Should I file a grievance?

john chesney

I searched the forum to see if someone had a similar issue to mine and I didn't come across any, my situation is a bit unique and seeing if I should file grievance and more importantly, what good could come out of it. I was a RTD driver for seasonal , I mostly just shuttled and delivered air... I only did ground about 4 days throughout the holiday season. One guy in front of me did ground daily and qualified. He claimed he had more seniority over me and one of the supervisors confirmed this. The list just went up for FT drivers and I find out that I have seniority over him. I understand that this is partly my fault for not being aware of this... we have the same hire date & all.... he just lied to me and I took his word after a sup thought the same thing... I dropped the ball there. Now, I will be hired FT and have a lower pay-rate then him since I didn't qualify (not given the chance) and also lost out on much income throughout the holiday. So, my questions are 1) Can I file a grievance? 2)Should I file one? 3) What good could come out of it? 4) Couldn't this hurt me when it comes to qualifying if I piss off the supervisors?

Edit: Not sure if it is worth noting but I also thought it was weird that they brought in drivers from another state because of the volume we have had....they are still here
I only read enough to say welcome to Ups

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I searched the forum to see if someone had a similar issue to mine and I didn't come across any, my situation is a bit unique and seeing if I should file grievance and more importantly, what good could come out of it. I was a RTD driver for seasonal , I mostly just shuttled and delivered air... I only did ground about 4 days throughout the holiday season. One guy in front of me did ground daily and qualified. He claimed he had more seniority over me and one of the supervisors confirmed this. The list just went up for FT drivers and I find out that I have seniority over him. I understand that this is partly my fault for not being aware of this... we have the same hire date & all.... he just lied to me and I took his word after a sup thought the same thing... I dropped the ball there. Now, I will be hired FT and have a lower pay-rate then him since I didn't qualify (not given the chance) and also lost out on much income throughout the holiday. So, my questions are 1) Can I file a grievance? 2)Should I file one? 3) What good could come out of it? 4) Couldn't this hurt me when it comes to qualifying if I piss off the supervisors?

Edit: Not sure if it is worth noting but I also thought it was weird that they brought in drivers from another state because of the volume we have had....they are still here

How is seniority determined if you have the same hire date? Do you go by last name? Also, he will not have a higher pay rate per se, he will just move up the pay progression earlier. Hope you can get it sorted out.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
My view on filing a grievance.... Its just paper and the worst they can do is throw it out.
But sometimes a long shot will stick. I write up a grievance and hold it in my hand when I go talk to supervisors that way they kind of know ok... we either squash this now or hes going to hand me the pink copy. Lol

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
How is seniority determined if you have the same hire date? Do you go by last name? Also, he will not have a higher pay rate per se, he will just move up the pay progression earlier. Hope you can get it sorted out.
I think the contract actually talks about a coin flip

Who handled the first package?

Two of us were hired the same day but I have seniority since I finished training and went to work, while he did his training. So by an hour or whatever put me over him.

Rock0

seniority date is determined by who sent in their second application for "re-hire" first... I sent mine in 3 mins before him, therefore I have seniority.... if we sent them in at the same time, it would be determined by coin flip (this is coming from HR)

Grieve It

Local 174
And don't ever believe what a supervisor tells you.
UPS management is probably the most deceptive group of individuals that I have ever worked for and it's more than likely a way for them to 'deal' with the union. Although, they could probably accomplish so much more in by being fair and honest, they choose to take the complete opposite approach. Instead, when people like yourself find out that they were screwed over, which most of the time we do, that's what starts the grievance procedures. It didn't take too many times of being wronged for me to file on everything I saw. I'd file on a supervisor looking at me the wrong way if I could.

But yes, you want to file a grievance. If this is the first time in doing so, putting the pen to paper will be one of the harder things you've done in your career here. If you don't file, you will undoubtedly regret it.