Shop Steward Advice

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It is possible to be effective without being confrontational.
images-19.jpeg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Lots of good advice here.
The one thing that has not been said yet, that I would like to add, is don't be afraid to tell somebody "I don't know".
There is no shame in it.
With that being said, you are now in the position to find out and return to them in a timely manner with the answers.
I like to marry up my answers with contractual language when I can and always have a case of contract books around to hand to them with the appropriate language highlighted.
It's a good segway and visual aid when answering these questions.
You will find that the longer you are a steward, that you will never know it all and questions will always arise that require some research and investigation.
Your credibility relies on your ability to get the right answers, not to have them off the cuff.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The one thing that has not been said yet, that I would like to add, is don't be afraid to tell somebody "I don't know". There is no shame in it.Your credibility relies on your ability to get the right answers, not to have them off the cuff.

Solid advice.

The quickest way to damage your credibility, as a Steward....

Is to pretend to "know it all".

-Bug-

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If you are in a Right to Work state be prepared to deal with Scabs who wish to tie up much of your time with complaints and expect you to drop everything and deal with them as they have "rights". I love telling them the Membership is taken care of first,and if that isnt good enough to go ask their supervisors about any questions they may have

PT Car Washer

If you are in a Right to Work state be prepared to deal with Scabs who wish to tie up much of your time with complaints and expect you to drop everything and deal with them as they have "rights". I love telling them the Membership is taken care of first,and if that isnt good enough to go ask their supervisors about any questions they may have
Also a good time to sign people up. I have found most new hires sign up with the Union the first time they have a discipline or seniority issue with the company. Most believe that as long as I do my job nothing bad will ever happen to me.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Also a good time to sign people up. I have found most new hires sign up with the Union the first time they have a discipline or seniority issue with the company. Most believe that as long as I do my job nothing bad will ever happen to me.
The people I am referring to are long term Scabs.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We have a few of them both FT and PT. Most from my experience are politically motivated. Tea Baggers.
we have a couple who love Fox News and think they would be paid the same without a union just because they are so superduperspectacular. One guy even rants about how unions will be the Downfall of America.its a trip

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
we have a couple who love Fox News and think they would be paid the same without a union just because they are so superduperspectacular. One guy even rants about how unions will be the Downfall of America.its a trip
As he collects his union negotiated compensation.

Bottom rung

One of our alternate stewards thinks we should do away with the union and work per piece. He says he'd be rich. Hahaha!

Bottom rung

FedEx Home Delivery would love to make this guy a partner.
I told him that he should go there since that's how they run things. He proceeds to tell me how those could be rich if they knew what they were doing. Apparently all those guys don't have a clue. I just laughed uncontrollably.