Seniority

What'dyabringmetoday???

Seriously ?

The company incurs the cost of training, and the driver "punks" on day two ?

What do you think is discussed (and argued) in contract negotiations ?

It's readily apparent.... you have a very limited knowledge.

-Bug-
Sure thing. The contract DOES discuss if drivers disqualifies themselves . It DOES not say anything regarding doing it after two days. You sure do hate UPS hourlies but love the company. I definitely have knowledge about that tough guy. Can you put up another picture of your UPS plaques Big UPS Man?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
GM,
I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I've been w/ UPS almost 4 years now. In July of 2020 I decided to go for a friend/t delivery driver spot. During my 2nd driver along day I decided to DQ myself and go for Air Driver so I can get more comfortable driving and learning the diad. So I was told no problem Supervisors said they were in need of Air Drivers. So around Sept I kept asking when can I get trained. I kept getting the run around. Then the holiday season comes and they hire 2 people to start driving air. When asked what's going on on I'm getting more of the run around. So I finally ask one of the site Shop steward about writing a grievance. Which he adds that 2 new employees were hired after me and that I should be compensated from the time they were hired. After 3-4 wks of not hearing anything I spoke w/ the head Union Rep about the situation. A wk later I finally was taken out by the Supervisor and trained. June 2021 I finally started Air Driving but I still haven't heard anything about being financial compensated. Also how does the seniority work once I move from pkg loader to air driver? Mind you I have more seniority in the company than all the other Air Drivers even the one person that was driving before the 2 people they hired and started driving before me. Also, do i have a decent check coming from Sept 2020 - June 2021?
Hey bud if ya can’t handle the heat get outta the kitchen! LOL🥴

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Once you DQ yourself management AND EVERYONE ELSE WITH TWO BRAIN CELLS TO RUB TOGETHER probably looks at you as someone that will not be able to handle the job. When you are going out being qualified you are usually not even given a full day like you will be given once you qualify. Management will probably do everything they can to by pass you for someone else. They probably think they will invest time into you and then when things get really tough you will not be able to take it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The contract DOES discuss if drivers disqualifies themselves.

It does in the Central and there are penalties.

It DOES not say anything regarding doing it after two days.

There is a difference between DQ'ing yourself after giving an honest effort, and mentally or physically

giving up after 2 days. But.... that is the company's problem.

I definitely have knowledge about that tough guy.

Personal experience ?

That's nothing to be ashamed of.

Most of our air drivers are DQed delivery drivers.

Sometimes, it's a good stepping stone for some people.

Learning to be comfortable driving the truck and being proficient with the DIAD, are easier as an Air Driver.

takesteady

Unfortunately, that describes a lot of folks here. Look how much more play the ‘preload bashing’ thread has than the management one. We may be in the same union, but these type of guys are NOT on your team and will sell you out in a second.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Wish I would have disqualified my self back in the early 80's. Then I wouldn't have to be sitting here on my patio now looking at the Rockies and watching my cannabis grow all while collecting a nice Teamster pension.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Wish I would have disqualified my self back in the early 80's. Then I wouldn't have to be sitting here on my patio now looking at the Rockies and watching my cannabis grow all while collecting a nice Teamster pension.
I ran across a young driver the other day that knows I just retired and he asked me “Was it worth it.” I said now that I’m retired Yes it was worth it but if you would of ask me that same question when I had 15 yrs in at UPS I’m not sure if the answer would of been the same.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It does in the Central and there are penalties.

There is a difference between DQ'ing yourself after giving an honest effort, and mentally or physically

giving up after 2 days. But.... that is the company's problem.

Personal experience ?

That's nothing to be ashamed of.

Sometimes, it's a good stepping stone for some people.

Learning to be comfortable driving the truck and being proficient with the DIAD, are easier as an Air Driver.
Personal experience of your hatred toward UPS hourly people.

JustDeliverIt

I ran across a young driver the other day that knows I just retired and he asked me “Was it worth it.” I said now that I’m retired Yes it was worth it but if you would of ask me that same question when I had 15 yrs in at UPS I’m not sure if the answer would of been the same.

Completely agree, this is a job you have to go into with an endgame in mind. I'm 14+ years in and getting to the halfway point is a milestone for me personally. This place will wear you down if you let it and sometimes it doesn't give you a choice. But if you're smart along the way it can turn out well for many of us.

Congrats on your recent freedom as well

Darmark7

Completely agree, this is a job you have to go into with an endgame in mind. I'm 14+ years in and getting to the halfway point is a milestone for me personally. This place will wear you down if you let it and sometimes it doesn't give you a choice. But if you're smart along the way it can turn out well for many of us.

Congrats on your recent freedom as well
Thank You for the Congratulations.
Yes the end game is what it’s about. The advice I would give someone in your position is #1 go at a pace you can survive for the remainder years so you will be able to walk out of there whole and not crippled. Really think about preserving your body. #2 Don’t fall into the trap of spending whatever you make on newer and bigger things. #3 work towards being debt free as retirement is getting closer. #4 live on as small of a percentage of your paycheck that you can then save and invest the rest towards your future retiremen.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Yes the end game is what it’s about. The advice I would give someone in your position is #1 go at a pace you can survive for the remainder years so you will be able to walk out of there whole and not crippled. Really think about preserving your body. #2 Don’t fall into the trap of spending whatever you make on newer and bigger things. #3 work towards being debt free as retirement is getting closer. #4 live on as small of a percentage of your paycheck that you can then save and invest the rest towards your future retiremen.
Sounds stressful. Im gonna just stick with my original plan, work till i die.

Darmark7

Sounds stressful. Im gonna just stick with my original plan, work till i die.
Yes stress is what ever aggravates a person. One persons stress is another’s calm. UPS was more stressful to me than a life of living below my means while I was getting set for a stress free retirement. My wife and I have never had an argument over money in 37 yrs of marriage so that stress was also gone. UPS was definitely more stressful than the planning it took to get out of there at 57 yrs old but if I would of liked working then I guess I would of wanted to work till the day I died also.

JustDeliverIt

That's exactly why I took the rural route I did. Most the guys and gals here think I'm nuts for doing 120+ miles a day. I say the more I drive, the less I can deliver. A lot easier on the body. See too many people hobbling around the building that were superheroes 10 years ago.