Seniority question

JonFrum

Does management have to go by seniority when they ask people if they want to leave work early?
Management will say that the Contract and Seniority give you the right to work, not the right not to work!!!

Can anyone find specific language in the Contract to support the position that workers have the right to go home early by Seniority?

Although it seems reasonable to me that Seniority should apply in both cases, It may not seem reasonable to your Management team.

Maybe the issue has been decided in the past by a grievance.

Management will say that the Contract and Seniority give you the right to work, not the right not to work!!!

Can anyone find specific language in the Contract to support the position that workers have the right to go home early by Seniority?

Although it seems reasonable to me that Seniority should apply in both cases, It may not seem reasonable to your Management team.

It`s been that way ever since I`ve been with the company. Maybe it`s a 705 thing.

over9five

Staff member
I didn't bring my contract book to the beach, but doesn't it say something like, "Seniority shall prevail in all instances" or something like that?

over9five

Staff member
Are you getting blown by Earl?? (gee, that didnt sound right)

As much fun as that sounds... not yet! Just walked down to the water, seems pretty calm. It is cloudy for the first time this week, it's been in the 90s all week, maybe low 80s right now. The red flags are still up.

It's supposed to pass here tonight. I've heard some neighboring towns (like Rye) are closing their beaches at 5.

22.34life

jonfrum beat me to it,this is exactly what managment says.drivers get better representation on this issue just like everthing else.thats why all the drivers on here say yes,but in the building it hasnt worked like that in along time.if your a 22.3 its even worse they say that 22.3 dont have the right to go home at all,all part times must have the chance to leave before any friend/t,whats up with that.i wish some of the driving stewards on this site could go back in the building and see the way things are now,no matter what you ask your b/a its always the same answer"WORK AS INSTRUCTED".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As much fun as that sounds... not yet! Just walked down to the water, seems pretty calm. It is cloudy for the first time this week, it's been in the 90s all week, maybe low 80s right now. The red flags are still up.

It's supposed to pass here tonight. I've heard some neighboring towns (like Rye) are closing their beaches at 5.

Over, get ready for a refreshing cold front to pass through Hampton Beach sometime this afternoon. It passed through here this morning and it is 72 with a nice, cool breeze.