Should I be worrying about things like this?

Paranoid part timer

First off, just stumbled upon the site, glad this place is a thing! I guess I should start by saying I'm a local sorter, so before people start throwing food at me and booing I should mention that I legitimately care about my work, and take as much pride as possible in what I do. I work in a small center and I'm very tight with the driver's which apparently is a rarity for local sorter. My dad has been a driver for 22 years and I've been on the sort for 2 years, and I want to drive asap when I finally turn 21. But my real concern here is that I do lineup at night, I've been doing so for over a year and I'd like to think I'm decent at it. I've had a couple broken mirrors and bumps against the trucks because as we all know they're parked stupid tight. But last night I had my first window get smashed. My mirrors bumped the side window of a p1000 and the window just blew up. I notified my supervisor and emailed our mechanic. My supervisor called the center manager and then the center manager wanted to talk to me. As it is I'm extremely intimidated by my center manager, so this phone call was pretty nerve racking. He made it clear to me that he was going to write it as an accident and he played the safety card pretty hard. He told me he was really frustrated about it and it was some 1500 dollar window, which has to be BS because I've been told he's a liar by multiple people. So after that phone call I've been nauseas ever since. I didn't sleep a wink last night. I love my job and I really want to drive. But if something stupid like lineup is gonna cause me to have future issues with getting a driving job I'm gonna do everything I can to get someone else to do it, which won't be an issue. To top it off today's my damn birthday which I haven't enjoyed at all because of a stupid window. I assume I'm alright because about every driver and my sup said to not lose sleep over it. But I take my job really seriously, and just want to hear if any of you have had a similar experience as a local sorter and then had any issues getting a driving job. Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get some peace of mind about it.

Pooter

Yes, you screwed up. Learn from it. Always bring your A game.

He's scaring you because he doesn't want you to do it again.

Relax but learn from it. A driver has to deal with a lot more than just parking a truck.

barnyard

KTM rider
Maybe try some anger management counseling. If they try to fire you, that counseling may save your job. Worked for a guy in my building (totally serious.)

Paranoid part timer

Yes, you screwed up. Learn from it. Always bring your A game.

He's scaring you because he doesn't want you to do it again.

Relax but learn from it. A driver has to deal with a lot more than just parking a truck.
Believe me, my dad vents to me about driving constantly. I know you drivers go through a lot of crap every day. My main worry right now is just getting to that point.

Box Ox

One word

Paragraphs

Thank you

1df14c3a9e65555bbc10cfd61ca01212fcd5816628c9ae2b6477ffa0ba135c13.jpg

Paranoid part timer

You've broken a lot of stuff for a 2 year PT Parker.

Maybe try not gunning it in the building.
I take it really slow backing in. My problem every single time is I turn to look at the driver mirror and the pass side bracket hits stuff. I always forget the thing is there like an idiot. Trying my best to learn but having hikkups.

Overpaid Union Thug

First off, just stumbled upon the site, glad this place is a thing! I guess I should start by saying I'm a local sorter, so before people start throwing food at me and booing I should mention that I legitimately care about my work, and take as much pride as possible in what I do. I work in a small center and I'm very tight with the driver's which apparently is a rarity for local sorter. My dad has been a driver for 22 years and I've been on the sort for 2 years, and I want to drive asap when I finally turn 21. But my real concern here is that I do lineup at night, I've been doing so for over a year and I'd like to think I'm decent at it. I've had a couple broken mirrors and bumps against the trucks because as we all know they're parked stupid tight. But last night I had my first window get smashed. My mirrors bumped the side window of a p1000 and the window just blew up. I notified my supervisor and emailed our mechanic. My supervisor called the center manager and then the center manager wanted to talk to me. As it is I'm extremely intimidated by my center manager, so this phone call was pretty nerve racking. He made it clear to me that he was going to write it as an accident and he played the safety card pretty hard. He told me he was really frustrated about it and it was some 1500 dollar window, which has to be BS because I've been told he's a liar by multiple people. So after that phone call I've been nauseas ever since. I didn't sleep a wink last night. I love my job and I really want to drive. But if something stupid like lineup is gonna cause me to have future issues with getting a driving job I'm gonna do everything I can to get someone else to do it, which won't be an issue. To top it off today's my damn birthday which I haven't enjoyed at all because of a stupid window. I assume I'm alright because about every driver and my sup said to not lose sleep over it. But I take my job really seriously, and just want to hear if any of you have had a similar experience as a local sorter and then had any issues getting a driving job. Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get some peace of mind about it.

You should be worried. I've seen local sorters get banned from driving the trucks for a year after wrecking them. That pisses their coworkers of because they end up having to pick up the slack and it could also cause you to get passed up for a chance at driving should an opening need to be filled during that time. Yes, the trucks are parked tight but it can be done. Don't rush it. The trick is getting the key trucks parked just right. Meaning...the trucks that have to be parked first because they are behind/next to poles or other structures. If you get those in right (particularly the ones on the ends) then there will usually be extra space on down the dock. I always put the trucks on both ends of the dock as close to the wall or structure they are parked next to first.

browner89

I take it really slow backing in. My problem every single time is I turn to look at the driver mirror and the pass side bracket hits stuff. I always forget the thing is there like an idiot. Trying my best to learn but having hikkups.

Try stopping the truck before turning to look at something else and then continue your back. Once you're lined up pull that mirror in.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Take your time and do the job correctly. I don't know of any vehicle positioner including myself who hasn't broken a mirror or something small, but windows are a bit different. You need to be focused on all sides of the package car.

You'll be fine...it won't affect your driving in a few years.

happy birthday, btw

Paranoid part timer

Try stopping the truck before turning to look at something else and then continue your back. Once you're lined up pull that mirror in.
That pretty much is my technique, but this time I just didn't pull the mirror in thinking I had enough room. It's an angled spot that is notorious for breaking windows and mirrors, I just never thought I'd be added to the list of people to break something at that spot. One of our seasoned drivers bent the hell out of that 1000s front bumper a couple weeks back when his rear end caught it. It happens I guess, just feel like a total bonehead about it. I do my best to be careful but failed pretty hard this time clearly.

Paranoid part timer

Take your time and do the job correctly. I don't know of any vehicle positioner including myself who hasn't broken a mirror or something small, but windows are a bit different. You need to be focused on all sides of the package car.

You'll be fine...it won't affect your driving in a few years.

happy birthday, btw
Thanks, yeah, my particular building is constantly having glass and mirrors broken. Not sure if we're tighter than normal or just unlucky. I've personally had 2 mirrors broken and this window. Which is 3 things more than I'd like. Every time for me forgetting the pass side mirrors are out. I'll just try to be really careful from here on out.

Paranoid part timer

Maybe try some anger management counseling. If they try to fire you, that counseling may save your job. Worked for a guy in my building (totally serious.)
Haha, first time I've heard of someone doing that. Anyone that knows me knows I'm super passive, I rarely get mad unless it's been a really bad day, which is pretty rare. Me in anger management would be pretty comical I think.