senority

JDMC1212

just want to get ur guys view on a problem i have. i have been doing set up for my area since the start of dec. up until now i have been doing it with no problem but this past friday a coworker with more seniority came in and did it. this kinda ticked me off because when the time to do set up become available in dec. he showed no interest and that is how i started to do it. my view is that since he passed up the opportunity to do it when it became available it went to me. all views and opinions are appreciated :happy2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
just want to get ur guys view on a problem i have. i have been doing set up for my area since the start of dec. up until now i have been doing it with no problem but this past friday a coworker with more seniority came in and did it. this kinda ticked me off because when the time to do set up become available in dec. he showed no interest and that is how i started to do it. my view is that since he passed up the opportunity to do it when it became available it went to me. all views and opinions are appreciated :happy2:

That's the way it works in a union shop. Seniority rules.

JDMC1212

How many hours are you getting a day? What has your center manager said about this?
im getting anywhere from 6 to 8 hours a day. ive talked to sups and other coworkers about it and found out that he is also gettting extra time to do a safety meet and greet along with the set up and all have said that he cant do both, just got to talk to a stuward tomorrow since we couldnt get ahold of one today. they said since he choose to do the safety thing and passed up the set up when it was availible that he cant come back now and do set up along with the other time he is getting. what u guys have to say???

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Its my experience that if someone is doing setup they have to refuse it before anyone else does the setup for that area. Seniority or not. It's similar to part-time preferred jobs. If you want a pick-off, you can't just bump somoene. There has to be an open position.

the union caters to the weakest link but yet will screw another union member out of a fair position... i have seen it! its inheritly flawed like that. dont be surpised to see this contradictory type of action. especially where expierience comes in!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
the union caters to the weakest link but yet will screw another union member out of a fair position... i have seen it! its inheritly flawed like that. dont be surpised to see this contradictory type of action. especially where expierience comes in!

Careful who you call the "weakest link", as they may come to your rescue one day. The union sets a standard to abide by, so that even people, like you, that don't want to join the ranks, still get a fair chance. It may not be to your liking, but it's the best we have and keeps your fellow UPS'ers from jumping/cutting the line ahead of you.