Serious injures at UPS

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Both times hourly won. Cops were only called once. That was at a Safe Driving Party when some idiot Safety guy from Minneapolis made a pass at a drivers wife. A real knock down drag out --Tables and chairs were thrown . One of the highlights of my career.
that video would have gone viral. " UPSers Gone Wild "

UPSER1987

We had more than a few BBQ evenings at the center. Late eighties early nineties definitely was a different time. Definitely strict on the clock but we were still able to be civil off the clock.
Those were the good old days. We’ll never see that again and it’s sad.

HavenoEDD

On topic and it’s sad that so many don’t understand that the big brown machine has and will go on without you. Can’t take it personal and that’s why so many of us just show up and do the job. If you don’t get too invested in feelings, when you get hurt you know and expect the company and management to do what they can. New and young guys call us salty and in time and when they get hurt…they learn why.

Had the most professional driver retire after 35 years last month. Got a handshake, a night at the bar and a 22.4 was on his route the next day.
A few months ago, a 8 year driver who was never in the office and everyone liked was caught stealing, walked out the building and we never saw him again….and the next day, his route was run by someone trying to qualify.

Point I am getting at is that the company will keep moving regardless.it us to and you can’t take it personal. Do your best to enjoy your time, know that things can and will happen. The company will do what it has to and in return you do what you have to. Work safely, follow the methods and don’t bring work and stress home with you.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
On topic and it’s sad that so many don’t understand that the big brown machine has and will go on without you. Can’t take it personal and that’s why so many of us just show up and do the job. If you don’t get too invested in feelings, when you get hurt you know and expect the company and management to do what they can. New and young guys call us salty and in time and when they get hurt…they learn why.

Had the most professional driver retire after 35 years last month. Got a handshake, a night at the bar and a 22.4 was on his route the next day.
A few months ago, a 8 year driver who was never in the office and everyone liked was caught stealing, walked out the building and we never saw him again….and the next day, his route was run by someone trying to qualify.

Point I am getting at is that the company will keep moving regardless.it us to and you can’t take it personal. Do your best to enjoy your time, know that things can and will happen. The company will do what it has to and in return you do what you have to. Work safely, follow the methods and don’t bring work and stress home with you.
I have been retired for 7 years now and about once a year i go visit...usually the shop because I always liked the mechanics best. I can not believe the changes. The yard is so congested .

Everyone i spoke to was so unhappy and complaining . The feeder drivers are all worked out to max hours. They are making 140-150K a year now ( I was averaging about 105k my last 5 years or so ). and they all appear miserable.

Leaving when I got to Peer 80 was just about the best decision I ever made.

qdg2

I have been retired for 7 years now and about once a year i go visit...usually the shop because I always liked the mechanics best. I can not believe the changes. The yard is so congested .

Everyone i spoke to was so unhappy and complaining . The feeder drivers are all worked out to max hours. They are making 140-150K a year now ( I was averaging about 105k my last 5 years or so ). and they all appear miserable.

We don't have peer 80.....

Most of our unhappy folks are street hires/pkg car bids....They are low man.....in progression and work weekends and CPU. I see many 50+ folks off the street....a lot of female too. Some in their 60's.....NEW HIRES.

Covid changed our yards.....

I work 60+ hours and live very comfortably....

NYJetsfan87

OK? What would you do?

Let’s say this is your company. It’s sad, but someone is seriously ill or dies. Are you not going to replace this person?

Or are you going to force all the other employees to pick up the pace and cover his job?

It’s a business with 450,000 employees. It’s not a mom and pop where the owners know all their employees. You’re just a number to your Sup.

It is what it is. It’s like this for all big conglomerates. Even for most of the smaller ones also.

Once you realize this, your tenure at the Big Brown will be less stressful.
To answer your question “ what would you do ? “ My answer would be simply . I would replace him. I agree with your premise and understand what you’re saying. However , I don’t think you understand what I’m saying. I damn sure hope I’m still allowed to voice my concerns. UPS isn’t communist Russia yet. Although some people in management like to make it like that. And I sure as heck am not going to let this tyrant kill me during the job so he could replace me with one of his 21 year old buddies . Even though this guys like 40+. The point of my post was to point out the Tyrant full time supervisor Aka the acting manager as he likes to call himself works five hours a day , sleeps and hides in offices for the five hours , doesn’t touch a box and takes off 5 or 6 times a month. This incompetent liar doesn’t even do his timecards. Long story short , I came over from feeder a short time ago and ended up with this tyrant after he initially told me I couldn’t be in smalls sort. I was never given a timecard. My first day I never saw the guy in the operation all night , finished my assignment and then asked the part time supervisor to get the full timer so I can ensure I get paid. The part time supervisor stated she didn’t know where the full timer was and that she does the times. I’m like what ?! Then she said another part timer does the supervisor time cards . So basically he does nothing but likes to work other people , mostly older employees ,management and union to death and plays favorites while he ensures he is safe , rested and healthy. In keeping with my promise to make a long story short , I won’t let this man kill me while he hides in an office. He expects employees to perform tasks he wouldn’t do himself and wouldn’t even know how to do. Maybe if people started suing him instead of the company this tyrant would be out of business by now. So if I follow his rules I’ll work extra fast in a heat wave , run through break , drop dead so the tyrant who hides in an office can have “good “ numbers “ and get promoted ? Sorry. Not happening. And before they bury me he will have me replaced with his younger favorites. Ok that’s my vent for the day. I appreciate everyone who was willing to read it.

NYJetsfan87

To the OP....

I'm confused how having a stroke is an injury......illness perhaps.....stress...
It was just a title I made for the post. I’m not blaming UPS like I stated. It’s just sad how many people have serious injuries inside or outside of the job.

rod

Retired 22 years

I never met a Feeder driver who didn't max out his hours one way or the other. They were all overtime whores. :-)

qdg2

I never met a Feeder driver who didn't max out his hours one way or the other. They were all overtime whores. :-)
Whore:prostitute

Well.

You worked for pay.....thus you are/were a whore.

Some work harder than others and longer. Some are content with hand jobs I guess......

rod

Retired 22 years
Whore:prostitute

Well.

You worked for pay.....thus you are/were a whore.

Some work harder than others and longer. Some are content with hand jobs I guess......
I was happy with an hour a day overtime (didn't always work out that way). I never volunteered to work a day I didn't have to. No day after Thanksgiving or any of the other times they would want you to come in. I never came in on my vacation "because they were short of help". I never worked a Saturday or Sunday. NEVER.

qdg2

I was happy with an hour a day overtime (didn't always work out that way). I never volunteered to work a day I didn't have to. No day after Thanksgiving or any of the other times they would want you to come in. I never came in on my vacation "because they were short of help". I never worked a Saturday or Sunday. NEVER.
You disparaged people that work overtime.

I never did any of those things either. So, how are we so different?

My idea is that IF I'm going to work and all that implies......and means.....I'll get maximum profit from it. It maximizes efficiency.

A whore is a whore....right?

And for those that crow about retiring "early"(50's whatever) and then go get a job......means what exactly? Working after you "retire"......is working. Might as well make $60 bucks an hour.....

rod

Retired 22 years
You disparaged people that work overtime.

I never did any of those things either. So, how are we so different?

My idea is that IF I'm going to work and all that implies......and means.....I'll get maximum profit from it. It maximizes efficiency.

A whore is a whore....right?

And for those that crow about retiring "early"(50's whatever) and then go get a job......means what exactly? Working after you "retire"......is working. Might as well make $60 bucks an hour.....
There is a BIG difference between working at UPS and working at a retirement job you enjoy. After retiring I worked a few weeks during the Spring and Fall flying with our local Dept of Natural Resources spotting forest fires. I had a blast doing it. I also worked 14 years as a Forest Gump mowing grass and other handyman stuff for my Township at 20 bucks an hour. I probably averaged about 10 hours a week and only had one standing order (the Township cemetery had to be looking good for Memorial Day) otherwise I was allowed to come and go as I please. It wasn't actually ball busting work riding around on a $10,000 Zero Turn John Deere mower. I even get a small pension from that job.

takesteady

Years ago a contract janitor had a heat stroke in the building and died on one of the top belts. He wasn't found until the next shift. I really don't understand how the company justifies not having A/C in the warehouse, especially in southern states. Completely preventable tragedy.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
We had more than a few BBQ evenings at the center. Late eighties early nineties definitely was a different time. Definitely strict on the clock but we were still able to be civil off the clock.
I can see that in all facets of life at that current time. You could discuss differing opinions, banter, and have a beer afterwards. The country and to a certain extent the world is divided against each other now. I don’t know this may just be anecdotal for me. I believe it starts at the home. I’m certain since then the family unit has been broken for quite some time and it’s got us to where we are at today.