

If a rogue, rutting whitetail buck tried to gore me...I would break its neck with my bare hands, tag it, gut it with my Leatherman, and unload it with the rest of my irregs when I returned to the building that night. Fresh venison for dinner, yum yum yum!

Nimnim

The Nim
Me too. It gets dark as *uck on my route but I know it like the back of my hand.

I havent filled my deer tag yet.

If a rogue, rutting whitetail buck tried to gore me...I would break its neck with my bare hands, tag it, gut it with my Leatherman, and unload it with the rest of my irregs when I returned to the building that night. Fresh venison for dinner, yum yum yum!

Are you secretly Chuck Norris?

[video=youtube;fdwC4vhc594]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdwC4vhc594[/video]

Ms.PacMan

​What an excellent idea!!! I love it. Not sure how long it will last on my rough roads, but I'm gonna give it a shot.
I copied the idea from another driver and it works great! The PVC pipe is not quite as wide as the lighted end of the flashlight. A little over an inch sticks out to grab. The frame of the DIAD holder is diagonal and the pipe is tied at the same angle.

I originally tried to ziptie it myself but it has to be absolutely tight or the bumps in the road will make the flashlight pop out a little when you hit a bump so I asked the mechanic to secure it for me. He used 3 zipties and twisted them once or twice before tightening them down. I think this gave the ties a little bite against the PVC and the flashlight stays put now. If you're still getting a bounce you could attach a velco strap to the pipe that goes over the top of the flashlight.

Very easy to grab from the driver's seat!

A D-cell MAG light is not actually a flashlight. It is a heavy-gauge 4 lb. aluminum war club with a light bulb stuck on one end.

Yep! It doubles as an emergency billy club if need be.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Please elaborate on your "swinging" technique!!!
Well, I would start by wrapping my index finger and thumb (touching tips) around the base of the head and then grab the rest of the head with my other 3 fingers, at that point I would let loose a volley of frenzied swings (back and forth, back and forth or up and down, up and down depending on the angle needed to get the job done). :happy-very:

Big Babooba

Well, I would start by wrapping my index finger and thumb (touching tips) around the base of the head and then grab the rest of the head with my other 3 fingers, at that point I would let loose a volley of frenzied swings (back and forth, back and forth or up and down, up and down depending on the angle needed to get the job done). :happy-very:
Just one hand??? It must be a really small "flashlight"!!!

packageguy

Now that it gets dark earlier - what do you use to see better in the dark?

I bought a LED hat at Lowes that is incredible. It had 1 LED pointing forward and 2 LEDs under the bill that lights up your walk path. Lowes normally puts these on sale during the Black Friday weekend. Link below...
I also bought a flashlight last year that shines White, Red, Green, and blinks Red. The blinking came in real handy one night when I was delivering on a busy road.
View attachment 7831
Shop Panther Vision Spotlight LED Flashlight at Lowes.com

I got the same one, works great.