Set up for failure or not?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm just going to toss this against the wall and see if it sticks. If there truely was a ton of failures wouldn't it show onthe bottom line? I'm mean they are reporting record profits during a down economy so they gotta be doing something that's succeeding. Now wether we agree on how those results are obtained, that's another issue all together. Besides, it's a lot easier to negotiate a better contract when UPS themselves report to the investors things are going very well, now if the higher ups in the IBT can capitalize on this. We've been out in the fields planting and harvesting, winter is coming and it's time to settle up.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm just going to toss this against the wall and see if it sticks. If there truely was a ton of failures wouldn't it show onthe bottom line? I'm mean they are reporting record profits during a down economy so they gotta be doing something that's succeeding. Now wether we agree on how those results are obtained, that's another issue all together. Besides, it's a lot easier to negotiate a better contract when UPS themselves report to the investors things are going very well, now if the higher ups in the IBT can capitalize on this. We've been out in the fields planting and harvesting, winter is coming and it's time to settle up.

The question is if we are set up to fail. Many many days we are set up to fail but because we are the best at what we do we find a way to make it work.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The question is if we are set up to fail. Many many days we are set up to fail but because we are the best at what we do we find a way to make it work.
Maybe that's where I'm different. I don't "fix" the problem they create. The issue never gets resolved if people "find a way to make it work". It's managements job to make it work in the first place and adjust based on the information they have. I can tell you my route has become a lot easier because of the black and white/by the book mentality. I have enough things to worry about during my day, I leave all decision making up to them, it's their job.

JackB, you have just hit on my adopted standard operating procedure. 1) I pull the trailer I'm told to. 2) I being back the trailer I'm told to. 3) if anything deviates me from 1&2 then I bring it to managements attention. That's it. No further concern on my part. At the end of the day succeed or fail I go home with a days pay and in one piece. The rest is up to them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
JackB, you have just hit on my adopted standard operating procedure. 1) I pull the trailer I'm told to. 2) I being back the trailer I'm told to. 3) if anything deviates me from 1&2 then I bring it to managements attention. That's it. No further concern on my part. At the end of the day succeed or fail I go home with a days pay and in one piece. The rest is up to them.
And you will be one of the best employees amongst your peers.

clarnzz

I feel like I am set up for failure when I am dispatched with 100 business stops and horrid load quality. It pisses me off because I don't like to fail, but the human in you makes you say "**** this".

The Milkman

:youreright:
Promising NDA 1030 delivery in extreme rural locations that are impossible to reach myself, and not providing the air drivers we were promised.
Rolling back start times day in and day out, robbing us of the time we need to get NDA off because they are too cheap to pay preloaders enough to keep them working for us.
Overloading the truck because they want to cut a route, but having no plan to get the regular pickups back in time to make the feeders, much less the origin NDA they stupidly committed on my out of town route.
Sending us out on days when a severe ice storm has caused even FedEx to call off the day. You literally could not stand up on a sidewalk anywhere in the city due to ice, much less drive safely.
On and on and on. Today's management is probably the most unrealistic bunch I've ever seen in 34 years. If we don't get rid of some of them, this company is in serious trouble.

:goodpost:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Which is why we keep being set up to fail.

If you bend rules, cut corners and cheat in order to "find a way" to do the impossible...then the impossible becomes the new norm upon which even further improvement will be demanded. It is a vicious circle.

Allowing the impossible to fail is often the only way we can force our management team to make rational decisions. Continually rescuing them from their own incompetence only allows them to continue being incompetent. Stupidity is supposed to be painful. I am more than willing to go the extra mile for a management team that is making correct decisions, but if they are being willfully and intentionally stupid then I will step back and let them suffer the consequences of those choices.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Which is why we keep being set up to fail.

If you bend rules, cut corners and cheat in order to "find a way" to do the impossible...then the impossible becomes the new norm upon which even further improvement will be demanded. It is a vicious circle.
right or wrong
its been the same long before either of us worked for the company. its the same model every SUCCESSFUL business operates by

ymelord

right or wrong
its been the same long before either of us worked for the company. its the same model every SUCCESSFUL business operates by
No disrespect hellfire, but it's not like this at every successful business at all. Case and point zappos, how many zap boxes are in your truck each day. They have no employee turn over, their people love working for them. Many more company's exist.

menotyou

bella amicizia
No disrespect hellfire, but it's not like this at every successful business at all. Case and point zappos, how many zap boxes are in your truck each day. They have no employee turn over, their people love working for them. Many more company's exist.
I was shopping on there the other day. The had a job listed. I looked. They even buy your breakfast and lunch. You can work from home, too! And, 40% off anything on the site. I'd LOVE to work there!!!