Senority question?

Benefits

you sound like a 3rd grader
Should have told him you were gonna hold
your breath until you pass out

SMH

OP asked a reasonable question and there have been helpful and informative responses.
Burrheadd, I would like to ask you a couple of questions directly.
1. why would you go out of your way to shame a fellow union brother?
2. When does seniority matter to you?
3. OP sounds like a new union member and /or doesn't have a strong steward or one with time to educate members. This is frequent for part-timers. I personally have a good steward, but due to their position and hours, it makes it very difficult for most people to talk with them, especially in the moment things are happening.
Question is-
Will you expect OP to vote on the next contract? Care about the full timers, drivers, retires and their benefits. What benefit is it to them personally? They may just act like a 3rd grader, and decide, they pay their union dues, no reason to vote on topics that realistically will never pertain to them. I would say, 90% of the people I work with, have no desire to be a driver, nor will they ever get full time work. Most will never make it to retirement. That changed (at least in my area) in the last contract, from 10 to 20 years. UPS has done and is doing away with most jobs that were skilled. (less lifting involved).

Ending it, with thanks to those who gave OP and the others hear reading the information.

542thruNthru

Incorrect.

Also incorrect, as long as they didn't act in arbitrary or discriminatory ways, or in bad faith.

Once you file a grievance, it becomes the property of the Union. They don't have to hear your grievance if they feel that they cannot, or will not, win it.

Yep, that's what our lawyer has always told us.

I laugh when people say they will demand their local go to arbitration and if they don't they will sue or file a ULP.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I don't think the BA would toss grievance. It would be a violation of NLRB. I don't think he would want to mess with them. Also, you could bring charges against him with the union for not processing your grievance. But that does not guarantee he will fight for you. Our BA when I was a steward was not on exactly very helpful.
Our BA tosses grievances on a normal basis- and Big Union Man wonders why many have given up on the Turdsters.

Overpaid Union Thug

Yep, that's what our lawyer has always told us.

I laugh when people say they will demand their local go to arbitration and if they don't they will sue or file a ULP.
I agree with refusing to process bogus grievances. Mainly because there are so many of them at times. But what I don’t agree with is when a steward and/or business agent refuses to process a valid grievance because they don’t want to upset the status quo in a center or building.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Also incorrect, as long as they didn't act in arbitrary or discriminatory ways, or in bad faith.

Once you file a grievance, it becomes the property of the Union. They don't have to hear your grievance if they feel that they cannot, or will not, win it.
Interesting. Once, I filed a grievance over a seniority issue. My BA filed the grievance and I went to the hearing. They had me sit in a hotel room with several other employees waiting for each to be called. All were heard but mine. Then the committee went to lunch while I waited. When they returned, the grievance was heard and turned down while my BA sit on his hands and did not say a word. It was obvious the decision was made before I even went into the room. I then had a meeting with our Local President. After explaining the entire grievance and what had happened at meeting, he was prepared to file charges against our BA. I told him I did not want to see any fellow Teamster lose their job, so he called the BA into the meeting. After the President spoke with him with me present, the BA had a meeting with Labor which I did not attend or invited to. The grievance was then reversed as the issue was violated. The grievance involved overtime offered to lower seniority employees instead of senior employees first. Also, every grievance from then on I was present for, mine was heard first so I could return to work. At that time, stewards were not reimbursed for time spent at hearings.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The grievance involved overtime offered to lower seniority employees instead of senior employees first.

If these were the facts of the case, then yes, the BA should have pursued the grievance as a violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

My point still stands. If a BA has reasonable cause to not pursue a grievance, such as no chance of winning it, or a decision has already been made, he does not have to pursue the grievance and any charges that may be filed by the grievant will not be pursued.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
But what I don’t agree with is when a steward and/or business agent refuses to process a valid grievance because they don’t want to upset the status quo in a center or building.

This is a totally different situation than a BA not pursuing a grievance because there is no contractual violation.

You can file charges on a BA for not pursuing a legitimate grievance, but you can't file charges just for him/her not hearing a grievance. I should say you can, but if the BA has a reasonable explanation, the charges will go nowhere.

Overpaid Union Thug

This is a totally different situation than a BA not pursuing a grievance because there is no contractual violation.

You can file charges on a BA for not pursuing a legitimate grievance, but you can't file charges just for him/her not hearing a grievance. I should say you can, but if the BA has a reasonable explanation, the charges will go nowhere.
So yeah. What I said.

A reasonable explanation isn’t “we don’t want to change anything because it will upset the status quo.” Crap like that just weakens the union. If people don’t like contract language then they should push for it to be changed or deleted next time there are contract proposal meetings. But none will seeing how most won’t even vote.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So yeah. What I said.

A reasonable explanation isn’t “we don’t want to change anything because it will upset the status quo.” Crap like that just weakens the union. If people don’t like contract language then they should push for it to be changed or deleted next time there are contract proposal meetings. But none will seeing how most won’t even vote.

Yea, what you said.

But my original reply was to what @ski or die said.

I don't think the BA would toss grievance. It would be a violation of NLRB

And this is not necessarily true.

Everyone on here is a bunch of p*****s. "Grieve when I want to work grieve when I don't want to work blah, blah, blah". Stop being p*****s. Shut up and work...if you don't like the job go do something else.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Everyone on here is a bunch of p*****s. "Grieve when I want to work grieve when I don't want to work blah, blah, blah". Stop being p*****s. Shut up and work...if you don't like the job go do something else.

3DFE9A16-590B-4991-A8D5-788EEC1D30AA.gif

3FDFA2A8-7EB4-467C-9CDC-0B5BED986C54.gif

UPSER1987

I agree with your assessment. Most bitch here because they are too cowardly to do so in real life. As you implied, UPS is not the only employer out there. If one doesn’t like, one should seek employment elsewhere.

I agree with your assessment. Most bitch here because they are too cowardly to do so in real life. As you implied, UPS is not the only employer out there. If one doesn’t like, one should seek employment elsewhere.
I agree with you mostly although I think the people on here bitch in real life too. They are the ones with something to complain about every day. "That's too many stops", or "my area's too big", or " my Orion is terrible and I'm not smart enough to figure it out so I'm just going to follow it", or "you got me driving way too many miles". Meanwhile, I'll take the work that takes them 10 hours and get it done in less than 8 and go home. It's the people on here that give the union a bad name because they work harder at being a bad employee than actually doing their job.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I agree with you mostly although I think the people on here bitch in real life too. They are the ones with something to complain about every day. "That's too many stops", or "my area's too big", or " my Orion is terrible and I'm not smart enough to figure it out so I'm just going to follow it", or "you got me driving way too many miles". Meanwhile, I'll take the work that takes them 10 hours and get it done in less than 8 and go home. It's the people on here that give the union a bad name because they work harder at being a bad employee than actually doing their job.

We got a runner gunner up in this B*

Go gettem tiger