Shady stewards/anti union building

Thebrownblob

I’m not even debating you that your local doesn’t suck, it might.

I’m simply saying, you should use your efforts to permanently change those situations by supporting a new group or running yourself.

Oh, and flattery will get you everywhere 😂
I do try to do the right thing, but I also understand the complexities and difficulty of representation.

At the end of the day this is our union, and I want people to get the best representation and outcomes possible. Many times a apathetic membership leads to pathetic leadership.

I’m not even debating you that your local doesn’t suck, it might.

I’m simply saying, you should use your efforts to permanently change those situations by supporting a new group or running yourself.

Oh, and flattery will get you everywhere 😂
I do try to do the right thing, but I also understand the complexities and difficulty of representation.

At the end of the day this is our union, and I want people to get the best representation and outcomes possible. Many times a apathetic membership leads to pathetic leadership.
I agree with you.

I’ll not go into the many instances I witnessed by the former BA and steward. You’d never believe me. And I wouldn’t blame you. I’d NEVER believe it if I hadn’t seen it myself.

ManInBrown

Cut deals for what? And how? I work about 10 1/2 every day. Never horse traded a grievance , and was rarely asked.
Throw a so called “problem driver” under the bus to save a buddy on something. Seen it plenty, and never once had a shop steward that regularly worked more than 9 hours per day. Every last of of em was one of the first out the door every night. You’re the exception.

Thebrownblob

Throw a so called “problem driver” under the bus to save a buddy on something. Seen it plenty, and never once had a shop steward that regularly worked more than 9 hours per day. Every last of of em was one of the first out the door every night. You’re the exception.
Lol perhaps,
but in my experience ups could care less about “taking care” of a steward.
And no offense unless you were in the office when decisions are made. I don’t know how you can be sure if someone was thrown under the bus, or if they were indeed a “problem driver” that the Steward could no longer do much for.
And honestly Steward can only do so much anyway, usually the next step is a hearing involving the business agent and the labor manager, and they will decide.

Yep. Labor manager told me they take care of the stewards to slow grievances. He’d be off by 3-4 each day.

He also shared the union and company would cut deals to make certain problem driver’s (the good guys) terminations stick. They’d work it out before panel, setting up the process with what amounts to a pre planned script.

He was an on car when he told me this. Absolutely horrible human being. I guess that’s how he’s gotten promoted a few times? Seems to be a prerequisite.

I witnessed 3 of these situations occur, two of which he was labor manager.

Thebrownblob

Yep. Labor manager told me they take care of the stewards to slow grievances. He’d be off by 3-4 each day.

He also shared the union and company would cut deals to make certain problem driver’s (the good guys) terminations stick. They’d work it out before panel, setting up the process with what amounts to a pre planned script.

He was an on car when he told me this. Absolutely horrible human being. I guess that’s how he’s gotten promoted a few times? Seems to be a prerequisite.

I witnessed 3 of these situations occur, two of which he was labor manager.
I’m still not certain how that possible?
The grievant would have to agree to a termination and not to go to the panel. Why would anyone agree to that?

I’m still not certain how that possible?
The grievant would have to agree to a termination and not to go to the panel. Why would anyone agree to that?
I should correct myself, to get them to panel.

One I witnessed a good person that wasn’t liked by the steward or company. He had a seatbelt violation and didn’t put it on the MVDC, after asking coworkers for their opinions if he should.

Obviously, with this company, better safe than sorry. But he theorized he wasn’t technically moving (far from the smartest kid), so he said no violations.

They saw an opening on a weak, uneducated individual. Took him upstairs after his route and gave him option of resigning or termination. Steward told him he wouldn’t want a termination on his record. Young man then signed his resignation.

He lost his career over that nonsense. The union that supposed to help, ensured he was a goner.

Union said they couldn’t help because he resigned. They cared less what the steward done.

That steward was placed in with a show of hands vote. I’ve yet to meet anyone that was present for said vote lol.

That steward only stepped down when I dropped a bombshell on the company and union with a recording.

Then they held a legitimate election and guess what happened? Got some decent guys in

Thebrownblob

One I witnessed a good person that wasn’t liked by the steward or company. He had a seatbelt violation and didn’t put it on the MVDC, after asking coworkers for their opinions if he should.

Obviously, with this company, better safe than sorry. But he theorized he wasn’t technically moving (far from the smartest kid), so he said no violations.

They saw an opening on a weak, uneducated individual. Took him upstairs after his route and gave him option of resigning or termination. Steward told him he wouldn’t want a termination on his record. Young man then signed his resignation.

He lost his career over that nonsense. The union that supposed to help, ensured he was a goner.

Union said they couldn’t help because he resigned. They cared less what the steward done.

That steward was placed in with a show of hands vote. I’ve yet to meet anyone that was present for said vote lol.

That steward only stepped down when I dropped a bombshell on the company and union with a recording.

Then they held a legitimate election and guess what happened? Got some decent guys in
Sounds like there should’ve been a legitimate Steward Election. The Steward you’re talking about probably had no idea what the hell he was doing could’ve been manipulated by the company, thinking he was helping and I’m not really even sure why you were there if you’re not a steward. 🤷‍♂️
Suffices to say, a lot of loose ends need to be tied up there. Plenty of weird things going on there.

Sounds like there should’ve been a legitimate Steward Election. The Steward you’re talking about probably had no idea what the hell he was doing could’ve been manipulated by the company, thinking he was helping and I’m not really even sure why you were there if you’re not a steward. 🤷‍♂️
Suffices to say, a lot of loose ends need to be tied up there. Plenty of weird things going on there.
Oh the steward openly stated well before that he needed gone.

It sounds unbelievable, I know.

I saw center manager in his truck that morning and can only imagine that’s when the plan was hatched with the steward.

Buddy of mine had OJS that day and the on car was aware of it, mentioning he hoped it was over before they returned.

Thebrownblob

Oh the steward openly stated well before that he needed gone.

It sounds unbelievable, I know.

I saw center manager in his truck that morning and can only imagine that’s when the plan was hatched with the steward.

Buddy of mine had OJS that day and the on car was aware of it, mentioning he hoped it was over before they returned
Realistically the individual who called themselves a steward, should’ve been given a special meeting in the parking lot. Zero chance I would put up with That.

Realistically the individual who called themselves a steward, should’ve been given a special meeting in the parking lot. Zero chance I would put up with That.
I agree. He eventually tried to attack me over me calling him out.

He then schemed with the company to get me for WP violence.

It was a pretty big deal. Long story short, he stepped down after I produced a recording. They were absolutely certain they had me, both company and union.

Life has a really funny way of working out at times.

I HIGHLY recommend recording all meetings with management if you live in a state that allows it. No one wants to have to record people. But management doesn’t qualify as humankind

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.

Very unique situation at your center within your local. This doesn't happen often in UPS but it seems you handled it well.

Brownt10

This is a situation that happens all over ups because management isn't cycled like before. Nothing you can do about it but file and bring it to management's attention if you want extra hours. No outside stewards will have the time to come over to your building and whine for you. You have to file.
So as a employee with no steward credentials I can start filing grievances?

Wont I be accused possibly for stepping on my stewards toes?

They do file lots of grievances & in my union they are still resolving grievances from over a year ago

Brownt10

There really is nothing precious about it nor is there anything mysterious.

If in fact they were cutting deals “out in the open” that violate your contract or your rights why don’t you file labor charges? Or even call the international and complain?

Or you can come on here and make baseless anonymous claims while you sit on your hands and pay for nothing.

Seems to be a lot of people looking to be victims here. Certainly people in charge of locals have done things they should not and they should be held accountable that requires big boys and big girls doing a little work to hold them accountable.

Remember, the men and women who are representing you are doing just that, representing you, they didn’t always work at your local union hall, and they don’t have to moving forward if they’re not doing their job. SMH
This whole thing is anonymous if you haven’t noticed. I don’t see you putting yourself out there.

This isn’t necessarily about baseless claims but instead a place to bounce ideas and recommendations To one another. Even if someone says the wildest thing or something most here agree with there is no way to back it up which is why instead of being an internet thug actually try to help people experiencing something troubling within the union

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So I’m looking to see if anyone else has experienced stewards that were “okay” for the most part but under the impression they either have no spines or they’re cutting deals w/ management?

Our pt stewards only care about getting hours after preload & the full time stewards are not much help w/ the issues we’re having on preload. The BA seems to be buddy buddy w/ out sups & ignores my text & calls now.

I know everyone is going to tell me to go ahead & be a shop steward & I want to. Big problem is majority of the building is anti union. Over a dozen drivers show up before the shift even starts & load their own trucks. Another half dozen are not even combo/22.3 drivers yet they work preload atleast 4 days a week for over a year. They fight most of us trying to enforce overweights & egress more than management does. Pt employees just worried about the same 5 or so guys staying after preload to milk the clock for 4-5 extra hours every day doing rewraps & folding bags. If they make a stink they lose their Ot.

2 calls to our union president & the secretary says he will get back to us & it’s been over a week. Maybe he has a legit issue, idk.

Before someone claims the drivers are overworked as it is We have it great bc most drivers don’t work past 1730. It’s a city w/ tight house calls.

HAS ANYONE EVER GOTTEN HELP FROM STEWARDS OUTSIDE OF THEIR CURRENT BUILDING TO COME IN AND ESTABLISH THE CONTRACT THAT EVERYONE IS IGNORING?
I did reach out to people on this site for help. They did not come to my building, but told me what to do within my building. And it was extreme help, with no help or support from my steward(s). I had to "man" up. And for that I am extremely grateful, forever. They know who they are. Thanks again brothers.